Potential DC for Next Year

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LMAO. If that was the only problem, I would be delighted. We desperately need an upgrade at DL and LB. Great DL make DC look great. Opposite is true.
I understand what you're saying and don't disagree; however, it's the coaches' job to put the players they have into a scheme that allows them to be successful with the ability they have. Do we need better play? Absolutely! But, does the coaching staff have a duty to put these guys in a position to where we're playing to our strengths? Absolutely!

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand what you're saying and don't disagree; however, it's the coaches' job to put the players they have into a scheme that allows them to be successful with the ability they have. Do we need better play? Absolutely! But, does the coaching staff have a duty to put these guys in a position to where we're playing to our strengths? Absolutely!
I would hope that this is addressed by CBK this week. The communication issues were so obvious, Wes Durham was talking about it on the broadcast. We can't upgrade coaches or players at this point, but we can at least get the damn call in, even if it's wrong....

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
you bring in a new DC and change out several defensive coaches 2 years in a row you will both blowup recruiting on defense players and likely have a number of defensive players transfer again. Players hate constant change and losing the coaches who recruited them and have relationships.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Good grief guys. It's obviously not a coaching problem. Did you watch the freaking game? Our DL got manhandled. The best DC in the freaking universe couldn't solve that. Get over you whining.
I partially agree that talent is a problem, we don’t have an edge DE or DL that who can get to the QB that creates all kind of issues. We HAVE to address that and LB in the offseason via transfer portal. Some of the manhandling could be technique or strength/conditioning. We have two very large men playing DT, how the hell are they getting manhandled so badly? We have zero imagination on blitzing with LB’s or DB’s, thats coaching. Our LB’s act like they don’t know what to do, tackle poorly, take bad angles, flow to the wrong gaps etc, that’s partially on coaching. Guess who our LB coach is…..Sherrer. I personally don’t think that Coleman is a very good DL coach. I like Tillman ok, the db’s have def improved since he took over imo. The whole thing needs to be flushed out and start over with a proven mastermind DC with a unique scheme (that recruits and transfers WANT to play for) and let him bring in his coaches and transfers of choice.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
you bring in a new DC and change out several defensive coaches 2 years in a row you will both blowup recruiting on defense players and likely have a number of defensive players transfer again. Players hate constant change and losing the coaches who recruited them and have relationships.
Goodby and good luck to any of them that don’t like it. Keeping Sherrer, Thacker, Coleman, Tillman is just asking for another season of abysmal defensive play. No star DE is transferring here with these coaches in place.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if we tried but Tony White was the cuse dc and he ran a cool 3-3-5, but was hired by Nebraska.

One interesting name is Zach Arnett, who was the man before White was hired but went to MSU instead. Coached under current Cuse DC Rocky Long, also a 3-3-5 guy.
There are rumblings that since his buyout is only 4.5 million he may be fired this season. I’m sure he would be a hot commodity but would be a great choice if he gets the axe,
He has been awful as HC at MSU, firing may be in the works

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
But we didn’t bring in a new DC two years in a row? Position coaches move around a lot.
Same argument could be made for keeping Long and the offensive coaches, but we ripped the bandaid off and are better on that side of the ball than we ever were under Collins.

I would like to bring someone in with a philosophy and recruit towards that, even if that hurts us this offseason

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of the manhandling could be technique or strength/conditioning. We have two very large men playing DT, how the hell are they getting manhandled so badly?
On just about every pass play, it looked like UNC's tackles and guards all had a double handful of gold jersey pushing straight back and our DL didn't seem to be able to shed that block. I'm no defensive genius, but if an o-lineman has both hands on your pads or jersey, that leaves both your arms free to shove him to the side. Just a thought....

Edit - does Tech have a judo club?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
But we didn’t bring in a new DC two years in a row? Position coaches move around a lot.
Same argument could be made for keeping Long and the offensive coaches, but we ripped the bandaid off and are better on that side of the ball than we ever were under Collins.

