Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wes was on 92.8 earlier talking about Georgia Tech and CPJ.

Wes Durham

I think everybody has got to realize that one of the things I was told when I showed up in 1995 to start doing Georgia Tech was a lot of alums and people who support the program said that the reason Georgia Tech is special is because it is unique. It is unique in its heritage and it's unique in its academic curriculum. And I think from time to time people in this market and people in college athletics lose sight of that. Georgia Tech's not for everybody. They don't have a liberal curriculum per se, guys. Everybody there compare to... the worst comparison ever is to say Georgia Tech's like Stanford. That is absolutely ridiculous. Stanford's got a liberal curriculum a mile long. It's a private institution; once they get somebody on campus they can basically design a curriculum that allows them to be successful. Georgia Tech is a Top 5, Top 10 academic institution that is trying to compete in a Top 5 conference in major college football so it's a difficult job. I laughed today when I saw the poll that 92.9 put up on twitter about candidates for the job. I mean, c'mon now, Mike Leach. Lane Kiffin. C'mon fellas. We can do better than that, that's not real. Those aren't guys that are going to come to Atlanta and try... they are not going to get the 5-star guys. Remember Calvin Johnson came to Georgia Tech because Calvin Johnson's mother, Erica Johnson has a PhD in Education and wanted to make sure that her if her son's football career went south he would have a degree to fall back on. It's a different place. Sometimes because of Georgia, because of Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee, name 'em. People lose sight of that. It's a difficult job to hire for. Remember Paul Johnson was offered more money to go to SMU and potentially more money to go to Duke when he came eleven years ago but he saw an opportunity because of its history and because of its passionate fanbase to come here and maybe potentially make it work and he ended up being the most successful coach since Bobby Dodd and arguably most successful coach since World War II.

Host What do fans want moving forward?

Wes Durham
Well they probably want... everybody seems to pinpoint the offense. And I understand that because it's not for everybody. They see everybody run the spread and the RPO and stuff like that. I don't know what they want offensively. The fans can have some input I guess but really now that's on the shoulders of Todd Stansbury who played football at Georgia Tech. Who, fortunately for Georgia Tech, knows what behind the curtain is like. There are a few guys out there coaching who knows what behind the curtain is like at the Institute and how difficult that process is and I think it's important to realize that. You know, you're not going to come in here wave the magic wand and create a liberal curriculum that's going to allow you to recruit every four or five star guy in the country who may or may not be able to get in school. That's important to remember too. The recruiting that Chan Gailey and those guys did on the way out the door, the Jonathan Dwyer, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Nesbitt, that group. Those were guys that they cultivated over two, two-and-a-half year period. The guy that can give you great insight on it is Roddy Jones. Chan's big downfall apparently was that he didn't beat Georgia. You gotta be careful what you're looking for offensively, I think some form of hybrid of what they've been running with what may be a spread looks like... Paul's offense basically is a spread, the quarterback just goes under center and the slot receivers are drawn in as A-backs. For the most part, it is a spread offense that you see out of other schools in what is now much more conventional college ball.
What a response! He sounds like a really smart guy with a pretty reasonable grasp on the situation.

Wes was on 92.8 earlier talking about Georgia Tech and CPJ.

Wes Durham

I think everybody has got to realize that one of the things I was told when I showed up in 1995 to start doing Georgia Tech was a lot of alums and people who support the program said that the reason Georgia Tech is special is because it is unique. It is unique in its heritage and it's unique in its academic curriculum. And I think from time to time people in this market and people in college athletics lose sight of that. Georgia Tech's not for everybody. They don't have a liberal curriculum per se, guys. Everybody there compare to... the worst comparison ever is to say Georgia Tech's like Stanford. That is absolutely ridiculous. Stanford's got a liberal curriculum a mile long. It's a private institution; once they get somebody on campus they can basically design a curriculum that allows them to be successful. Georgia Tech is a Top 5, Top 10 academic institution that is trying to compete in a Top 5 conference in major college football so it's a difficult job. I laughed today when I saw the poll that 92.9 put up on twitter about candidates for the job. I mean, c'mon now, Mike Leach. Lane Kiffin. C'mon fellas. We can do better than that, that's not real. Those aren't guys that are going to come to Atlanta and try... they are not going to get the 5-star guys. Remember Calvin Johnson came to Georgia Tech because Calvin Johnson's mother, Erica Johnson has a PhD in Education and wanted to make sure that her if her son's football career went south he would have a degree to fall back on. It's a different place. Sometimes because of Georgia, because of Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee, name 'em. People lose sight of that. It's a difficult job to hire for. Remember Paul Johnson was offered more money to go to SMU and potentially more money to go to Duke when he came eleven years ago but he saw an opportunity because of its history and because of its passionate fanbase to come here and maybe potentially make it work and he ended up being the most successful coach since Bobby Dodd and arguably most successful coach since World War II.

