Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it was more than that. I think it was both bringing Colin Peek with him to Alabama (He was already a freshman with us), which, like you I really don't have a problem with because Peek needed to go somewhere else. The thing that caused the stink back then was that he talked to (or maybe met with) a WR recruit of ours Chris something, during a dead period when there was supposed to be no recruiting going on. This was while he was still with GT and making plans to go to Bama or on his way out the door. Maybe some rumblings about him bad-mouthing us as well, but I truly don't remember that part very well. I do remember well people saying he had completely burned his bridges with GT on the way out.

This is all kind of vague, but I am all for NOT hiring anyone with a lack of integrity or any sort of inclination toward shadiness.

good memory. Chris Jackson, who ended up quitting GT anyway....

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was more than that. I think it was both bringing Colin Peek with him to Alabama (He was already a freshman with us), which, like you I really don't have a problem with because Peek needed to go somewhere else. The thing that caused the stink back then was that he talked to (or maybe met with) a WR recruit of ours Chris something, during a dead period when there was supposed to be no recruiting going on. This was while he was still with GT and making plans to go to Bama or on his way out the door. Maybe some rumblings about him bad-mouthing us as well, but I truly don't remember that part very well. I do remember well people saying he had completely burned his bridges with GT on the way out.

This is all kind of vague, but I am all for NOT hiring anyone with a lack of integrity or any sort of inclination toward shadiness.
Chris Jackson is the name you're thinking of - WR/AB out of Henry County HS.

Edit: Got me by a hair, @33jacket

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think Monken wants the GT job.

I think it would be surprising to know how much CPJ and his tree talk. Monken knows exactly how Paul feels and why he decided to step away.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Whi
Put me solidly in the Whisenhunt camp for Whisenhunt vs. Monken. Whisenhunt is a huge question mark but I'd rather take the gamble and call it quits if it doesn't work out after 3 or 4 years.

Whisenhunt is 56. He'll be retired in 3-4 years. In fact, I will bet this is the reason the job is attractive ... he can downshift to college and cruise into retirement.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think Monken wants the GT job.

I think it would be surprising to know how much CPJ and his tree talk. Monken knows exactly how Paul feels and why he decided to step away.

Monken got to see firsthand the hurdles that would await him. I don't think Monken would want the job, either. He's a midwest guy, I think, so doesn't really have ties down here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My definition of flabbergasted is how many GT fans want to stay with the TO ???? ... do you guys not watch any other football ????

I don't really care what system we run. When the TO is executing ... it's exciting to watch. But even CPJ hasn't run a pure option in some time.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If we are not going to make a play for Elliott or he isn't interested, go ahead and get Collins.

Whi

Whisenhunt is 56. He'll be retired in 3-4 years. In fact, I will bet this is the reason the job is attractive ... he can downshift to college and cruise into retirement.

Does he really think being a college head coach would be "downshifting" from being a pro coordinator? lol. Only if he had his staff do literally everything.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If we are not going to make a play for Elliott or he isn't interested, go ahead and get Collins.

Does he really think being a college head coach would be "downshifting" from being a pro coordinator? lol. Only if he had his staff do literally everything.
Depends on the buyout

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

From pro to GT? Yes. It would be downshifting. If it was pro to Alabama, it would be a lateral transfer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Monken got to see firsthand the hurdles that would await him. I don't think Monken would want the job, either. He's a midwest guy, I think, so doesn't really have ties down here.

Eh, everyone in the midwest is moving to Atlanta anyhow. Eventually, the midwest and Monken could meet in Atlanta...

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
@Yomanser , Something you said in the "Coaching Search Updates" thread:
In addition, the triple option seems to be on the way out, potentially preventing the hire of any option coach from the Paul Johnson tree

Can you give insight into the basis for this statement? Thanks.
(Can't reply to that thread, so I thought I'd ask it here.)

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd guess a lot of this comes down to Scott Satterfield's decision. If Satterfield goes to Louisville or opts to stay at Appalachian State (we might find out soon), I think we are going to offer Geoff Collins and I'd expect he'd take the job. Many have mentioned that Collins has been eyeing the GT job for years now and he would be a guy I think would undoubtedly be energetic and excited about working here. It's been mentioned that he was very active in trying to get Temple and Philadelphia more connected, which is a goal a lot of people have for melding GT and Atlanta's culture. In addition to being known as a great recruiter, I also think he'd do a great job at developing our young, talented defensive players and fixing our defensive woes.

Cam's Hot Take: Geoff Collins is hired as head coach and brings in Brent Key as his offensive coordinator.
I like that HOT Take.

Status
Not open for further replies.