Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, take it as maybe a friend making another friend that's a GT fan feel better, but I have friends that coach at GA HS. All of them have said in various ways that NO school in the ACC and SEC want GT to be good or have an attractive system because it makes harder for them to recruit. GT can be a player, and give these other schools that have been poaching recruits since CPJ got here a serious run for their money. NONE of them were threatened by GT when it came to recruits on offense because GT was a non-starter for them, and it was easy to show front seven recruits photos of our DLs walking to practice with knee braces to negative recruit against us.

Those same sentiments have been repeated lately by various media members now that CPJ has stepped down and GT is looking for a new coach.

Like I said earlier, we all will see soon how true those statements are.

I worked at a high school and I totally agree. That offense was an absolute killer for recruiting. That’s not saying that the 5 Stars are just gonna start rolling in, but what I am saying is with the right coach and salesmanship GT can definitely be a player for smart athletic kids in the region. No doubt.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
There really isn’t a slam dunk option right now. A lot of intriguing candidates, but none of them really jump out at me as an obvious choice.

I wonder if there are any dark horse candidates that none of us realize are in the mix. Or maybe it’s just Ken. :confused:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the new hire, they will have very little impact on this years class. It will probably be several years until we can judge the results. Can the fans be that patient?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of the new hire, they will have very little impact on this years class. It will probably be several years until we can judge the results. Can the fans be that patient?
I can. The vision is more important to my assessment of a coach in the early stages than the results. I’d feel good about our future if our new coach had a plan undergoing execution even if we go 4-8 next year.

Though there’s something to be said for in-game coaching, time management, etc...that should be executed in year 1.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
somewhat of an update:

As I shared yesterday I can confirm Collins interviewed. I have no definitive info on this but I think today is the day for Whiz. If we don't hear anything today I think that ship has sailed. Stansbury will be back at GT today. Still hearing 12/12 is our goal to have coach in place.

slugboy

Staff member
All paul had to do was keep tenuta bj and company. Nope. In some irony. That karma he could never catch up with. Jon would have stayed. Paul first presser he called it feast or famine. It was a shot. For the next 11 years all we had was famine.

I liked jon. U can say they woulda never gotten along. But if u believe paul and he truly allows his assistants to coach then whats the issue. If. Of course. If You believe that.

Tenuta had DC at Notre Dame lined up. I thought he had one foot (maybe two) out the door.

I would have loved to had both. Holding opponents to 17-25 points would have done wonders for this team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Can we please not turn this into another academic thread

LOL. It’s as on topic as any of your “hate 3-O scheme” posts.

In honor of you I’m wearing Navy to every game in ‘19 and writing to TStan to ask for / promote more navy unis etc. :D

A week and a half or so more. This thread should be over 500 pages of meltdowns, rants, hand wringing, and indictments of our AD by then. SMH

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
My last post related to academics, which I was responding to other posts, but they are kind of a big thing at GT, but you can put me on ignore if you like, and honestly, I will post whatever I like as long as I am respectful of others.
The thing is I'm guessing some of this microdetail is aimed to 'educate' the sidewalk fan peons who, frankly, don't need the education on it. Yes, I know Stanford and Duke have easier liberal arts degrees without calculus. Yes, I know Georgia Tech has much more limited majors. Yes, I know Georgia Tech requires a real world work ethic to get through. But the recruits we're poaching from UCF and USF because our top targets are going to South Carolina and Tennessee don't have any different of an academic profile than those higher ranked we lose out in, I guarantee. CPJ was able to get 86% of his players the academic support they needed to get through Tech. 'We can do that'.

While I personally didn't go to Tech my brother did. I understand. It took him 5+ years to graduate with ME. This is a guy with a 130+ IQ. He had to transfer to Auburn for a quarter to get his GPA back up. So I'm not ignorant of the things you're talking about.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
somewhat of an update:

As I shared yesterday I can confirm Collins interviewed. I have no definitive info on this but I think today is the day for Whiz. If we don't hear anything today I think that ship has sailed. Stansbury will be back at GT today. Still hearing 12/12 is our goal to have coach in place.

Thanks big daddy!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Apr is a farce. Its self regulated. Tech as other programs to can tweak a degree requirements for progress to make it easier on SA. Thats part of the school helping out. For instance more flexible electives. Or class xyz during this pre requisite.

Bama was a top apr school.

Its a farce. U need to be creative on how to deal with the metric
Some of what you are saying is news to me. Didnt know Ma Tech hd wiggle room. I have always thought APR was tougher on tough schools with limited degrees and no place to hide. APR would never serve the original purpose, as the factories just push all their players toward 1 or 2 easy fields of study. Always laugh when I watch a game on ESPN when they honor the scholar athlete with a 3.01 gpa in housing economics, nutrition and health , recreation and on and on.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The thing is I'm guessing some of this microdetail is aimed to 'educate' the sidewalk fan peons who, frankly, don't need the education on it.

I don't think there is a desire in the posts to 'educate' sidewalk fans. The whole discussion was started by a post claiming that there is not a difference in curriculum between Stanford and GT. I think all of the posts were down a rabbit hole(at least for this thread) from that assertion, not something aimed at being snobbish towards people who didn't attend GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.