I would like to bring someone in with a philosophy and recruit towards that, even if that hurts us this offseason
Quick question: Why do you like the 3-3-5?

Personally, I don't like it, but some teams do well with it. I do think it matches our DL strengths a bit better, maybe, but we don't have the LB to run that, IMPO. So, I'm really curious why you like it. I guess with Efford at Mike, Moala at Sam, and Tatum at Will, we might could make a go of it. How would you see it fleshing out?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The defense that just gave up 38 to Kansas including allowing a late TD drive to lose the game because he favors “bend but don’t break”? No thanks.

Oh, I'm not arguing about how good his defense really is. I'm just stating Roof is currently making $1million+ and has one of the top defenses in the country according to DFEI.

Even if GT wanted him back, it would cost us a LOT of money.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So we should continue to have one of the worse defenses in P5 because we are afraid some players may transfer or be disgruntled?

Didn’t we already do this the last 2 off seasons by keeping Thacker yet didn’t we lose about 4-5 impact defensive players to the portal anyway? I hate to break it to you but we are going to lose several players to the portal this off season no matter what we do. It’s just the nature of the sport these days. Fans have to understand the days of dreaming about what your team may mold into next year are gone. Players and coaches come and go every year so in todays game very little is carried over from season to season. I can see Wade and Faulkner taking jobs this off season because their resume is gonna look very good based on metrics for our offense last year to this year. You gotta strike while the iron is hot! I hope not but if an Auburn or Clemson calls Faulkner yOU don’t think he’d go?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Got to find a dc that has done more w less and hit the portal.

How bout someone from Kansas, Kansas Stste, Iowa state, utaa?
The pro coach mentioned above.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If the problem is the players regardless of the coaching you definitely shouldn’t be precious about replacing a coach then! Clearly the recruiting and relationship story isn’t paying off.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I feel like from a recruiting perspective it is a little easier to recruit for a 4 man front. Finding that key DT for a 3 man front is the hardest position to recruit for. We already have a lot of recruiting disadvantages lets not make it even harder on ourselves.

Hell, I would be OK with a 5 man front if it gets more pressure and helps stop the run better

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Quick question: Why do you like the 3-3-5?

Personally, I don't like it, but some teams do well with it. I do think it matches our DL strengths a bit better, maybe, but we don't have the LB to run that, IMPO. So, I'm really curious why you like it. I guess with Efford at Mike, Moala at Sam, and Tatum at Will, we might could make a go of it. How would you see it fleshing out?
Age old debate. We have issues recruiting stud DL, but a two gap 3 down lineman scheme also counts on a war daddy as the NT which is enough of a unicorn to where our recruiting chance there is near zero. Part of why we moved on from Groh was to transition to a 1-gap scheme where that type of player isn’t necessary to hold the middle of the line.

And I am not married to the 3-3-5, as much as I feel it would work better for us long term to be able to find LB and LB/S tweeners to make it work. Much like the option, it could allow us to find niche players at positions we can recruit well and punch above our weight. The only issue is finding that NT. Cuse made it work and we recruit at a much higher level than them.

As far as our current talent, I’m not as concerned about that. This is about long term strategy and with the portal we can change our talent to fit our scheme relatively quickly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The defense needs someone to make them take more risks, but in coherent manner.
IS That person is on staff?
MAYBE - if we trust the offense to score?

If not got to find a dc that has done more w less and hit the portal.

How bout someone from Kansas, Kansas Stste, Iowa state, utaa, Missouri ,
The pro coach mentioned above.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense looked pretty good last year with good LB’s. Let the season finish out and let’s see if we need to make a coaching change. IMO we needs more studs on defense and it will be fine.
IMO the defensive coaching is putting these guys in every position they can to get stops and that’s why the defense has made big plays to help get the win. If we had 2 stud LB’s you’d see a whole different defense out there. Bottom line is we gotta get better players on defense and the coaches will be just fine. Just my opinion