Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
How do you know he would not recruit well? Most on here thought CCG recruited much better than CPJ. The only coaching staff that actually recruited in the top 25 range was GOL. An experienced coach with a very long resume who understood Tech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chan Gailey did not recruit well. Stop with the mythology. He DID NOT RECRUIT WELL. Go look up the class rankings. The one good class he had was largely credited to the social media innovations of . . . Geoff Collins. Chan did the EXACT same thing Whisenhunt will do, I guarantee you. He will hire a bunch of his pro contacts to be assistants (because he wants people he knows in order to be able to control the situation) thinking being able to 'player develop' and out X and O everybody matters more than dumb ole recruiting. If, like Chan, he is still around at say season 5 or so, it may finally dawn on him to hire an actual college guy (like a Brian Jean-Mary) who is an apt recruiter. Chan was pretty good at player development, making NFL players out of guys like Phillip Wheeler and Andrew Gardner.

MarineBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Whisenhunt?

upload_2018-12-4_22-55-51.jpeg

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Chan Gailey did not recruit well. Stop with the mythology. He DID NOT RECRUIT WELL. Go look up the class rankings. The one good class he had was largely credited to the social media innovations of . . . Geoff Collins. Chan did the EXACT same thing Whisenhunt will do, I guarantee you. He will hire a bunch of his pro contacts to be assistants (because he wants people he knows in order to be able to control the situation) thinking being able to 'player develop' and out X and O everybody matters more than dumb ole recruiting. If, like Chan, he is still around at say season 5 or so, it may finally dawn on him to hire an actual college guy (like a Brian Jean-Mary) who is an apt recruiter. Chan was pretty good at player development, making NFL players out of guys like Phillip Wheeler and Andrew Gardner.

Chan let a future pro level coach, O’Brien,go from his staff because of offense. And his other hires all came from the college coaching ranks. Chan’s real sin was it was just a job for him, he never really bought into Tech. Do you really think KW would represent a Tech that way ?

If you want to see what a staff should look like check out GOLs staff. I think KW would put together an excellent t staff. I like Collins too.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Chan let a future pro level coach, O’Brien,go from his staff because of offense. And his other hires all came from the college coaching ranks. Chan’s real sin was it was just a job for him, he never really bought into Tech. Do you really think KW would represent a Tech that way ?

If you want to see what a staff should look like check out GOLs staff. I think KW would put together an excellent t staff. I like Collins too.

We will never know because he will turn down TStan(Staying with the Chargers)if he was even offered the job at all:rolleyes:

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

This is just historically not true. Buddy Geis was a Cowboys guy. Tommie Robinson and Joe D'Alessandris were from NFL Europe connections. Guys like Brick Haley and Curtis Modkins were Texas college coaches who knew Gailey from his stint as Cowboys coach. His college connections were thin, thin, thin, bringing in disasters like Patrick Nix from his limited experience at Samford. Point is he put together a terrible staff because he had so few college connections. He was able to hire a good mercenary in Tenuta. He couldn't keep Glenn Spencer.
As he went on, he wised up and hired better recruiters like Giff Smith, Brian Jean-Mary and Charles Kelly. Just as I said.

If Whisenhunt is hired, I hope he proves me wrong, but I BETCHA he'll bring a bunch of people he's really, really, really familiar with as security blankets. And those will be old guys, 'Tech men', and NFL connections, no young, energetic coaches. I hope I'm wrong. Better yet, I hope we get Collins.

Last edited:
If this doesn’t fit what T Stan said he wants in the new head Coach then idk what does. Imo this is the man for the job.

Impressive interview. Since he is defense-minded, and since he seems to share some of the same principles on defense that Nate Woody has, I wonder if he will keep Woody as DC. I for one sure hope he does. Then he just needs to find a good offensive mind (and innovator) for OC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If this doesn’t fit what T Stan said he wants in the new head Coach then idk what does. Imo this is the man for the job.

Strikes me as a guy who will interview well and recruit well. I’d bo okay taking a step or two back on O in order to take a few steps up on D. Also like focus on running the ball and ball security.

No reason to hate on this coach.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Impressive interview. Since he is defense-minded, and since he seems to share some of the same principles on defense that Nate Woody has, I wonder if he will keep Woody as DC. I for one sure hope he does. Then he just needs to find a good offensive mind (and innovator) for OC.
Might not be popular but I would want Key as our OC.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yes he actually did

Status
Not open for further replies.