Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
Some comments may not be strict for "potential head coach hires", but I'll try my best. I'll give whoever we hire a chance.

I missed out on most of the news today--I didn't hear until about 5:30. I'm still catching up.

I'm trying to piece together how surprised Stansbury was. Rumors had made it to this board, and he talks to the staff, so I have to think he had an idea. But Quinlan indicated it was a surprise. Even if it was, Stansbury has made comments that show he was planning for the next coach, if not this soon. Stansbury could have asked CPJ to wait a week or two to announce; since he didn't, I think he sees more benefit in moving now. A lot of reporters who are pretty smart think this is one of the best years to get a good coach.

Yesterday, I thought I had a good idea of who the next coach should. I don't have nearly as good an idea tonight. I can say what I think the characteristics are.

I'm not that interested in the offensive or defensive scheme the head coach brings, because I'd like us to hire a coach that organizes and leads really well, and has a track record of overachieving at the school they're at. Saban overachieved at Michigan State before going to LSU. His practices are legendary for how disciplined they are. Urban Meyer overachieved at Utah, and reports from his practices are the same. Saban has already brought RPO offenses to Alabama, and rumors are that he's going to get an even more wide open OC when his current OC gets a head coaching job.

O'Leary had a great offense because he hired (or was friends with and hired) a great offensive coach. Having great coaches working for you makes you look great. I don't care if you're personally an innovator (and we probably won't get anyone as innovative as CPJ was)

So,
Quality #1: Overachiever
Quality #2: Organizer
Quality #3: Adaptable

Saban and Meyer showed all three as primary characteristics. There's a lot I may not like about them, but they're successful for those three reasons. They also have a ton of energy, and so does Dabo. That's all over the place in football, but I think we should see it anyway, so
Quality #4: Passion/Energy

I'll also add
Quality #5: Good salesman -> you have to sell the program and the school and your team to fans and recruits and the community. All the time. Dabo rocks this quality. So does Mack Brown.

Another indicator is that they keep having assistants hired away--they cultivate and help people thrive. They delegate responsibility so that they can scale well.

The only thing I know about Satterfield, is that he's overachieved at App State. That's a good sign.

Jeff Brohm may not take the Louisville job, because of the rebuild. GT is warmer. Purdue isn't the easiest place to recruit to either. Maybe here is an option. {wild speculation, truly unlikely}

I haven't seen much evidence that Wisenhunt has changed a lot over his coaching career. Rules have changed, offenses have changed, players have changed. I don't know about Key.

Can Josh Heupel do it? I'm not sure if UCF is great because Scott Frost made them good, or if Josh Heupel made them good.

Also, any assistant coach should be able to walk in and impress Stansbury with his energy and plans and innovative ideas. If you can't walk in and do that, you shouldn't be able to get hired as an ASSISTANT coach. If you can't do that, it should rule you out, but ruling you in should be what you've achieved at various stops. The interview is to make sure you aren't Bill Lewis.

Finally,
Quality #6: Integrity

No on Briles, no on Kiffen, no on Petrino. That kind of thing will blow up on a school.

Animal02

Banned
Lol, it appears he may have alresdy done it. But I’m not sure where the animosity comes from when Paul left on his own accord? He didn’t even get fired, but he’s enraged at tech fans?
He may have left on his own accord, he may have had his arm twisted as well. If TStan fails to talk to any coaches from the CPJ tree....Monken in particular.....it will be obvious what really happened.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Some comments may not be strict for "potential head coach hires", but I'll try my best. I'll give whoever we hire a chance.

I missed out on most of the news today--I didn't hear until about 5:30. I'm still catching up.

I'm trying to piece together how surprised Stansbury was. Rumors had made it to this board, and he talks to the staff, so I have to think he had an idea. But Quinlan indicated it was a surprise. Even if it was, Stansbury has made comments that show he was planning for the next coach, if not this soon. Stansbury could have asked CPJ to wait a week or two to announce; since he didn't, I think he sees more benefit in moving now. A lot of reporters who are pretty smart think this is one of the best years to get a good coach.

Yesterday, I thought I had a good idea of who the next coach should. I don't have nearly as good an idea tonight. I can say what I think the characteristics are.

I'm not that interested in the offensive or defensive scheme the head coach brings, because I'd like us to hire a coach that organizes and leads really well, and has a track record of overachieving at the school they're at. Saban overachieved at Michigan State before going to LSU. His practices are legendary for how disciplined they are. Urban Meyer overachieved at Utah, and reports from his practices are the same. Saban has already brought RPO offenses to Alabama, and rumors are that he's going to get an even more wide open OC when his current OC gets a head coaching job.

