Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Man i really want GC to be the coach. He would give Kirby smart fits. He would have us in contention with legit 4 and 5 star talent.

Other than saban, urban, and dabo, no one is going to get 5*'s at GT anytime soon.

Gold1, I was going to warn you the "we can't get 5*s at GT" would start coming, but I was too slow.

I'm a few pages behind in my reading, but I'm sure you've gotten a few about money, academics, etc., already.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer

Jones said that he thought Collins would bring energy to the team and be a face for the Jackets.

“I think he’d recruit his (expletive) off,” Jones said.

“Everybody in the class loved coach Collins,” Jones said. “We were all really sad when he left to go to Alabama.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gold1, I was going to warn you the "we can't get 5*s at GT" would start coming, but I was too slow.

I'm a few pages behind in my reading, but I'm sure you've gotten a few about money, academics, etc., already.
Calvin Johnson should have been a five star. Someone in his mold might be our first. A 5 star from Georgia, with a burning desire for a top shelf degree and desire to stay close to home. I wonder how many of those are out there... Hmmm...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our best shot at a 5* would be at QB in an offense that had a potential to get them to the NFL. The right QB opens access to top WR's and TE as well. They want to touch the ball every now and then. I never liked the fact that our WR's were not rewarded more with pass attempts for blocking their butts off.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No, not Peek. The Peek situation was fine with me. The C.Jackson situation is what made the headlines (and that he may have called some of our other recruits while he was still here). In the C.Jackson situation, he went to Chris during a dead period, and got away with it, and got him to go to Bama over GT (which was bad for GT and ended up being even worse for Chris).

I don't want to overstate my own feelings or the situation. I don't know all of the facts. I do remember there being major shade on Geoff Collins when all this went down and everyone saying that Collins had burned all of his bridges at GT. That's not something an inherently ethical person does. That's shady business. I can't imagine any of the ethical men I've ever known to conduct themselves in that way and alienate an entire set of people for his own gain. I know a lot of men who would do things like that, and I don't want them as leaders of any organization I'm a part of.

If Collins is the guy, I'll be disappointed and suspicious. I won't be close minded and think I know everything. I would be open to him proving me wrong.

to be fair, you are seeing the shade and burn bridges from the tech side.

The fact remains, is Chris's legal guardian, was shopping and forcing him to bama WAY more than collins was. People at tech felt collins owed tech to not talk to chris. But if a kids "dad" comes to you and says, hey i want chris to go to bama and he is rethinking tech what do you do? Collins has his job to do too. Everyone at tech said 'screw' him, he was only here a year, goes to bama and is trying to pluck chris away. But u know what...go talk to cpj about chris, and how he was being handled etc....

I don't know the dead period story...But i do know chris ended up at tech and phased out, non-committal, much like his recruiting period....just saying...trend...

you also need to see it from the other side here. GT has a lot of thin skin folks when it comes to recruiting flips. Just because we are always being plucked from so to speak.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
No one is arguing that fit should not be considered. The question is how much deference fit should be given over prior, demonstrated success. While prior performance is not indicative of future performance, it often strongly correlates.

Go look at my new post on coache's winning percentages. I don't think it correlates as much as you think.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Our best shot at a 5* would be at QB in an offense that had a potential to get them to the NFL. The right QB opens access to top WR's and TE as well. They want to touch the ball every now and then. I never liked the fact that our WR's were not rewarded more with pass attempts for blocking their butts off.
I wasn't going to bring it up, but Stanford signed a 5 star QB from GAC, and they've signed 5 star OL too. Stanford doesn't recruit like UGAg or Clemson, but they sign enough talent to be where I think we could be. If there's going to be an infusion of $$$$ as some have runored, there are opportunities if we recruit nationally combined with a good HC hire .

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No he was definitely a 5 star when he signed with Tech according to scout. Believe they had him the #3 WR in the nation that year.
Maybe, I heard one of the sites went back and retroactively changed his score. I have no way of confirming or refuting this claim. I have found many articles mentioning "5 star recruits in the NFL" and Calvin was not listed. Absense of evidence isn't proof though, but I remember when I was a student people saying "I can't believe he's only a 4 star".

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok. Whiz is done. This could take up to January 1. There is no telling who might get a call now. Side note. There will be no option coach on the sidelines next year. BANK ON IT. This thread will go over 350 pages.
GOD help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.