Potential DC for Next Year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe we need to hire a proven 3-3-5 guru and let him bring in all his own assistants, that scheme would allow us to recruit fewer DT’s and with the right coach who can really teach it and make adjustments on the fly give us a unique schematic advantage.
Schemes are fun.

Off topic but I vaguely recall in the 70’s Southern California running a 5-1-5 with a monster nose tackle and a super athletic middle linebacker. They would jam the middle of the line and the two defensive ends were athletic enough to run down wide plays as well as converge on the quarterback on pass plays. There were also enough big bodies up front to keep the linebacker free to roam sideline to sideline. One safety played center fielder to stop all potential breakaway plays. Two other safeties could instantly turn into outside linebackers. Or the middle linebacker could join the line for a six man front.

Never saw any other teams run it but it worked for USC because they had some of the best athletes in the country. They used to pulverize Alabama.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
On reflection, I think we do have one dog on our defense and that is Clayton Powell Lee. That young man wants to be great and wants to win. I notice he is very vocal on the sidelines when the defense comes off the field and is getting in his teammates faces to let them know they need to play better. We just need to find 10 more to go along with him.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On reflection, I think we do have one dog on our defense and that is Clayton Powell Lee. That young man wants to be great and wants to win. I notice he is very vocal on the sidelines when the defense comes off the field and is getting in his teammates faces to let them know they need to play better. We just need to find 10 more to go along with him.

Go Jackets!
Sorry for slight de rail
Agree
He has upped his tackling - by hitting thru the runner. Have to see him in person to see how he can close on good angle.

I never appreciated Morgan Burnett till I saw him in Orange bowl. CPL gas a ways to go to be in that conversation. Looking forward to watching him improve IN A COHERENT DEFENSIVE SCHEME

slugboy

Staff member
There are so many variations of these defenses. Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn (despite his HC career in Atlanta, he’s regarded as a defensive genius) ran a 4-3 with the Legion of Boom, but it wasn’t any 4-3. Some players had a 2-gap assignment and some had a 1-gap assignment, including on the DL.

Seattle in the last season swapped to a 3-4 using some of the same principles

My hope is that the current guys figure it out. If the other team is calling the tune, your side is usually losing.

There’s plenty of room to innovate in a 4-3 or 4-2-5 or 3-3-5. Some teams do very well with a leaner and faster DL. You should have a defensive plan that works with the players you have. That’s doable

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The LB loss with White at DE this yr has been HUGE.There have been no one stepping up except maybe Kennard. So--we are nowhere near even the below -avg DEF from last yr.The weak tackling at the first of yr was a indicator of the coaching approach to me..Like someone said--could we do any worse with a change.?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I still haven't figured ou defense in college football these days. Teams with 5* studs like LSU can give up 700 yards to an Ole Miss. USC can be terrible on defense (yielding 49 to Cal, etc) with the resources and athletes they have. Programs like Florida which have NIL money, lots to sell in Gainesville, history etc (and coeds) can't field a decent defense. Somehow, it's not as simple as having great pure athletes. There are simply too many examples of highly regarded teams with superior athletes being riddled on defense.

It just seems to me based on that fact that coaching must play a role as a differentiator. Yes, you need athletes, but you ALSO need coaching. Whether that is teaching fundamentals like tackling or scheming your way to stops on D, the coaching I think matters. I heard what CPJ said pregame on how you defend Drake May, and his answer was that you had to mix it up. You had to hit him with pressure, preferably disguised, then maybe drop 8 on the next play. You couldn't stick to one base scheme or he'd pick you apart. I know rules now favor offense. You can grab a defenders jersey and hold him as long as it is between his shoulders and you are impeding his rush, for example. That used to be called "holding" for many, many years.

I'm just saying that there must be a mix of better talent and better coaching for GT to improve on defense. Relying on one or the other alone just won't get us there. (But, more speed in the front 7 would help a lot, tbh.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Listening to Kelly on rivals, we may have not made significant blitz adjustments for BC and UNC due to their talented qbs.

Maybe we could get some aggression.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
If we have to go budget again, somebody on our radar should be Mickey Conn. He built the Grayson program to its current prestige and has been up at Clemson for a while now. Started as an analyst and now is co-DC/safeties coach, and is a solid recruiter. He’s pretty close with Dabo personally, but maybe he’d look for a promotion and move back to Atlanta?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I like the guy who is currently the DC at Ohio. Has the 4th ranked defense in the country and has lead a top ranked MAC defense for 7 years. Guy is known for bringing the heat