Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The next year or two will be rough most likely and the change in offense will be the prime reason
I would guess based on previous discussions about this that the big change, other than QB, will be in the offensive line requirements: pass blocking interior line vs. run blocking, size, longer arms, etc. But I think the new guy will have some players to work with and -- again with the QB -- could have a relatively pleasant first year W-L, including a bowl trip. now, it might be Detroit again, but a bowl game. To me it is reasonable to expect six-eight wins unless the cupboard is completely bare, and I don't think Johnson did that.

And I still expect to see Johnson coaching again with maybe a year off.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Man, we are so on the same page. I don't think our desires will be heard, but I agree 100% about Monken. I will not be "against" Collins, but I do think Monken deserves it more.

Remember, GTSwarm, this is my opinion - it is not life and death - I am ok with others having a different opinion than Vamos and me.

Oh, quit Monken around...
But seriously, he's like a more innovative and less grumpy CPJ. I could go for that, too.
Several good candidates out there IMO. Monken's one of them.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be willing to entertain Monken if he would open up the offense and pass more than 4-5 times a game. The limits the under center option places on us are obvious to me. We need to shoot for something better rather than maintaining status quo.
Monken generally throws more than CPJ, though not a ton more. Monken does utilize more diverse formations. I linked an article in another thread where Monken talks about utilizing the shotgun formation for 30% of plays while he was at Southern.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Man i really want GC to be the coach. He would give Kirby smart fits. He would have us in contention with legit 4 and 5 star talent.

Football Program Budget:
Georgia............$38.88M
Clemson...........$34.67M
Virginia Tech...$31.15M
Miami..............$28.47M

Georgia Tech...$17.38M

We've got big structural problems to solve, not just getting a different head coach, before we can talk about contending for 4 and 5 star talent consistently.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think calling what geoff did unethical is a stretch. He called on our recruits. That happens all the time. The one piece u may be wondering is peek. But that was not collins pulling as much as receiving. Peek was leaving regardless cuz cpj. So alot of this was butthurt by tech more than true impact. Chris Jackson was being tugged by his handler to go to bama more than collins....

As far as record nope not as good as rhules for sure.
No, not Peek. The Peek situation was fine with me. The C.Jackson situation is what made the headlines (and that he may have called some of our other recruits while he was still here). In the C.Jackson situation, he went to Chris during a dead period, and got away with it, and got him to go to Bama over GT (which was bad for GT and ended up being even worse for Chris).

I don't want to overstate my own feelings or the situation. I don't know all of the facts. I do remember there being major shade on Geoff Collins when all this went down and everyone saying that Collins had burned all of his bridges at GT. That's not something an inherently ethical person does. That's shady business. I can't imagine any of the ethical men I've ever known to conduct themselves in that way and alienate an entire set of people for his own gain. I know a lot of men who would do things like that, and I don't want them as leaders of any organization I'm a part of.

If Collins is the guy, I'll be disappointed and suspicious. I won't be close minded and think I know everything. I would be open to him proving me wrong.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Posted here without comment:

It's hard to keep up with the pace of this thread. I went to lunch and a short meeting. When I returned I had missed 15 pages.

Recruiting at Troy and UCF and Houston is just not the same as recruiting at GT. And those recruits will never have to face Clemson or uga. Collins understands what recruiting in the ACC and SEC is all about and will not be cowed by the challenge. I will be happy if he is the guy.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I listened to the interview, but I really did not hear anything from a "scheme" standpoint, offensively, that would tell me he can "think outside of the box", but again, I am not against him. I hope TStan requires some specifics on what Collins, or anyone else, will do tactically on the O side of the ball to help with talent disparity.
Sorry, when I think on innovator I think things along the line of recruiting, facilities, getting fans involved ect. I think we just saw it differently.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Nothing wrong with using the TO but not at the exclusion of other offensive plays. Please give us some defense. In fact if we would have had a good defense we would have been a really good top 20 team. PJ was a great tactician with what he had but in many ways his system limited him in recruiting. He did more with what he had and I admire what he did at GT.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about a two-year splash, but there's a lot to like about Collins. First off, the fact that his defenses have been strong everywhere he's been, and with the roster transition from the option, you'll need a strong defense for a couple of years until you can bring some different offensive personnel in to match what you're doing.

That makes a lot of sense. That's why it stands out on this board.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be willing to entertain Monken if he would open up the offense and pass more than 4-5 times a game. The limits the under center option places on us are obvious to me. We need to shoot for something better rather than maintaining status quo.

Can’t have another service academy coach. May be a fine coach but we can’t go that route again.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
You could always bypass all the miserable speculation and head to AJC.com and hit refresh every minute.

LOL. Tempting, but I'm not sure how up-to-date that would be. Ken's live blog from the UGA game is still front and center on the GT page.

Status
Not open for further replies.