Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
Putting myself in his shoes, this may not be the dream job, but he should obviously be invested. I think he will work hard to not screw this up. I think he is still hungry, and that's a good thing.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Can someone give me more information about Collins? It looks like he may be the one. What are his strengths? His record at Temple was fair, not great. What kind of recruiter is he. Is he capable of taking us to the next level of success? Is he a better candidate than Elliott? I know that’s a lot of questions.
Id suggest watching this. Really is awesome. He’s a really good recruiter, likes to get the city involved and create new fans. Will hype the program in a MAJOR way imo.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Actually really happy to hear Stansbury met with Norvell and Littrell and he still considers Collins to be the top candidate (or potentially already head coach). I feel much more confident that we're making the correct hire because guys like Norvell and Littrell are very good. Littrell is projected to go to Kansas State, for what it's worth.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Can’t wait to see how we fill out the staff.
Don’t we owe woody one more year on his contractif he doesn’t leave? Might as well keep him as a position coach if you don’t want him as DC.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Rumor was that Geoff was actively seeking GT. Maybe Maryland AD texted him and he told them to get lost. We will never know. If he's picked, let's assume it's because TStan believes he's the best available.

That, plus there’s nothing wrong with GC wanting the GT job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Collins resume:

2010: FIU DC - DFEI 70
2011: MSU co-DC - DFEI 26
2012: MSU co-DC - DFEI 47
2013: MSU DC - DFEI 14
2014: MSU DC - DFEI 20
2015: UF DC - DFEI 22
2016: UF DC - DFEI 6
2017: Temple HC - DFEI 29, OFEI 97, Overall 57 (GT 51)
2018: Temple HC - DFEI 25, OFEI 57, Overall 35 (GT 71)

As you can see, every place he's been a main DC (outside of FIU), he's fielded extremely good defenses to elite defenses. On the offensive side, his teams made a marked improvement from year 1 to year 2. He's made defenses better everywhere he's been. His overall FEI was pretty good in 2018, much better than what CPJ and GT did.

Something I've said earlier as well as others: the key for Collins will be his OC. Bring in a good to very good OC, and GT will own the Coastal.

Recruiting, IMO, may not be as good as we all believe he should be. In 2017, Temple came in dead last in the AAC for recruiting (according to 247)...though you can say it was his first year. In 2018, his first full year, Temple finished #7 (out of 12) in the AAC. This year, with the most commits in the AAC at 24 (next closest is ECU with 19), Temple is at #5.

Maybe it'll improve since he's returning to his "roots" in GA and the Southeast. If he's really our next HC, we'll have the answer to that soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.