O'Leary had a great offense because he hired (or was friends with and hired) a great offensive coach. Having great coaches working for you makes you look great. I don't care if you're personally an innovator (and we probably won't get anyone as innovative as CPJ was)

So,
Quality #1: Overachiever
Quality #2: Organizer
Quality #3: Adaptable

Saban and Meyer showed all three as primary characteristics. There's a lot I may not like about them, but they're successful for those three reasons. They also have a ton of energy, and so does Dabo. That's all over the place in football, but I think we should see it anyway, so
Quality #4: Passion/Energy

I'll also add
Quality #5: Good salesman -> you have to sell the program and the school and your team to fans and recruits and the community. All the time. Dabo rocks this quality. So does Mack Brown.

Another indicator is that they keep having assistants hired away--they cultivate and help people thrive. They delegate responsibility so that they can scale well.

The only thing I know about Satterfield, is that he's overachieved at App State. That's a good sign.

Jeff Brohm may not take the Louisville job, because of the rebuild. GT is warmer. Purdue isn't the easiest place to recruit to either. Maybe here is an option. {wild speculation, truly unlikely}

I haven't seen much evidence that Wisenhunt has changed a lot over his coaching career. Rules have changed, offenses have changed, players have changed. I don't know about Key.

Can Josh Heupel do it? I'm not sure if UCF is great because Scott Frost made them good, or if Josh Heupel made them good.

Also, any assistant coach should be able to walk in and impress Stansbury with his energy and plans and innovative ideas. If you can't walk in and do that, you shouldn't be able to get hired as an ASSISTANT coach. If you can't do that, it should rule you out, but ruling you in should be what you've achieved at various stops. The interview is to make sure you aren't Bill Lewis.

Finally,
Quality #6: Integrity

No on Briles, no on Kiffen, no on Petrino. That kind of thing will blow up on a school.
Butch Jones is a good salesman;) I could imagine him at the GT press conference talking about how he was going to build the GT football program "Brick by Brick":)

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Wes was on 92.8 earlier talking about Georgia Tech and CPJ.

Wes Durham

I think everybody has got to realize that one of the things I was told when I showed up in 1995 to start doing Georgia Tech was a lot of alums and people who support the program said that the reason Georgia Tech is special is because it is unique. It is unique in its heritage and it's unique in its academic curriculum. And I think from time to time people in this market and people in college athletics lose sight of that. Georgia Tech's not for everybody. They don't have a liberal curriculum per se, guys. Everybody there compare to... the worst comparison ever is to say Georgia Tech's like Stanford. That is absolutely ridiculous. Stanford's got a liberal curriculum a mile long. It's a private institution; once they get somebody on campus they can basically design a curriculum that allows them to be successful. Georgia Tech is a Top 5, Top 10 academic institution that is trying to compete in a Top 5 conference in major college football so it's a difficult job. I laughed today when I saw the poll that 92.9 put up on twitter about candidates for the job. I mean, c'mon now, Mike Leach. Lane Kiffin. C'mon fellas. We can do better than that, that's not real. Those aren't guys that are going to come to Atlanta and try... they are not going to get the 5-star guys. Remember Calvin Johnson came to Georgia Tech because Calvin Johnson's mother, Erica Johnson has a PhD in Education and wanted to make sure that her if her son's football career went south he would have a degree to fall back on. It's a different place. Sometimes because of Georgia, because of Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee, name 'em. People lose sight of that. It's a difficult job to hire for. Remember Paul Johnson was offered more money to go to SMU and potentially more money to go to Duke when he came eleven years ago but he saw an opportunity because of its history and because of its passionate fanbase to come here and maybe potentially make it work and he ended up being the most successful coach since Bobby Dodd and arguably most successful coach since World War II.

Host What do fans want moving forward?

Wes Durham
Well they probably want... everybody seems to pinpoint the offense. And I understand that because it's not for everybody. They see everybody run the spread and the RPO and stuff like that. I don't know what they want offensively. The fans can have some input I guess but really now that's on the shoulders of Todd Stansbury who played football at Georgia Tech. Who, fortunately for Georgia Tech, knows what behind the curtain is like. There are a few guys out there coaching who knows what behind the curtain is like at the Institute and how difficult that process is and I think it's important to realize that. You know, you're not going to come in here wave the magic wand and create a liberal curriculum that's going to allow you to recruit every four or five star guy in the country who may or may not be able to get in school. That's important to remember too. The recruiting that Chan Gailey and those guys did on the way out the door, the Jonathan Dwyer, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Nesbitt, that group. Those were guys that they cultivated over two, two-and-a-half year period. The guy that can give you great insight on it is Roddy Jones. Chan's big downfall apparently was that he didn't beat Georgia. You gotta be careful what you're looking for offensively, I think some form of hybrid of what they've been running with what may be a spread looks like... Paul's offense basically is a spread, the quarterback just goes under center and the slot receivers are drawn in as A-backs. For the most part, it is a spread offense that you see out of other schools in what is now much more conventional college ball.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
He may have left on his own accord, he may have had his arm twisted as well. If TStan fails to talk to any coaches from the CPJ tree....Monken in particular.....it will be obvious what really happened.

