Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
"Team members with a 3.0 GPA can wear a special patch on their jerseys identifying their status."

I like this, but at GT, this might be a very small number of football players. I know it would have been when I was in school. Maybe at GT, since a 2.5 means 3.3, we can drop that value somewhat!! :)
I graduated with a 2.94 and was in the top 25% of my class. Torally agree

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What's the chances Roof would've got the job had he made it another year here? Anybody pondered this?

Given the insanity of all the Roof talk that was going on when he was still here, I'm just it's not even on the plate to discuss right now.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Roof had worked out on D, CPJ probably wouldn't have retired.

I still like Roof and wish he'd done better.

All paul had to do was keep tenuta bj and company. Nope. In some irony. That karma he could never catch up with. Jon would have stayed. Paul first presser he called it feast or famine. It was a shot. For the next 11 years all we had was famine.

I liked jon. U can say they woulda never gotten along. But if u believe paul and he truly allows his assistants to coach then whats the issue. If. Of course. If You believe that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've liked Roof since a kid watching him make what looked like a 100 tackles against the Vols one night!

He had a game against Uga at Grant Field that was also unbelievable....to this day, one of the most impactful games ever by a single individual, especially a defensive guy. Aundrey Bruce had a similar day and leveraged that one day into the #1 draft pick. Ted Roof was a baller and a difference maker as a player.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I've liked Roof since a kid watching him make what looked like a 100 tackles against the Vols one night!
The 1985 GT-Tennessee game in Knoxville that ended in a 6-6 tie was one of the greatest defensive battles i ever watched. Ted Roof was unstoppable in that game. Georgia Tech in 1985 finished 9-2-1 and #20 in the rankings while Tennessee won the SEC with a record of 9-1-2 and finished with a #4 ranking.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if he has yet or not, but I believe the quotes from him are that his mother wanted him to get a great degree so that IF football didn't work out, he was still in good shape. You question begs the question: Did his football career work out for him?

Without a doubt. And I thought I remembered him saying he still wanted to get his degree. That’s why I asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
They can offer the smart kids more than we can, more majors, more prestige. Hell, even their engineering school is higher rated than ours.

Hmmm. If it was so clear cut that they offer so much more than us I wonder why they went 25-54 from 02-08?

Honestly the past decade is about the most successful they have ever been. Did they recently add more majors or become more prestigious?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I’m trying to read the tea leaves like everybody else. What do y’all make of the fact it appears as if all the assistant coaches are still going full throttle on the recruiting trail and no commits have pulled back. On top of that, we added a commit. I think it leads to 2 possible candidates(not going to say who or why I think right now to get unbiased opinions). How do y’all read the assistant coach and commits. (Lead to candidate X or doesn’t mean anything in terms of the next HC.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
The Stanford thing has everything to do with them recruiting smart kids like we have to. Some of us believe the curriculum angle is severely overblown and believe there is historical evidence to support this. Others disagree.

Agree with you. I don’t deny that Stanford offers more degree programs than Georgia Tech, but it is far more difficult to get into. The unknown for me is if they make more exceptions for athletes than we do.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
The 1985 GT-Tennessee game in Knoxville that ended in a 6-6 tie was one of the greatest defensive battles i ever watched. Ted Roof was unstoppable in that game. Georgia Tech in 1985 finished 9-2-1 and #20 in the rankings while Tennessee won the SEC with a record of 9-1-2 and finished with a #4 ranking.

I was at that game. The club lacrosse team travelled to Knoxville to play the Vols and we all went to the game that evening.

Roof was on fire and the tie was heartbreaking - I thought we had it won.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you. I don’t deny that Stanford offers more degree programs than Georgia Tech, but it is far more difficult to get into. The unknown for me is if they make more exceptions for athletes than we do.

More difficult to get into. Lol. Admissions dont apply for kids offered a ship. Both tech and stanford 95 percent of the 85 kids on ship, at least, dont get in on their own without football.

By definition the whole program is an exception.

When we talk exception at tech regarding football we are referring to admitting kids with bare minimum ncaa standards. Which is below the tech SA football standard. Which is still far below the normal student standard. Stanford is similar in structure.

If u think the bulk of our kids playing football fit into the mean or avg of the normal tech student academically well sir, sorry to break it to ya ;)

Animal02

Banned

My understanding is once you are in at Stanford......it is easier to stay. With the APR in place, it is not just a matter of getting someone accepted.......it is keeping them progressing toward a degree. So why bother recruiting kids that won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.