Jolly Good Fellow
Tenuta doing anything?

Attachments

• 2F7C5F94-EB0D-4C9B-B022-F3D8C017385A.png
    2F7C5F94-EB0D-4C9B-B022-F3D8C017385A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we please stop talking about Tenuta and Roof? Let’s gets a new name that can bring a spark to this defense.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Tech can recruit the size needed to be a top d. We need scheme and high-level coaching here.

We need the big money to pay for big bodies upfront and find a way get these guys past the certain academic standard. sucks to say, but that’s really it.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we please stop talking about Tenuta and Roof? Let’s gets a new name that can bring a spark to this defense.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Tech can recruit the size needed to be a top d. We need scheme and high-level coaching here. If we can pull big bodies for up front? Great. But we need speed and coverage in the secondary first.
Tenuta had some of the best defenses ever here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta was at NCSU for a while while his son was on their baseball team. That was some time ago. I suspect he is totally out of coaching now but just an assumption since his name is not being mentioned these days. Reset. Just looked him up. He is coaching with some team in New Orleans. Not NFL.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Tenuta was at NCSU for a while while his son was on their baseball team. That was some time ago. I suspect he is totally out of coaching now but just an assumption since his name is not being mentioned these days. Reset. Just looked him up. He is coaching with some team in New Orleans. Not NFL.
here is a crazy tidbit, Tenuta replaced Bill Lewis as AHC coach at notre dame

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Different game then. Although I noticed that our previous DC was also fond of the fire zone, his scheme does not translate well to spread offenses. In a pro style, it works well to confuse the blocking and QB, but a spread offense will drop it off to a receiver who just has to beat the dropping DE…

Give me Michael Johnson, Daryl Richard, Joe Annoai, and Darrell Robertson and you can run whatever scheme you like.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Different game then. Although I noticed that our previous DC was also fond of the fire zone, his scheme does not translate well to spread offenses. In a pro style, it works well to confuse the blocking and QB, but a spread offense will drop it off to a receiver who just has to beat the dropping DE…

Give me Michael Johnson, Daryl Richard, Joe Annoai, and Darrell Robertson and you can run whatever scheme you like.
Wow. That's a stout DL. 3 NFL players and Roman Reigns.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Plyers, players, players, NIL, NIL, NIL . Basic issue. Great players make great coaches, PERIOD !! This thread is useless.
I agree to an extent. Venables himself has said having War Daddies up front makes all the difference.

That said, Elko goes to Duke and has immediate success withe the players who are already there. If you read about the Duke turnaround Elko says the biggest thing when he arrived was that the players failed the eyeball test. He put as much into S&C as he possibly could. Obviously paid dividends for them.

As an ex-college LB who had an amazing DC and amazing talent on the defensive side that produced a nationally ranked defense, coaching matters. Dude tweaked the D each week for each opponent. Lots of subtlety with shading DL this way or that, or assignment changes that had huge impacts. Sometimes assignment changes in response to different plays or formations.

For example for one opponent DC decided offside ILB rushes the QB automatically on sprint-out away. I came into a game as freshman in the second half and had 3 sacks in five minutes. Totally unblocked, no skill required...just run over there and tackle somebody, like taking candy from a baby.

At the same time we had an all-american DT AND an all-conference DT one year, and an all American speed rusher for a couple years after. Had an LB-sized free safety who hit like a load of bricks. Dudes made plays.

Our DC was the S&C coach (this was D-III) and knew what he was doing. Guys got huge and strong. So really it all fits together. Amazing to see how guys transform physically.

Any way you slice it having DL that win one on one's and eat people is huge. They require a lot of attention and are just disruptive as hell. Makes it really fun.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Whether we keep Sherrer or not I do like the improvement in tackling and D has improved some. I don't like that we routinely let QBs scramble for 1st downs on third an long. Something is screwy...some of these guys aren't great running QBs.

I think we should see who's available and make the best decision possible. Might be Sherrer, might not. Don't mind keeping Sherrer and even Thacker as position coaches.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree to an extent. Venables himself has said having War Daddies up front makes all the difference.

That said, Elko goes to Duke and has immediate success withe the players who are already there. If you read about the Duke turnaround Elko says the biggest thing when he arrived was that the players failed the eyeball test. He put as much into S&C as he possibly could. Obviously paid dividends for them.

As an ex-college LB who had an amazing DC and amazing talent on the defensive side that produced a nationally ranked defense, coaching matters. Dude tweaked the D each week for each opponent. Lots of subtlety with shading DL this way or that, or assignment changes that had huge impacts. Sometimes assignment changes in response to different plays or formations.

For example for one opponent DC decided offside ILB rushes the QB automatically on sprint-out away. I came into a game as freshman in the second half and had 3 sacks in five minutes. Totally unblocked, no skill required...just run over there and tackle somebody, like taking candy from a baby.

At the same time we had an all-american DT AND an all-conference DT one year, and an all American speed rusher for a couple years after. Had an LB-sized free safety who hit like a load of bricks. Dudes made plays.

Our DC was the S&C coach (this was D-III) and knew what he was doing. Guys got huge and strong. So really it all fits together. Amazing to see how guys transform physically.

Any way you slice it having DL that win one on one's and eat people is huge. They require a lot of attention and are just disruptive as hell. Makes it really fun.
Some coaches can see everything and some can't see crap.
But like IB said its the disrupter dt or de is the huge difference maker.

My buddy who lived in Eufala ok knew the Selmon brothers and was key in getting them to go to OU. I didn't know that when i met him. He said hey , want to go over to norman and watch ou play. Heck yea. We got there and a coach met us w 2 tickets on the 50. Got to have the cats to win championships

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Good post. thanks for the players view point.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I wasn't suggesting coaching doesn't matter. It's just that at GT we have a difficult time recruiting DL. And should make NIL available for those positions a priority. A great coach can only do so much schemeing to cover weak spots. It's hard for me to judge the D coaching given such a handicap.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't suggesting coaching doesn't matter. It's just that at GT we have a difficult time recruiting DL. And should make NIL available for those positions a priority. A great coach can only do so much schemeing to cover weak spots. It's hard for me to judge the D coaching given such a handicap.
I'm happy with Marco for now. With his recruiting ability and a decent NIL, I think our DL will come along fine with his coaching ability.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Since we love the idea of alums …

I wonder if Eric Henderson has any interest in the college game? Guy is doing quite well and progressing his way through the NFL ranks.