Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

WearGoldToGameDays

Georgia Tech Fan
Collins resume:

As you can see, every place he's been a main DC (outside of FIU), he's fielded extremely good defenses to elite defenses.

I see what you’re saying but I’m bit skeptical of the stats. He’s only been at each place for a year or two and Miss State and UF had really good Defenses the year before he got there too.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You haven’t traveled much, have you? I’m sorta kidding you, sorta not — that is a pretty provincial attitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been to 5 continents. I have been in every area of the U.S.,, including Philly multiple times (been to a 76ers game and a Flyers game), and I have lived in NY and IN, along with the SE. Trust me - Philly is not where you go for a lot of common sense or great Winter weather.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Lol. The very first GIF was a triple option.
giphy.gif

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Still want Monken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. But, if these folks know what they are talking about, he may not even get a discussion. What he did at Army (I don't care about the competition - heck, Temple lost to Villanova) is really impressive. Oh well. I will support our coach, but when I see incompetence and poor offense, it will be pointed out. I hope I don't see either.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have been to 5 continents. I have been in every area of the U.S.,, including Philly multiple times (been to a 76ers game and a Flyers game), and I have lived in NY and IN, along with the SE. Trust me - Philly is not where you go for a lot of common sense or great Winter weather.

WC Fields was pretty explicit about Philly.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Ironically Tech and Temple are tied for 23rd in the country in scoring offense this year and we finished 15th in the country in points per a drive, while they finished 16th. I know this doesn’t necessarily correlate, but if the offense roughly stays about as effective and the defense improves under a defensive minded head coach...then we’d be in pretty good shape. Big assumption, I know, but interesting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ironically Tech and Temple are tied for 23rd in the country in scoring offense this year and we finished 15th in the country in points per a drive, while they finished 16th. I know this doesn’t necessarily correlate, but if the offense roughly stays about as effective and the defense improves under a defensive minded head coach...then we’d be in pretty good shape. Big assumption, I know, but interesting.
Where did you get "we finished 15th in the country in points per a drive, while they finished 16th"
According to https://public.tableau.com/shared/PPKNK9XG7?:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no what you claim is not the case. They were 55th at 2.5 points per drive. We were rank 9 and 3.3 points per drive.

FEI for GT was 17 while Temple was 57.

As for total offense, they ran 13.5 drives a game compared to our 10.9. Having similar scoring offense to a team when you have 24% more drives than the other team isn't great, especially against a weaker schedule.

After reading up on the offensive coordinator Temple currently uses, I think he runs a scheme we will be able to compete with. I do think we execute better than they do, but I also think they brought in a the OC in 2017 and they might not have had the personnel to run what he does well. There was certainly an improvement in Temple's offense from 2017-2018 which is always a good thing, but we should strive for better than the 50-60 range in OFEI.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It has been many years of watching TEs destroy our D in seem routes. Well guess what? We are about have a TE of our own. Payback is going to be a ***** dressed in black.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It has been many years of watching TEs destroy our D in seem routes. Well guess what? We are about have a TE of our own. Payback is going to be a ***** dressed in black.

Yeah! And just think how hard it will be for teams to prepare for that, too! They’ll have to spend extra weeks throwing to their own TEs on seam routes that are in their current playbook! Wait...

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Me too. But, if these folks know what they are talking about, he may not even get a discussion. What he did at Army (I don't care about the competition - heck, Temple lost to Villanova) is really impressive. Oh well. I will support our coach, but when I see incompetence and poor offense, it will be pointed out. I hope I don't see either.
Villanova is a city rivalry. That's kinda like the game CPJ almost lost to Georgia Southern in 2014. Don't put too much stock in that. The guy changed QBs and wound up 7-1 in a very competitive AAC.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Where did you get "we finished 15th in the country in points per a drive, while they finished 16th"
According to https://public.tableau.com/shared/PPKNK9XG7?:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no what you claim is not the case. They were 55th at 2.5 points per drive. We were rank 9 and 3.3 points per drive.

FEI for GT was 17 while Temple was 57.

As for total offense, they ran 13.5 drives a game compared to our 10.9. Having similar scoring offense to a team when you have 24% more drives than the other team isn't great, especially against a weaker schedule.

After reading up on the offensive coordinator Temple currently uses, I think he runs a scheme we will be able to compete with. I do think we execute better than they do, but I also think they brought in a the OC in 2017 and they might not have had the personnel to run what he does well. There was certainly an improvement in Temple's offense from 2017-2018 which is always a good thing, but we should strive for better than the 50-60 range in OFEI.

If the deal with Collins does end up going through, I would not expect Patenaude to come with him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Villanova is a city rivalry. That's kinda like the game CPJ almost lost to Georgia Southern a couple years back. Don't put too much stock in that. The guy changed QBs and wound up 7-1 in a very competitive AAC.

We got shallacked by MTSU.

Saban lost to Louisiana Lafayette.

Poop happens sometimes. You just hope the coach doesn't poop his entire career at your school.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
All of you that want the option. Why we have had it for 11 years and look what’s happened to us. We are owned by puke. Can’t touch Clemson and no 18 year old kids want to play in it. It’s time for a change

Looking forward to coach Collins if this works out. I’m not opposed to change, but our struggles against Duke and Clemson aren’t due to the triple option. CFB has changed over the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.