Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
Key part of our best recruiting class in the last 30 years
I feel like former players from that era have shot this theory down. That '07 class hit it off during the recruiting process & basically recruited each other. I think Giff Smith & Geoff Collins probably get a little too much credit

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I feel like former players from that era have shot this theory down. That '07 class hit it off during the recruiting process & basically recruited each other. I think Giff Smith & Geoff Collins probably get a little too much credit
Eh I think it is true that Giff and GC were the two main cogs. Just for me personally hiring GC actually gives me hope that we are trying to improve

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty sad to read posters claiming they are abandoning GT football because Paul Johnson is leaving, or claiming that GT cannot attract top flight talent, or angrily denouncing certain potential head coaches, with vitriol.

I believe that with the right coach, there is no reason why GT can't have a terrific football program which can compete year in and year out to play in the ACC Championship Game.

And I'm still in favor of Whisenhunt for all the reasons I stated earlier. But I will support my Jackets and hope for all the best no matter who they hire.

I don't disagree with your sentiment... But I could apply the logic at most schools.

There is no reason why Nebraska has been irrelevant for 18 years, but they have been.. there is no reason for Illinois to be horrendous as a program, but they are.

Miami.... Arkansas... A&M... Same thing.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with your sentiment... But I could apply the logic at most schools.

There is no reason why Nebraska has been irrelevant for 18 years, but they have been.. there is no reason for Illinois to be horrendous as a program, but they are.

Miami.... Arkansas... A&M... Same thing.
Jimbo did a damn good job his first season at A&M and i think he will turn them around:cigar:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying that you'd only support one of those choices?
I will support any coach. There are some I do not want. I’ve already said in other places, as soon as we pick a coach I’m going to research everything I can and try to get as hyped as I can. Until someone is chosen, I feel it okay to voice my concerns. For the record, I am not strictly against Ken, I am just hesitant. I’d have interviewed him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Why? What is it about throwing the football that makes it so much more interesting? Do you not remember how horrible Gailey’s offense was?

Why? Because a roller pin in the hands of my wife is akin to setting off a nuke on my head. But yeah, I agree with you that running the football is absolutely critical to evening things up.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t followed his career. Ok results at temple, Florida D was good, but they had good recruiting before he came. What about him makes you happy?

Relatively young with a chip on his shoulder and willing to go all in for Georgia Tech. Familiar with the um... peculiar challenges of the Institute. Proven recruiter who knows Georgia and Florida. He could be quite a catch for some program. We could do worse...a whole lot worse.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
I still think Mike Leach would be great. He probably wouldn't be interested. However, I believe I read he was. Could be a rumor .

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This thread reminds me of the Volnation board and the hiring of Jeremy Pruitt. They hated him. Didn't want him. Didn't think he was right for UT.

Then they found that UT wasn't a destination job anymore. They couldn't find ONE head coach who would take the job. Heck, Butch Jones had been their seventh pick. And after a CF of a search, Phil Fulmer swoops in and brings in ... a football coach. A guy who grew up in football. Lives it. Loves it. Excelled at it. And the fans find ... they can beat Auburn. Kentucky. Things are moving in a positive direction. The kids play until the whistle blows. And for a full 60 min.

Regardless of WHO the head coach will be, it's ultimately going to be the assistants and the support that make the difference. I don't have an opinion on KW but ... he has the support of the AD, the donors, and the Hill. That's a lot better than coming in and having the support of ... no one.

We have to build a PROGRAM again. If KW is the guy that can get things moving for 4-5 years and we tee up another, fine. I personally like the idea of KW along with Tee Martin as OC, keeping Woody and building a great modern staff. Do I think some of the others would? I don't know. But it's pretty strong when you have the stars aligned around one guy. If those stars are focused on what it will take to build a program we can be proud of.

Animal02

Banned
This thread reminds me of the Volnation board and the hiring of Jeremy Pruitt. They hated him. Didn't want him. Didn't think he was right for UT.

Then they found that UT wasn't a destination job anymore. They couldn't find ONE head coach who would take the job. Heck, Butch Jones had been their seventh pick. And after a CF of a search, Phil Fulmer swoops in and brings in ... a football coach. A guy who grew up in football. Lives it. Loves it. Excelled at it. And the fans find ... they can beat Auburn. Kentucky. Things are moving in a positive direction. The kids play until the whistle blows. And for a full 60 min.

Regardless of WHO the head coach will be, it's ultimately going to be the assistants and the support that make the difference. I don't have an opinion on KW but ... he has the support of the AD, the donors, and the Hill. That's a lot better than coming in and having the support of ... no one.

We have to build a PROGRAM again. If KW is the guy that can get things moving for 4-5 years and we tee up another, fine. I personally like the idea of KW along with Tee Martin as OC, keeping Woody and building a great modern staff. Do I think some of the others would? I don't know. But it's pretty strong when you have the stars aligned around one guy. If those stars are focused on what it will take to build a program we can be proud of.
We do NOT have to build a program again. We have a program that well over 50% of FBS schools would love to have.
1. We are over .500 winning percentage.
2. Have made a bowl game for decades minus except for two time.
3. Have been relatively scandal free
4. Have players that are not only meeting the APR, but are graduating.

Could things improve.....certainly. But in no sense of the word do we need rebuilding.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We do NOT have to build a program again. We have a program that well over 50% of FBS schools would love to have.

I disagree. You are referring mostly to ... coaching. We have had, by comparison to other schools, a serious lack of infrastructure spend, a serious lack of recruiting investment, a serious lack of funds for many many things.

Did you know some of the sports teams travel and meals are arranged? If you did, it's pathetic for a D1 school to have to do so. The reality is ... Tech/GTAA does not have the cash flow others do.

We have a good program. We don't have a great program. And as long was we consider ourselves good, we will never be great. Good is the enemy of Great.

Animal02

Banned
I disagree. You are referring mostly to ... coaching. We have had, by comparison to other schools, a serious lack of infrastructure spend, a serious lack of recruiting investment, a serious lack of funds for many many things.

Did you know some of the sports teams travel and meals are arranged? If you did, it's pathetic for a D1 school to have to do so. The reality is ... Tech/GTAA does not have the cash flow others do.

We have a good program. We don't have a great program. And as long was we consider ourselves good, we will never be great. Good is the enemy of Great.
I agree that Tech needs to up its game, but that is not a matter of "rebuilding."
We have the core in place. My fear is that this rebuilding idea means taking two steps backwards from where Tech already is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Tech needs to up its game, but that is not a matter of "rebuilding."
We have the core in place. My fear is that this rebuilding idea means taking two steps backwards from where Tech already is.

We have different definitions I think.

I remember the old Navy Armory on Third Street. And when Homer came in and built the Edge. Now, TStan wants to demolish Edge and build a new center.

Massive fundraising (by our standards) followed by infrastructure and employee spend ... in my book ... is rebuilding. We need a vision and a consistency, matched by investment, to do what we want to do. I have no expectations that we will win a Nattie again. I do think we should be able to win 8 games a year with an occassional breakout to 9, 10, or 11. Consistency. We spend and stop. Hire a coach and fire. Stop/start. That's not a program. That's a department.

Status
Not open for further replies.