Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
I don't think Jeff Monken has been ruled out by anything other than rumor on message boards. I just did a google search and can not find anything that addresses that. I know football scoop speculated GT was moving away from the option but I think that was just speculation. Monken would most likely not run the same offense as CPJ if he did come.

Go Jackets!
But but but, if it is on the internet, it must be true.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are alumni so I get it, but my god, why do I put myself through this torture?

Ever been to a family reunion and male cousin shows up with a smoking hot date that everyone knows is crazy? Then the next year the cousin shows up with the same smoking hot crazy chick but this time she has a ring on her finger.

That's how I feel right now except we are ALL that cousin and the chick isn't smoking hot but she is crazy...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Animal02

Banned
Why does anyone think Monken is going to come here? If anything Monken & Niumatalolo learned from Johnson is that coaching at the academies is probably the best head coaching gig you could ever have. If I was those 2 I’d stay in that job as long as I could. You have an intensely loyal fanbase that understands who they’re rooting for, players that work hard & play as a team, etc. You can’t win a national championship at the academies, but you can say that for about 115-120 of the 130 FBS schools.
Why? $$$$$$$$$$$

Animal02

Banned
Okay.....a little off topic.....but this thread needs to lighten up a bit...
47326532_2329785747096101_7508195229657202688_n.jpg

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1-11 , 3-9, 4-8, and then 1-11
Pro football and not put in a very good position imo Let me give you some more since you only wanted to go with the bad. Super Bowl, current top 5 offense, coached some really good QB’s (one early in his career, maybe even 2) regardless I’m not saying he would be a good or bad, honestly none of us know. If he is hired though he deserves the fans to give him a shot without bashing him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if we can ever get a Rivers/Warner level talent, but if we do great. I am more concerned with his HC career than his OC career. People complain about CPJ because he apparently only focuses on his offense and it is wins that matter. So sorry if I am skeptical of a guy who has not proven to be a winner as a HC despite proving he can put together an offense given a HOF QB.

I don't agree with your first point. Obviously just comparing talent levels the likelihood that we get a successful NFL quality QB isn't slim, as it is for almost any school. It's just the numbers game. But comparatively speaking Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Warner were all very good, but none were ever really the tip of the top QBs (IMO guys like Brady, Manning, Breese, and Farve). Maybe I'm wrong since I'm not the biggest nfl fan, but I think that's the case. And at the college level I think it's unlikely that we can attract that absolute top of of the bunch (maybe in the future if we had several success stories), but I do think we could land a tier 2 (read still very good) type of guy.

My issue with the HC argument is that, as people have pointed out, the NFL and college games are different. That isn't just true for saying that his accomplishments should be viewed with a grain of salt but also that his shortcomings should too. There are many ways to fail at being an NFL HC that aren't as big of an issue with being a college HC. It also isn't like his HC career wasn't without successes. His time with the Titans sucked, but he did a pretty good job with the Cardnials initially improving them right away. Eventually it didn't work out, partially because they never could get a solid QB after Warner retired (one difference where the NFL and college is different),

To me the biggest sell for him is his work with QBs and his biggest downside is being away from the college game so long. I actually don't view the HC record as being overly significant because of the differences in college and pro. I like the idea of him being the one to help develop Graham, and think, like with pretty much any hire, that assistants will play a huge role in how successful he is. He isn't my first choice but man we could do a lot worse.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Watch KC, Carolina, and the Rams play. The offenses are fun. Texans are fun just because DeShaun Watson makes sh!t happen. Offenses are beginning to see value in college concepts.

I think that's my problem with Whisenhunt. Admittedly, I haven't watched all his games as an OC, but my impression is his way of thinking is very traditional NFL-style. "Quarterbacks who can run? What? Why would I have him carry the ball? RPO? Really Pregnant Opthamologist? What's that?"

If anything, you could claim he's done well with the big, tall, immobile white guy with the laser rocket arm (Warner, Rivers) and done really crappy with the elusive, mobile dual-threat guy (Mariotta). Uh-oh, guess what our roster is loaded with.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Pro football and not put in a very good position imo Let me give you some more since you only wanted to go with the bad. Super Bowl, current top 5 offense, coached some really good QB’s (one early in his career, maybe even 2) regardless I’m not saying he would be a good or bad, honestly none of us know. If he is hired though he deserves the fans to give him a shot without bashing him.
KW wont be given a honeymoon like other head coaches in my opinion if he's hired:cigar: He will catch hell right from the beginning from the majority of GT fans:cigar:

Status
Not open for further replies.