Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It’s sad but I think a lot of people will hope GT loses in future to prove a point
No matter the coach I will use stats and fact to base opinions and defend them (y) I hope our FEI offense continues to be top 25 and I hope our special teams and defense stops being below 80. Any coach who does this is okay with me as long as they uphold to GT principles. :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Then not having any players on the roster to run the TO, CPJ should have never been hired to start with.
I wonder if you saw the 2007 Humanitarian Bowl after Coach was appointed. They had several shots of him watching the game and the sheer contempt on his face at the waste of talent on the field when we were had the ball was priceless. One of the reasons he came to Tech instead of Duke was that he knew the players we had would fit with his O very well indeed. And that was, n0 doubt, one of the reasons Tech hired him.

What I'm hoping is that our next coach after the one we are about to hire won't have the same look on his face when he watches us play.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
So in my opinion CPJ has been extremely frustrated this year and at times showed it. Since the players on the field are his choices I don’t think the games per se, are/was the source of his frustrations. I’m very concerned and hope I’m wrong, but CPJ may have gotten to the end of his rope with the lack of commitment, financially, to developing the program as a whole ( coaches pay, hiring, recruiting, facilities etc ). He is very confident in his system and I’m sure he feels he is oh so close. If he has info that this latest financial commitment and donor drive for upgrades is the pinnacle of The Hills willingness to upgrade Tech sports that alone may have been enough to lose him. CPJ may not see a new Edge Center, locker rooms and 4-5 more recruiters as a real commitment.

Not trying to argue pro or con about his system but it’s worked at every level, if CPJ thinks Tech has committed to wholesale upgrades on and off the field, why would he leave ? If on the other hand, he has seen the “commitment” and it’s not enough ( in his mind ) then why stay ? TStan saying we can’t out Clemson Clemson could be seen as the most important statement made today about the situation.

CPJ isn’t done coaching, I think he’s done with Tech

Like I said I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
So in my opinion CPJ has been extremely frustrated this year and at times showed it. Since the players on the field are his choices I don’t think the games per se, are/was the source of his frustrations. I’m very concerned and hope I’m wrong, but CPJ may have gotten to the end of his rope with the lack of commitment, financially, to developing the program as a whole ( coaches pay, hiring, recruiting, facilities etc ). He is very confident in his system and I’m sure he feels he is oh so close. If he has info that this latest financial commitment and donor drive for upgrades is the pinnacle of The Hills willingness to upgrade Tech sports that alone may have been enough to lose him. CPJ may not see a new Edge Center, locker rooms and 4-5 more recruiters as a real commitment.

Not trying to argue pro or con about his system but it’s worked at every level, if CPJ thinks Tech has committed to wholesale upgrades on and off the field, why would he leave ? If on the other hand, he has seen the “commitment” and it’s not enough ( in his mind ) then why stay ? TStan saying we can’t out Clemson Clemson could be seen as the most important statement made today about the situation.

CPJ isn’t done coaching, I think he’s done with Tech

Like I said I hope I’m wrong.
He may be done coaching. It is a more than full time job with little thanks from a sizeable (and ignorant) portion of the fan base. There are several other money making possibilities, from writing to consulting to guest TV & radio.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I still want a coach that's going to marry CPJ's flex option with Mike Leach's Air Raid.

Monken HC + Kliff Kingsbury (not gonna happen) as OC.

That would offense would be ridiculously fun, and have DC's quitting or fired at half time.

While CPJ is on sabbatical, he needs to go to Pullman and have kids with Mike Leach.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He may be done coaching. It is a more than full time job with little thanks from a sizeable (and ignorant) portion of the fan base. There are several other money making possibilities, from writing to consulting to guest TV & radio.

I suspect he may take an FCS job if offered one in a geographic region that makes sense for him. Somewhere he can just teach the x's and o's and not worry about the other stuff.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Art Briles or bust....he can let his boy be the coach in waiting.

Everyone is overlooking the fact that the hill will have our next coach on recruiting 'probation' until he can prove he can graduate players-which it TOTAL & COMPLETE BS.
Whoever is the next coach will struggle until they hire 20 consultants to comb the county for kids that can hack it academically and play big boy football...in the mean time we need someone with BIG name recognition.
Art would crawl over glass to come back and get a chance to redeem himself.
HELL to the no on briles!

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
That's not true at all. He inherited a consistently .500 program with perennial top 25 recruiting classes.
Dude Bielema was 4-8 his last year and 1-7 in the SEC.

Morris may be a complete failure when all is said and done, but 4-8/1-7 to 2-10/0-8 isn't that much different.

Last edited:

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Does Kelly Bryant come with Elliott?
I’ve wondered the same thing. I’ve got mixed feelings about Elliott, it’s the same as others have said, he’s a good coach and great recruiter but can he do that at GT, but wonder if that’s who we end up hiring I wonder if Kelly Bryant would come with him. I know he has Visited Auburn today as his last official visit but that was before CPJ retired. Miami was in his list but he dropped that and now they’re saying his top three are Auburn out front followed by UNC and Mizzou with Arkansas and Mississippi State on the outside looking in. I know we wouldn’t hire Elliott just based on him bringing Bryant with him but if he did that would be awesome to have him for the first year of the new era and then Lucas Johnson could come in. If Elliott gets offered and takes the job I think he will at least reach out to Bryant. He’s not making his decision until signing day

Status
Not open for further replies.