Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He recruited well one year. Read the thread about recruiting.

In retrospective rankings, 3 of Chan Gailey's classes were ranked pretty high.

Also, as I pointed out in that recruiting thread, you have to take the early recruiting rankings with a grain of salt. Back then recruiting services weren't staffed like they were today. Gailey had a bunch of 2 stars because services probably never got around to ranking them and left them at the default 2 stars. You look at it today, and I would argue with you that recruiting rankings have become inflated. Ever wonder why recruits get the "GT bump"? They were 2 stars or NR, then become miraculously ranked 3 stars after committing to us? BTW, if you have time, go back and look at how those 2 stars of Gailey's turned out. Quite a few of them turned into NFL or All ACC players, that's why those classes were ranked so high in retrospective rankings.

Deleted member 2897

There is a lot of good info at rivals. And quite frankly in my opinion, none of it is very good.

slugboy

Staff member
In retrospective rankings, 3 of Chan Gailey's classes were ranked pretty high.

Also, as I pointed out in that recruiting thread, you have to take the early recruiting rankings with a grain of salt. Back then recruiting services weren't staffed like they were today. Gailey had a bunch of 2 stars because services probably never got around to ranking them and left them at the default 2 stars.

I’d say that the early and middle recruiting classes were legitimately weaker. His first class, he spent forever at the Dolphins and he just wasn’t here recruiting. Then, while he hired good recruiters on staff, he still didn’t seem to think it was his job too. He also ignored academic progress, because he thought it was someone else’s job, and the NCAA imposed recruiting limitations. All of those things limited our recruiting classes, and they were because of decisions he made.
He also didn’t balance his classes well. Part of that was the restrictions, but you watched games on offense and wondered who was going to block; I remember thinking that we got really thin on OL (but better towards the end of his run).
In his last few seasons, after all of that, he finally got it and started recruiting and promoting the school like he should have all along.
Fans were already fed up, which is a shame because if he had started more like he finished, he could have been a good coach.
There were still problems—he never got a good OC or realized that you might want to score more than 30 points sometimes (even though they occasionally did). Others can list more.
It’s weird—I think Gailey is simultaneously proof we can recruit much better than we do, and also that overall he didn’t recruit better than CPJ, all wrapped up in one package.
I think the next coach could get us up in the better classes in the conference. Even Wiz should be able to get the right people to support him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It’s a spread scheme with some 3O from the gun. More run than pass.
Rhetorical, sir....I wonder if this OC's blocking schemes allow the linemen to stay upright with their blocking. I'm all for running the ball...all the time if allowed...but all traces of Sewak need to be purged from our great Institute.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t sign up for Rivals. It’s a board full of complainers just like here but you pay to read that drivel.

Plus I found that there is just as much speculation over there that there is here. KQ isn’t an “insider” he is a media member just like anyone else. He isn’t allowed at practice just like Ken Segura isn’t allowed at practice so you can get practice reports anywhere. You pay for his opinion and thoughts on things. He thought Jalen Camp was going to have a break out year. I’m still waiting for Camp to make a single play.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t sign up for Rivals. It’s a board full of complainers just like here but you pay to read that drivel.

Plus I found that there is just as much speculation over there that there is here. KQ isn’t an “insider” he is a media member just like anyone else. He isn’t allowed at practice just like Ken Segura isn’t allowed at practice so you can get practice reports anywhere. You pay for his opinion and thoughts on things. He thought Jalen Camp was going to have a break out year. I’m still waiting for Camp to make a single play.
lol. Thanks

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Rhetorical, sir....I wonder if this OC's blocking schemes allow the linemen to stay upright with their blocking. I'm all for running the ball...all the time if allowed...but all traces of Sewak need to be purged from our great Institute.
They use a similar scheme that Clemson uses for OL blocking from what I have seen.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Didn't Collins leave Miss St post-regular season, leaving a position coach to try and figure out a defense (unsuccessfully) against the 3-O? That's usually not a good situation for a team to be facing against our offense, and it showed in the bowl game with us running basically the same play over and over with no clue on their end.
I remember this as well...that Miss State didn't have their DC for the OB against GT...and the reason for them losing.

Deleted member 2897

Fake News.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have heard that Todd did or is meeting with Collins while in nyc. I posted on rivals that the timeline is pretty much if no whiz by Thursday we’ve moved on and we still want a coach in place by 12/12

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
This is just historically not true. Buddy Geis was a Cowboys guy. Tommie Robinson and Joe D'Alessandris were from NFL Europe connections. Guys like Brick Haley and Curtis Modkins were Texas college coaches who knew Gailey from his stint as Cowboys coach. His college connections were thin, thin, thin, bringing in disasters like Patrick Nix from his limited experience at Samford. Point is he put together a terrible staff because he had so few college connections. He was able to hire a good mercenary in Tenuta. He couldn't keep Glenn Spencer.
As he went on, he wised up and hired better recruiters like Giff Smith, Brian Jean-Mary and Charles Kelly. Just as I said.

If Whisenhunt is hired, I hope he proves me wrong, but I BETCHA he'll bring a bunch of people he's really, really, really familiar with as security blankets. And those will be old guys, 'Tech men', and NFL connections, no young, energetic coaches. I hope I'm wrong. Better yet, I hope we get Collins.

Need to check those resumes again. All those guys were working the college game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.