Postseason Chances?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And then he specifically talks about the bubble and later talks about the NIT as an after thought. After 25 pages OP hasn't corrected anyone in what they took as his meaning till your *** sauntered in the room.

Too bad your ****** azz would be ashamed of GT making the NIT in CJP first year

Techster

Helluva Engineer
According to Ken, GT probably makes NIT, but there's a chance we could be left out as well.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...et-certainty-for-tech/FpmE6ZsWxVKohfSIFDi73J/

Here's the part that should concern us:

In the past five years, the NIT selection committee has given at-large bids to only three power-conference teams with RPI’s higher than 90, and only one was higher than Tech’s 105. Perhaps more concerning, the NIT has not taken a team with 16 wins over that same span. In the record books, Tech is 17-15, but the NCAA selection committee does not recognize Tech’s win over Division II Tusculum. It isn’t clear how the NIT selection committee considers it, but the NIT is owned by the NCAA.

Deleted member 2897

According to Ken, GT probably makes NIT, but there's a chance we could be left out as well.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...et-certainty-for-tech/FpmE6ZsWxVKohfSIFDi73J/

Here's the part that should concern us:

In the past five years, the NIT selection committee has given at-large bids to only three power-conference teams with RPI’s higher than 90, and only one was higher than Tech’s 105. Perhaps more concerning, the NIT has not taken a team with 16 wins over that same span. In the record books, Tech is 17-15, but the NCAA selection committee does not recognize Tech’s win over Division II Tusculum. It isn’t clear how the NIT selection committee considers it, but the NIT is owned by the NCAA.

Yep. Look in the current RPIs from 50-70 and you'll find a dozen P5 teams right there that aren't going to the NCAA Tournament. You'll also find tons of those pesky 26-6 type mid-majors too. I honestly don't think we get in. A 105 RPI, won 2 of our last 7 games, and a 16-15 record (ignoring Division II Tusculum) - none of those things committees take into account work in our favor. Our team looks (justifiably) worn out and tired. The question is do we leap literally 30 other teams and get a bid because we beat 4 ranked teams (2 of them in the top 10 when we played them) and finished 8-10 in the single best basketball conference in the country? I don't think so, but I hope I'm wrong. If you look at those mid-major teams, the vast majority only played like 1 ranked team all year and many 0. And a great many of them played just a handful of teams even in the top 50.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we get left out of the NIT I'd be amazed...regarding the RPI number...how often has a team with an RPI above 90 beat four teams in the RPI top-25 (#4, #11, #23, #25)

But let's say for a minute that RPI was the only thing that mattered. OK...so there's 68 teams in the NCAA tournament and 32 teams in the NIT for a total of 100 teams. shouldn't anyone with an RPI < 100 get in to one of the two tournaments if RPI was so important?

Sure, I understand that conference champions of the smaller leagues can have RPI's well below 100, but it's just stupid that they can use RPI to make a decision, but then turn around and say someone with an RPI of +90 shouldn't go to the NIT

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we look at it that way, we was never considered for the big dance. If the bubble burst after the pitt lost, we wouldn't have been listed on the nit bracket before we even played.

I don't get your point. I was just clarifying what your link says.

We were simultaneously being projected as NIT 4 and NCAA bubble.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I was just saying if they had us in the nit before we played pitt. Then we really wasn't on the bubble. The lost to pitt didn't hurt us.

If we are in the last 4 out according to the bracketologists it would make sense that we would be projected in the NIT while being considered for the NCAAT before the ACCT

Deleted member 2897

This claims to be official, published at midnight this morning.
http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

We are listed as a 4 seed playing Bama as a 5 seed in the same bracket as Iowa and BYU.

How on God's Green Earth is Wake Forest listed on the bubble with an RPI of 39? (It was 31 before they lost to Virginia Tech, but they had to play on no rest, so its not a regular matchup.) With the extra 4, 68 teams make the NCAAs. RPI #39 should be a shoe-in. A 9-9 record in the ACC, big wins over teams like Louisville, 8 wins over top 100 teams. Finished hot. Man, sometimes I just don't get it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
How on God's Green Earth is Wake Forest listed on the bubble with an RPI of 39? (It was 31 before they lost to Virginia Tech, but they had to play on no rest, so its not a regular matchup.) With the extra 4, 68 teams make the NCAAs. RPI #39 should be a shoe-in. A 9-9 record in the ACC, big wins over teams like Louisville, 8 wins over top 100 teams. Finished hot. Man, sometimes I just don't get it.

And if you line them up blind with Syracuse it's not even close.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If I read it right, WF was listed as an NCAA bubble team and so not included in NIT bracket. Cuse was listed as NIT 1 seed and not in ncaa bubble.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually confused by the outright Wake > Syracuse argument.

Wake has 3 top 50 RPI wins. Syracuse has 6. A lot of projections and past committees have valued top wins. In this "it's not even close category", Syracuse's resume is stronger. Also Syracuse beat Wake H2H.

Wake's RPI is built on playing no sub-RPI 250 teams and not taking any bad losses. Their RPI is probably also aided by a loss to RPI #1 Villanova (by 20, fwiw).