Host What do fans want moving forward?

Wes Durham
Well they probably want... everybody seems to pinpoint the offense. And I understand that because it's not for everybody. They see everybody run the spread and the RPO and stuff like that. I don't know what they want offensively. The fans can have some input I guess but really now that's on the shoulders of Todd Stansbury who played football at Georgia Tech. Who, fortunately for Georgia Tech, knows what behind the curtain is like. There are a few guys out there coaching who knows what behind the curtain is like at the Institute and how difficult that process is and I think it's important to realize that. You know, you're not going to come in here wave the magic wand and create a liberal curriculum that's going to allow you to recruit every four or five star guy in the country who may or may not be able to get in school. That's important to remember too. The recruiting that Chan Gailey and those guys did on the way out the door, the Jonathan Dwyer, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Nesbitt, that group. Those were guys that they cultivated over two, two-and-a-half year period. The guy that can give you great insight on it is Roddy Jones. Chan's big downfall apparently was that he didn't beat Georgia. You gotta be careful what you're looking for offensively, I think some form of hybrid of what they've been running with what may be a spread looks like... Paul's offense basically is a spread, the quarterback just goes under center and the slot receivers are drawn in as A-backs. For the most part, it is a spread offense that you see out of other schools in what is now much more conventional college ball.

So please everybody read this, and read all the commnets from current and former Tech players and understand CPJ was not just a football coach to these guys. Some always questioned our level of recruiting, find Shawn Kawagai's tweet and read it and you will understand what CPJ was and is to Tech.

Now that being said,
My first choice is Monken, get over the option and just look at his coaching job at Army
Second is Bohannon at KSU, he runs wrinkles of CPJ and some other so that would make your TO haters happy.
But here is the best scenario, get on the phone with little brother in Alabama and get Gus Malzahn here. He knows the option, studied from the master, CPJ, he runs a spread, and his offense will adapt well with our current personnel. He needs an athletic QB.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
So please everybody read this, and read all the commnets from current and former Tech players and understand CPJ was not just a football coach to these guys. Some always questioned our level of recruiting, find Shawn Kawagai's tweet and read it and you will understand what CPJ was and is to Tech.

Now that being said,
My first choice is Monken, get over the option and just look at his coaching job at Army
Second is Bohannon at KSU, he runs wrinkles of CPJ and some other so that would make your TO haters happy.
But here is the best scenario, get on the phone with little brother in Alabama and get Gus Malzahn here. He knows the option, studied from the master, CPJ, he runs a spread, and his offense will adapt well with our current personnel. He needs an athletic QB.
GT can't afford Gus Malzahn's sticker price;)

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Malzahn would not be good at Tech. His offense has been pretty atrocious at Auburn.

Monken would be a great choice. He is a heck of a coach.

Satterfield would probably be a good one.

Not crazy about Elliot. Clemson's offense isn't good because it's innovative, it's good almost in spite of the playcalling.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Malzahn would not be good at Tech. His offense has been pretty atrocious at Auburn.

Monken would be a great choice. He is a heck of a coach.

Satterfield would probably be a good one.

Not crazy about Elliot. Clemson's offense isn't good because it's innovative, it's good almost in spite of the playcalling.

With respect to Coach Elliot whom I am sure is quite capable, with a defensive line and quarterback play like they have "innovation" is the least of their worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.