Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I just have to disagree with you in a friendly way that rebuilding and getting your own players is BS;)
I agree. I think GT can still compete with whoever we bring in. I mean lets be honest we don't play in the SEC West.... If we run some version of the spread, lots of slants and quick passes we can utilize our A backs and move the ball. I have always thought our biggest issue during the CPJ error was the defense. The offense caught $hit because it wasn't "explosive" or "flashy" but no matter who our coordinator was we couldn't stop a nose bleed on defense.

New HC needs to be defense minded, recruit the biggest and fastest guys we can find from the lines and someone who can stay on receivers like stink on $hit.

I am very optimistic about the future of GT football, and IDKW...maybe I am just crazy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just read that Whisenhunt is being pushed by TSTAN and not all big $$$ donors. That's contrary to what's being reported lately that TStan is getting his walking orders by influential donors.

Either way, unless we get a homerun hire, TStans standing among GT fans is about to take a big hit.

Also, there's reports that Satterfield wanted to talk to GT hence the delay with Louisville. Unfortunately it sounds like Satterfield wasn't even on our Tier 1 list. Never even got a courtesy call. To make it worse, Satterfield ended up going to Louisville for less than $2million/year. Think about that. Best non P5 candidate on the market, willing to coach for a discount, and wasn't even considered at GT.

If Ryan Day doesn't get the job, lots of good candidates will be lining up waiting on Ohio State...and dominoes will start falling at other schools. GT being the prettiest girl could turn to GT being the drunkest girl at the bar.

Ugh...

That's not what I heard. I heard GT DID consider Satterfield, but because he was already in talks with UL, they backed off. I'm not sure Tech is the most desirable for all coaches ... it is a challenging job based on the constraints. Not all coaches want that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just read that Whisenhunt is being pushed by TSTAN and not all big $$$ donors. That's contrary to what's being reported lately that TStan is getting his walking orders by influential donors.

Either way, unless we get a homerun hire, TStans standing among GT fans is about to take a big hit.

Also, there's reports that Satterfield wanted to talk to GT hence the delay with Louisville. Unfortunately it sounds like Satterfield wasn't even on our Tier 1 list. Never even got a courtesy call. To make it worse, Satterfield ended up going to Louisville for less than $2million/year. Think about that. Best non P5 candidate on the market, willing to coach for a discount, and wasn't even considered at GT.

If Ryan Day doesn't get the job, lots of good candidates will be lining up waiting on Ohio State...and dominoes will start falling at other schools. GT being the prettiest girl could turn to GT being the drunkest girl at the bar.

Ugh...

Not all but some are pushing ken.....stansbury is the smartest guy in the room. Just remember that

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a question a few on here are talking about Geoff Collins would be good. Coached in college and was at Tech in 2009 as a recruiting coordinator . But looking back I only see the players he recruited and signed was J.C. Lanier and Chris Crenshaw, looks like most that sign were recruited by Todd Spencer and Brain Bohannon . Some do not say but most of them did not say who recruited them. I'm I missing something ?

Anyone but CKW please

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a question a few on here are talking about Geoff Collins would be good. Coached in college and was at Tech in 2009 as a recruiting coordinator . But looking back I only see the players he recruited and signed was J.C. Lanier and Chris Crenshaw, looks like most that sign were recruited by Todd Spencer and Brain Bohannon . Some do not say but most of them did not say who recruited them. I'm I missing something ?

Anyone but CKW please
Collins was Director of Player Personnel in 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Collins_(American_football)

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Just noticed that the Temple DC is Andrew Thacker. Played at Gainesville for Bruce Miller, who is his step-dad. Played in college at Furman. I hope he'd come with Collins. I'm sure he has a lot of connections within the state.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's not what I heard. I heard GT DID consider Satterfield, but because he was already in talks with UL, they backed off. I'm not sure Tech is the most desirable for all coaches ... it is a challenging job based on the constraints. Not all coaches want that.

I considered several cars before deciding on the one I bought. I didn't test drive all the cars I considered.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I considered several cars before deciding on the one I bought. I didn't test drive all the cars I considered.

This is deep, T. Similarly, I considered several ice creams before I decided on which to buy. I didn't eat all the ice creams I considered.

On topic, I was never a fan of Schiano. I always thought he seemed kinda slimy. That said, and as a clear display of my own personal frustration causing me to toss aside all sensibilities, now that Schiano has been passed over at OhioSt should we have a conversation with him?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is deep, T. Similarly, I considered several ice creams before I decided on which to buy. I didn't eat all the ice creams I considered.

On topic, I was never a fan of Schiano. I always thought he seemed kinda slimy. That said, and as a clear display of my own personal frustration causing me to toss aside all sensibilities, now that Schiano has been passed over at OhioSt should we have a conversation with him?

As a fellow ice cream enthusiast, I am deeply troubled by the first part of your post. All ice cream lovers know you HAVE to taste all the ice creams being considered.

Schiano. Hard pass.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Anyone but CKW please
I'm not sold either. We had one good class come in when he was here that by all accounts basically recruited themselves. Could he have been influential? Sure but it could just as easily, if not, more easily have been an anomaly. 3 coaches out of Temple in a row got a job because going .600 at Temple qualifies you as a good candidate and none have done much of anything. With that said, I'm on board solely for the fact he's not Whisenhunt.

Maybe this is $tan$bury's plan... threaten us with a Whisenhunt hire so we'll be thankful to god for anyone besides him?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Day should win from Day 1. He inherits a team and a philosophy that already works. I think if you are dramatically changing the playing philosophy ... a transition might be necessary. But, this is why a lot of programs are mired in mediocrity. They have no philosophy and lose momentum by changing every few years. Consistency is a wonderful accelerator.
I believe Michigan will take over the Big 10+2 with Urban Meyer retiring(at least for a year until he goes to USC)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sold either. We had one good class come in when he was here that by all accounts basically recruited themselves. Could he have been influential? Sure but it could just as easily, if not, more easily have been an anomaly. 3 coaches out of Temple in a row got a job because going .600 at Temple qualifies you as a good candidate and none have done much of anything. With that said, I'm on board solely for the fact he's not Whisenhunt.

Maybe this is $tan$bury's plan... threaten us with a Whisenhunt hire so we'll be thankful to god for anyone besides him?
Please check the one before this I made a mistake sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.