Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Man i really want GC to be the coach. He would give Kirby smart fits. He would have us in contention with legit 4 and 5 star talent.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
People that don't take fit into consideration end up with new spots to fill pretty quickly. A person that is a bad fit can drive off other high quality employees, and create a ton of tension and turmoil that are very counterproductive to a team. Especially when a job requires you to influence a bunch of people that you don't control.....like the coach of a college football team. I recently worked in a small corporate team with one exec and 6 directs, in a role where you're expected to stay 3-4 years and then move on to something new. Every time we filled a spot as people moved on, the fit was the biggest thing. There were qualified people that didn't fit our "servant leader" model and would've failed miserably.

Finding the right fit means the person that can do the best with our donors, our school, our community and our team.

Exactly.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What are GT’s struggles?

Defense: check for Collins
Innovation/plan: check for Collins
Recruiting: check for Collins

These imo have big 3 of the biggest issues (besides money/facilities) and Collins checks them all off. Out of the other candidates, I can’t say they do that.

I am not against Collins, TW, but on the item in bold above, remind me why we are giving him the "checkmark" for that?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
For the record, you accused me of comparing Geoff Collins to Nick Saban which I didn't. I used the fact that Nick Saban had a .500 record his first year two years after a 10 win season by his predecessor to illustrate that just because a coach didn't match the win total of the previous coach in his first year, doesn't mean he's a worse coach. You also asked if I was "a friend of his". I don't know if that's 'hyperbole' in literary terms, but it certainly is being obnoxious, as well as calling a pretty forthright statement of FACT 'pure speculation'.

Your measure of success seems to be based purely on win totals. Athletic Directors don't pick candidates purely on that. 10 wins in the Sun Belt for Brown and Satterfield (didn't discuss him, because what's they point- he's going to Louisville) is not necessarily better success than going 7-1 in an AAC with multiple ranked teams. And if you're going to use the previous success of a program as a measuring stick of expectations, App St and Boise have had it going a lot longer than Temple.
IIRC, you stated that Nick Saban went 6-6 to prove the point that Collins could have had a down year and still been really good. That's at least comparing the two situations, if not comparing the two coaches.

The statement you claim as "FACT" is when you stated that (paraphrasing b/c too lazy to go back) "just because he lost to Heupel doesn't necessarily mean he would have been a bad hire." That's not a statement of fact.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins may suck. No one knows. So much factors in. My simple opinion is of all the names we have heard so far he would be my pick.

Gus non withstanding i like gus. He could do well here.

But they both need more school support

Which hire would marshal more school support?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, you stated that Nick Saban went 6-6 to prove the point that Collins could have had a down year and still been really good. That's at least comparing the two situations, if not comparing the two coaches.

The statement you claim as "FACT" is when you stated that (paraphrasing b/c too lazy to go back) "just because he lost to Heupel doesn't necessarily mean he would have been a bad hire." That's not a statement of fact.
Which did not warrant the 'you must be his friend' garbage.

It's not "pure speculation" either, unless you are so inept at language that you don't understand the qualification 'doesn't necessarily mean'.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I am not against Collins, TW, but on the item in bold above, remind me why we are giving him the "checkmark" for that?
Have you not heard him in his interviews? He is all about figuring out ways to better the program (where he’s at) come up with ways to recruit better, get the city involved ect.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not "pure speculation" either, unless you are so inept at language that you don't understand the qualification 'doesn't necessarily mean'.
We can't measure the type of hire that Collins would have been at UCF because he wasn't the head coach at UCF, so you're speculating. He could have been a bad hire, but we'll never know.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Man i really want GC to be the coach. He would give Kirby smart fits. He would have us in contention with legit 4 and 5 star talent.

Contention is one thing, but if he can actually close on some of those deals, I would be amazed. 4 stars? Yes, this is possible in limited numbers 5 stars? I do not believe this is possible, but I want to be wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts on Collins:

Pretty dang good DC. Both of his defenses at Temple had DFEI's in the 20's. He's known for his defensive acumen. If Collins can get GT a defense in the 20's that's a darn miracle compared to what we've had the last decade. It's the defensive equivalent of CPJ bustin OFEIs int he top 20's most of the last decade.

Watching his interviews and videos, he has a personality that will play well inside recruit's living rooms and players will want to play for him (seriously, he hired a DJ just for practice!). Football should be fun, but you also need to have control of your house. He does that.

He knows GT, he knows Georgia, he knows the South. He won't have to start from scratch and will jump off the hiring train at full sprint. No two year acclimation process with GC. That's means a lot.

He understands the PR and media component of being an HC. IMO, knowing that helps with recruits. CPJ was bad at it, and that's being nice.

If Collins can find a good to very good OC, GT should win the Coastal or be one of the favorites every year. GT being the dominant team in the Coastal is realistic given where the other schools in the division are. The OC for Collins will be key here.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
No, you did the speculating when you said the fact that he got passed over for the UCF coach meant he wouldn't be a good candidate. I unspeculated it.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I was high on Elliot, but after thought, I just don’t get it over Collins.
I was the same. To me, Elliott is who Collins was 4 years ago. A high end coordinator who is a known high-profile recruiter with a lot of upside as a HC. The difference is that now (4 years later) we know that Collins also can run a successful program and he can translate his adminstrative experiences well. Elliott may end up being better in the end, but it would take a few years for him to learn on the job to find out. I don't know if his potential upside is high enough to hire him over a known commodity in Collins.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm not for Collins. He has a worse record than the coach before him, and the record isn't impressive anyway. But, more than that, he had a bad (ie unethical) rep in the way he left GT. If we get anyone who even smells unethical, I'm done as a fan - GT is not foundational to life. Ethics are. No contest.

Jeff Monken, purely as a candidate, with his resume, blows these other names out of the water. It's not even close. His floor is no worse than the status quo (which is pretty darn great), and his ceiling is even higher (which is amazing to think about).

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
People that don't take fit into consideration end up with new spots to fill pretty quickly. A person that is a bad fit can drive off other high quality employees, and create a ton of tension and turmoil that are very counterproductive to a team. Especially when a job requires you to influence a bunch of people that you don't control.....like the coach of a college football team. I recently worked in a small corporate team with one exec and 6 directs, in a role where you're expected to stay 3-4 years and then move on to something new. Every time we filled a spot as people moved on, the fit was the biggest thing. There were qualified people that didn't fit our "servant leader" model and would've failed miserably.

Finding the right fit means the person that can do the best with our donors, our school, our community and our team.
No one is arguing that fit should not be considered. The question is how much deference fit should be given over prior, demonstrated success. While prior performance is not indicative of future performance, it often strongly correlates.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Have you not heard him in his interviews? He is all about figuring out ways to better the program (where he’s at) come up with ways to recruit better, get the city involved ect.

I listened to the interview, but I really did not hear anything from a "scheme" standpoint, offensively, that would tell me he can "think outside of the box", but again, I am not against him. I hope TStan requires some specifics on what Collins, or anyone else, will do tactically on the O side of the ball to help with talent disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.