Potential DC for Next Year

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I guess, but there are plenty of other rules he could violate. There's always the blurring of the line twixt "analyst" and "coach". But the only time he did it (or got caught) was as UT's HC, so if he could skirt under the restriction and if it could be assured we could somehow keep an eye on him, then maybe.

He'd bring a lot of baggage, though. Probably best to just get somebody with a clean record IMO. There are plenty of good young and hungry coaches out there in G-5 land who would jump at the chance, if indeed we need another DC.
Yes, by all means let's go hire someone who's in trouble with the Law.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't know much about him one way or another, but found this:

From the article:
It'll be a long time before Jeremy Pruitt returns to college football in a coaching capacity.

The former Tennessee football coach was handed a six-year show-cause penalty for his role in the recruiting scandal that got him and nine of his staffers fired for cause on Jan. 18, 2021.

A show-cause penalty means a university cannot hire a coach or recruiter without being subject to penalties during the length of the ban unless the NCAA signs off. If Pruitt seeks employment or affiliation with any athletically related position at an NCAA member institution in the next six years, the employing institution is required to contact the Committee on Infractions "to show cause why restrictions on all athletically related activity should not apply."

Even better. Let's run out an hire this clown!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For those who haven't seen Zach Alley at Jax State coach, do yourself a favor and check him out. He is one of the best young defensive minds in college football.
Will do.
Watching Miami Oh vs Buffalo( not good) on Espn
-Its so fun to watch( Miami) a defense that plays assigment , well spaced, good tackle angles, rally to ball. When they make a tackle , they don't jump around like its a miracle that the made the play.

Only give up about 10 pts per game
Maybe worth a look.

j_rig2008

Georgia Tech Fan
Are we sure we have a DC problem? I noticed a difference in tackling ability after thacker was demoted and sheerer promoted. I feel like next season will be better. We have a lot of guys coming back, some of them first time starters this season. Plus Sylvain will be back from his injury. Would have him, Eddie Kelly, Zeek and Kyle Kennard, Efford at LB (only a freshman this season!) We definitely need some help in the secondary though!!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if we need a new DC or not but we do need players on defense, I'm guessing we do defensively with the portal and recruiting what we did last Dec/Jan offensively with the portal and end up with a good defense next season along with a good offense. I think we're in the position to do so if the $ are there. Defensively it may be DL, LB and DB. Seems to me we need players at all three. I would be surprised if Sylvain returns, just a gut feel, do not know anything, hope he does if he wants to.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Are we sure we have a DC problem? I noticed a difference in tackling ability after thacker was demoted and sheerer promoted. I feel like next season will be better. We have a lot of guys coming back, some of them first time starters this season. Plus Sylvain will be back from his injury. Would have him, Eddie Kelly, Zeek and Kyle Kennard, Efford at LB (only a freshman this season!) We definitely need some help in the secondary though!!
I agree with this but a lot depends on Saturday. If our defense plays physical and tackles well, I would lean toward retaining him for another year as DC and giving him a chance to recruit as a DC. And I would double down on my opinion on this if we win and go bowling.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Good points but disagree about the front 7. The problem is not so much coaching although it probably a contributing factor as it is a lack of speed, conditioning, talent, across the board. The line backers are historically bad and the line is awful. We look fat and slow compared to Clemson's defensive line. Just changing coaches will not fix this and I do not share your optimism about next year with largely the same guys.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if we need a new DC or not but we do need players on defense, I'm guessing we do defensively with the portal and recruiting what we did last Dec/Jan offensively with the portal and end up with a good defense next season along with a good offense. I think we're in the position to do so if the $ are there. Defensively it may be DL, LB and DB. Seems to me we need players at all three. I would be surprised if Sylvain returns, just a gut feel, do not know anything, hope he does if he wants to.

I will not lose sleep if Sherrer is retained. The defense arguably had a better game last night than the offense. They had solid efforts against Miami, Virginia and Syracuse. As a team we are 4-2 since letting Thacker go. UNC wasn’t an impressive defensive outing overall, but they made a few big stops in the end. Give him a whole offseason as DC, who knows?

Having said that, I don’t think the results have been mindblowingly better since Sherrer took over to just automatically give him the job. I would prefer we at least take a look elsewhere before making a long term decision.

The one caveat I’ll add is if the defense looks respectable, despite being well overmatched by Ugag and then also plays very well in the bowl game, plus having consistency over the off-season; I’d probably give him the job.

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I will not lose sleep if Sherrer is retained. The defense arguably had a better game last night than the offense. They had solid efforts against Miami, Virginia and Syracuse. As a team we are 4-2 since letting Thacker go. UNC wasn’t an impressive defensive outing overall, but they made a few big stops in the end. Give him a whole offseason as DC, who knows?

Having said that, I don’t think the results have been mindblowing better since Sherrer took over to just automatically give him the job. I would prefer we at least take a look elsewhere before making a long term decision.

The one caveat I’ll add is if the defense looks respectable, despite being well overmatched by Ugag and then also plays very well in the bowl game, plus having consistency over the off-season; I’d probably give him the job.
^^
This. But I do think our tackling issues and communication on defense is maybe not mind blowing but they have been addressed and greatly improved in such a short time under Sherrer.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
^^
This. But I do think our tackling issues and communication on defense is maybe not mind blowing but they have been addressed and greatly improved in such a short time under Sherrer.

This is a good point. We have come a long way from the one on one broken tackles against Louisville. It’s crazy to see their record right now and remember we had them on the ropes. Aw well. We’ll get ‘um next time.