It’s possible, but I kinda find it hard to believe because it definitely seemed Paul was going to be here at least next year. Unless the clubbing we got from the dwags caused big boosters to force TS hand, I just think Paul was ready to hang it up for a bit. He sure looked defeated in that press conference after the game.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Wes Durham

I think everybody has got to realize that one of the things I was told when I showed up in 1995 to start doing Georgia Tech was a lot of alums and people who support the program said that the reason Georgia Tech is special is because it is unique. It is unique in its heritage and it's unique in its academic curriculum. And I think from time to time people in this market and people in college athletics lose sight of that. Georgia Tech's not for everybody. They don't have a liberal curriculum per se, guys. Everybody there compare to... the worst comparison ever is to say Georgia Tech's like Stanford. That is absolutely ridiculous. Stanford's got a liberal curriculum a mile long. It's a private institution; once they get somebody on campus they can basically design a curriculum that allows them to be successful. Georgia Tech is a Top 5, Top 10 academic institution that is trying to compete in a Top 5 conference in major college football so it's a difficult job. I laughed today when I saw the poll that 92.9 put up on twitter about candidates for the job. I mean, c'mon now, Mike Leach. Lane Kiffin. C'mon fellas. We can do better than that, that's not real. Those aren't guys that are going to come to Atlanta and try... they are not going to get the 5-star guys. Remember Calvin Johnson came to Georgia Tech because Calvin Johnson's mother, Erica Johnson has a PhD in Education and wanted to make sure that her if her son's football career went south he would have a degree to fall back on. It's a different place. Sometimes because of Georgia, because of Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee, name 'em. People lose sight of that. It's a difficult job to hire for. Remember Paul Johnson was offered more money to go to SMU and potentially more money to go to Duke when he came eleven years ago but he saw an opportunity because of its history and because of its passionate fanbase to come here and maybe potentially make it work and he ended up being the most successful coach since Bobby Dodd and arguably most successful coach since World War II.

Wes Durham
Well they probably want... everybody seems to pinpoint the offense. And I understand that because it's not for everybody. They see everybody run the spread and the RPO and stuff like that. I don't know what they want offensively. The fans can have some input I guess but really now that's on the shoulders of Todd Stansbury who played football at Georgia Tech. Who, fortunately for Georgia Tech, knows what behind the curtain is like. There are a few guys out there coaching who knows what behind the curtain is like at the Institute and how difficult that process is and I think it's important to realize that. You know, you're not going to come in here wave the magic wand and create a liberal curriculum that's going to allow you to recruit every four or five star guy in the country who may or may not be able to get in school. That's important to remember too. The recruiting that Chan Gailey and those guys did on the way out the door, the Jonathan Dwyer, Demaryius Thomas, Josh Nesbitt, that group. Those were guys that they cultivated over two, two-and-a-half year period. The guy that can give you great insight on it is Roddy Jones. Chan's big downfall apparently was that he didn't beat Georgia. You gotta be careful what you're looking for offensively, I think some form of hybrid of what they've been running with what may be a spread looks like... Paul's offense basically is a spread, the quarterback just goes under center and the slot receivers are drawn in as A-backs. For the most part, it is a spread offense that you see out of other schools in what is now much more conventional college ball.
CPJ was not more successful than Bobby Dodd:rolleyes: Wes was totally wrong about that:cigar:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Wes Durham

Wes Durham

Give Wes a whistle and let him coach. I don’t know what kind of coach he’d be but he understands Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It’s possible, but I kinda find it hard to believe because it definitely seemed Paul was going to be here at least next year. Unless the clubbing we got from the dwags caused big boosters to force TS hand, I just think Paul was ready to hang it up for a bit. He sure looked defeated in that press conference after the game.
I think it may have been a firing disguised as retirement:cigar:

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Wes Durham

Wes Durham

Wes Durham for head ball coach.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Getting to the convo late so I haven’t read each page, but I haven’t seen Matt Campbell’s name mentioned. Does anybody know if there would be interest from either side with him?

Animal02

Banned
“Big boosters”. People with more money than brains.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck

Wes Durham

Wes Durham

Wes obviously has good points, but nothing that hasn’t been discussed on here at some point. I wish Wes was still calling our games, I’m not hating on Demetra, he tries hard, but it’s not the same.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
“Big boosters”. People with more money than brains.

Not denying that. But that $ drives the program for the most part. But I know you are a strong PJ supporter seeing your post for a long time, so I feel you will think he was forced out regardless.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
People think Dabo would leave for Bama. I don't see Dabo ever leaving Clemson. They may rename parts of the campus after the guy by the time he's done. I know he went to Bama, but Clemson football is the house he built.
Saban Leaving Bama is years away so who knows what the potential coaches will look like, but if Dabo was to go there, Clemson would promote Venables to head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.