Postseason Chances?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A potential 2nd round game will be against someone extremely tough for us.

Update?

Seems legit...

Last edited:

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
2 wins will get us right back on the bubble and we could get in depending on what happens with other tournaments. 3 wins and I think it's a lock. I am very disappointed in the game today but I am so thrilled with this team and the season they had. I think next year is the year we break back into the NCAA's.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
2 wins will get us right back on the bubble and we could get in depending on what happens with other tournaments. 3 wins and I think it's a lock. I am very disappointed in the game today but I am so thrilled with this team and the season they had. I think next year is the year we break back into the NCAA's.

Whether we get back on the bubble or not, go jackets

lawhoo1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey guys, I'm a UVA grad living in NYC. I have two tickets for the Tuesday night ACC tournament session. Really just trying to get rid of them, asking $10 bucks a piece. Can meet you in NYC. Email me [email protected] if anyone wants them.

(Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this; didn't want to start a new thread).

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
If Cuse and Wake somehow lose their first game and we win 2, would that push us ahead of them and get us in?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If Cuse and Wake somehow lose their first game and we win 2, would that push us ahead of them and get us in?

Lot of moving parts. The landscape changes with every result for basically the next 3 days

Personally I think we have to win 3. And even then I don't know. People have seemed to cool on Illinois St for reasons I thought have been obvious all season. You can't beat no one (except a shorthanded WichSt team) and lose to San Fran and I think Tulsa and just count on your 22 wins to get you in. So that's good.

What do Illinois, Seton Hall, Xavier, K-State CAL and about 7 others do?

Drawing names out of a hat is about the fairest way to do it right now.

With our RPI in the 90s I'd say it doesn't look gr8.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of piggybacking off of what Red has mentioned multiple times - we are not competing against just ACC teams for a spot. I think Cuse and Wake are in really good spots right now. Illinois State losing yesterday helped some - early games in this week's conf tourneys will shed a lot of light on what we're up against. If we see teams like K St, Illinois, USC, Xavier, Cal, etc. exit early, that's a good sign.

Regardless of what they do, we have to win 2 in my opinion to even have a rooting interest on Selection Sunday. I personally hate the Pitt match-up, and think we'll need to expend a lot of energy to get that one. Then you would turn around and play UVA 24 hours later - a team that forces you into a grind it out game. Just really not an ideal scenario for us.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The tournament tends to become point guard oriented the deeper you get due to depth and teams get tired. We just don't have a dominant point guard, so while I would hope we could win a game or two, I just dont see us going very deep with this team. I hope I am wrong. I actually wish Heath would shoot more. He actually is a pretty decent shooter and we could have used a 10 point per game average from him this year. He is a good free throw shooter but only seems to get to the line when we are ahead and he gets fouled intentionally. He is very good from the line late in the games. Wish he could create more fouls off his dribble. He has been a steady player for us this year. Just wish he would have shot it a little more. We sadly missed a really good outside shooter this year that could create shots off the dribble.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The tournament tends to become point guard oriented the deeper you get due to depth and teams get tired. We just don't have a dominant point guard, so while I would hope we could win a game or two, I just dont see us going very deep with this team. I hope I am wrong. I actually wish Heath would shoot more. He actually is a pretty decent shooter and we could have used a 10 point per game average from him this year. He is a good free throw shooter but only seems to get to the line when we are ahead and he gets fouled intentionally. He is very good from the line late in the games. Wish he could create more fouls off his dribble. He has been a steady player for us this year. Just wish he would have shot it a little more. We sadly missed a really good outside shooter this year that could create shots off the dribble.

Agree about Heath. He's sneaky good when he wants to be, but he's content distributing the ball and being a caretaker. Ever notice how he's always able to create his own shot and get by defenders when the shot clock is winding down? Hardly ever does that even when defenders are giving him space.

He's never going to be mistaken for Kenny Anderson or Stephon Marbury, but I always thought he was capable of being a Mfon Udofia type guard for us.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
They wouldn't leave the ACC Coach of the Year out of the NCAA Tournament, would they?

Has a team with an 8-10 conference record ever gotten in? My guess is that even if some have, they probably had better OOC credentials than us.

With that said, if we can beat Pitt and UVA, I think we're back on the bubble, but UVA is about as tough a matchup as we could get.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Lowest RPI at-large bid ever was in the low 70's, if I remember correctly. I posted it a while back somewhere. I think there's been less than a handful of teams with RPI's in the 70's that have ever received an at-large.

Here's one article published February 23, 2017:
During the last nine years the highest RPI of any team to receive an At-Large bid was USC’s 73 in 2011. The only other team with an RPI over 65 to get an At-Large bid was Syracuse (RPI 70) in 2016. It should be noted that Syracuse’s worst losses did occur while Jim Boeheim was serving a suspension, which was not accounted for by the RPI but may have been taken into consideration by the Committee.

This article from CBS Sports was published February 26, 2016:
Since the RPI formula changed in 2005....

Lowest RPI to get an at-large bid:
• 67 - USC (2011)
• 64 - Marquette (2011)
• 63 - North Carolina State (2005), Stanford (2007)
Most losses to get an at-large bid:
• 14 - Arizona (2008), Marquette, Michigan State, Penn State, Tennessee, USC (2011)
Highest RPI for a team with a [conference] winning percentage below .500:

67 - Georgia Tech (2008)

Interesting that the RPI's used for USC in 2011 were different... perhaps timing based on when the RPIs were calculated. Either way, an RPI in the 90's or 80's for that matter has never been an at-large. I'm not sure there's been a team with an RPI in the 90's or 80's with our quality wins though, and clearly that's why we're in the bubble discussion albeit outside looking in.