Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Without a HOF QB mediocre is being generous.

Why does he keep getting hired in the NFL if he is so bad? Did the Chargers want their offense to suck? They hired him after the Titans disaster. I do know he is a very personable and charismatic guy. From a personality standpoint he is nothing like Gailey. Can he win/recruit at GT, I don't know. Could Vince Lombardi? Paul Johnson could but he was always in the doghouse for some reason. Frankly, among the candidates being discussed, he seems head and shoulders above them all imho. But, I am not an "expert" like so many others on here.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, it's not like Whisenhunt hasn't had any success...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt

...but the last years of KW as a HC?! I'll let everyone be the judge.

I wonder if Whiz falls into the Norv Turner category.

Although, as others have pointed out, he did have a Heisman-winner in Marcus Mariota and went 2-14. Still, you can't look at football in vacuum. Did he try to to put spread concepts into the offense? Or did he go, "Hey! West Coast with Michael Vick!" and think it would work?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
When he has had to coach young QB's, it has not went very well.

some guys are good coaches and developers. Some guys are good with mature players; already seasoned and veterans. They know how to coach those. Thats Ken. He is not the former. So its hard for me to believe college is a good fit for him. Let alone all the other negatives etc....just sigh. smh. sigh.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why does he keep getting hired in the NFL if he is so bad? Did the Chargers want their offense to suck? They hired him after the Titans disaster. I do know he is a very personable and charismatic guy. From a personality standpoint he is nothing like Gailey. Can he win/recruit at GT, I don't know. Could Vince Lombardi? Paul Johnson could but he was always in the doghouse for some reason. Frankly, among the candidates being discussed, he seems head and shoulders above them all imho. But, I am not an "expert" like so many others on here.

it takes forever for the nfl brotherhood to kick you out. They all keep up for each other. Just look at philbin in green bay. Do you know, when he went to dolphins leaving mccarthy, he told his friends what a crap coach mccarthy was, and was overrated. In fact, he told my friend MM was dumb and not a even a good coach. He goes to dolphins. Sucks. Mccarthy hires him back and he had no issue going back. And yes. I am airing this out. **** him.

nfl is retarded. Its totally incestuous

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys... I think you all just need to prepare yourselves for KW and be shocked if it’s someone else. I have slept on it and I’m ready to accept it. I can’t ***** because I was vocal in wanting a new coach that didn’t run the triple option. Gotta man up and support my own opinion.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys... I think you all just need to prepare yourselves for KW and be shocked if it’s someone else. I have slept on it and I’m ready to accept it. I can’t ***** because I was vocal in wanting a new coach that didn’t run the triple option. Gotta man up and support my own opinion.

cpj is right. our fanbase will look back at his 11 years and go damn. I know he is right...it just takes one bad hire to make everyone go MONKEN

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I will call it what it is. You cherry picking years to suit your narrative. Cool story bro.

So I should go back 5+ years or longer when he was coaching Chan’s players? I’m more interested in recent results rather than historical. But that’s just me. I’ve said my peace on PJ and I’m turning the page. Last thing I’m sayin on it. Back on topic.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So I should go back 5+ years or longer when he was coaching Chan’s players? I’m more interested in recent results rather than historical. But that’s just me. I’ve said my peace on PJ and I’m turning the page. Last thing I’m sayin on it. Back on topic.
He was coaching his players 5 years ago. Wtf?
Edit: and three years ago.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins is intriguing. Big program experience under some good coaches, and also has good record(but short) record as an HC.

At Temple:

Defensive FEI:
2018 - 25
2017 - 29

Offensive FEI:
2018 - 51
2017 - 97

As you can see, Temple took on the image of their HC, which is a very good defensive team. They got slightly better in year 2.

Offensively, they were not great in 2017 but improved a LOT in 2018 even though they came in at just 51 OFEI. That can be attributed to new staff inheriting players and players having to learn a new system. The 4 tier improvement bodes well that the new system was effective in year 2.

Year 3 would be interesting to play out as by then the coach's recruited players will have taken root, and existing players are more comfortable on both sides of the ball. Still, those are promising results for Collins.

It must be rough to be a fan of a school like Temple and KNOW that it is only a matter of time until someone comes along and poaches your coach without so much as a bye your leave. According to something I read on another site, Coach Collins is already lobbying for the job through back channels and attempting to shoe horn himself into the conversation. Can't say I blame him. What did WC Fields have on his tombstone? "I would rather be here than in Philadelphia" Geoff probably does not want to hang around any longer than he has to.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Whiz falls into the Norv Turner category.

Although, as others have pointed out, he did have a Heisman-winner in Marcus Mariota and went 2-14. Still, you can't look at football in vacuum. Did he try to to put spread concepts into the offense? Or did he go, "Hey! West Coast with Michael Vick!" and think it would work?

Mariota would have been thrilled if he had done either of those.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
cpj is right. our fanbase will look back at his 11 years and go damn. I know he is right...it just takes one bad hire to make everyone go MONKEN

Nah....no more service academy coaches or offenses. We are in Atlanta. The right system and coaches can make us so much better than that. We do not have be scared of change because it’s comfortable.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

You really have to question the NFL hiring decisions. (Not aimed at Whiz) But why did Gailey keep getting jobs in the NFL

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He was coaching his players 5 years ago. Wtf?
Edit: and three years ago.
I said 5 years OR LONGER when he was coaching someone else’s players. Damn you can beat Tetris but I guess you don’t need reading comprehension for that. 3 years ago was 2015 and we all know that season and both wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.