Postseason Chances?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The reason our RPI is low is because of Nov and Dec.

We played 6 teams currently ranked 246 or worse, that is killing our RPI. You can game the RPI. In general if you don't play any or maybe just one team below about 225 your RPI is significantly higher. You get really punished for playing the worst teams. You can play and win and still go down a good 10 RPI spots just for playing them.

FWIW, I think this team needed those early patsies or it might not be where it is now, but it is a little anchor that we have to overcome.

CBSSports does a nice job with the RPI Breakdown for every div 1 team, Here is GT's - this is not exactly how things are layed out to the Committee but pretty close.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/teams/rpi/GATECH/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets

GT has plenty of good wins. it simply has to win enough games to get in. With only BC and Syracuse currently having RPI lower than 100, pretty much any win is going to help, and road wins in particular will help.
You really want to be in the mix - win one of the 2 road games this week.
I believe 5 more ACC wins gets GT in.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Palm has us up to an 8 seed this morning. Now we have to keep winning to be in, but we have the good wins - now we have to avoid the losses, and realistically we probably have to sweep BC and Syracuse.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea I guess it's important that we sweep Clemson, beat Wake, and at least split Syracuse. That way it's hard as hell comparing resumes to put any of those teams in over us even if they have higher RPI's. I think an ACC tourny win is huge for any of these bubble teams. The bad thing is we may get a bye which will hurt us (another ridiculous thing).

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
For all of those saying less than 9-9 in the ACC will do it, last year we were 8-10 in the ACC with a better OOC SOS and a win over #4 UVA and #19 ND. We also won our first ACC tourney game and lost to #4 UVA. Iirc we were close to the bubble but ended up in the NIT. With how we are playing now it's hard to take the gold colored glasses off, but we need at least 9-9 and a ACCT win or 10-8 to make it

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure that the ACC was perceived to be as strong last year as it is this year.

A month ago, people were calling this potentially the deepest and best league ever!

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
For all of those saying less than 9-9 in the ACC will do it, last year we were 8-10 in the ACC with a better OOC SOS and a win over #4 UVA and #19 ND. We also won our first ACC tourney game and lost to #4 UVA. Iirc we were close to the bubble but ended up in the NIT. With how we are playing now it's hard to take the gold colored glasses off, but we need at least 9-9 and a ACCT win or 10-8 to make it

Agree completely. I actually don't think 9-9 gets in unless we win a game in acc. To me 10-8 does it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We just need to keep focusing on ourselves.. That's.. We win more than we lose of the remaining games, and we are in the tournament.

Play our asses off in every game, keep being blue-collar and working together, and everything else will take care of itself.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
So if the season ended today, Lunardi believes that Wake Forest, who is 0-8 vs. the top 50 and 3-6 in the conference, is a legitimate tournament team? They legitimately do not have any quality wins to this point. They have OOC "quality losses" against Nova, Xavier, and Northwestern. I know I keep saying, but the RPI system has to be adjusted or completely done away with.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a great article on College Hoops. Has alot of discussion on the new College Basketball Bracket show.
Biggest things to understand. it is a one time thing since the committee gets together in February to run an early exercise on the bracket. it will only reveal the top 16 as that is all the committee does in its Feb meeting. and it is a one time show, not a weekly one as the committee does not get back together until March. There are also nice notes about GT in the hoop thoughts.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/30/ncaa-tournament-cbs-march-madness-preview-show

Also, GT as an 8 seed in the SI bracket

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...bracket-watch-villanova-kansas-baylor-gonzaga

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If we beat Clemson and Wake we will be 7-4 in league play. When is the last time we've been 3 games above .500?
It's been so long I can't remember. 03-04?

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
We just have to keep going one game at a time. Been said already, but taking 1 of these 2 road games keeps us on track. Then our most likely path is to beat BC, NCSU, Cuse, and Pitt. We'll see how it ends up, but we've put ourselves in a very manageable position

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This is a great article on College Hoops. Has alot of discussion on the new College Basketball Bracket show.
Biggest things to understand. it is a one time thing since the committee gets together in February to run an early exercise on the bracket. it will only reveal the top 16 as that is all the committee does in its Feb meeting. and it is a one time show, not a weekly one as the committee does not get back together until March. There are also nice notes about GT in the hoop thoughts.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/30/ncaa-tournament-cbs-march-madness-preview-show

Also, GT as an 8 seed in the SI bracket

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...bracket-watch-villanova-kansas-baylor-gonzaga
Jerry Palm at CBS has us as an 8 seed as well in the South region playing Seton Hall. Baylor is the top seed. That would be a great draw. We can beat SH and Baylor is not much different than FSU.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We just have to keep going one game at a time. Been said already, but taking 1 of these 2 road games keeps us on track. Then our most likely path is to beat BC, NCSU, Cuse, and Pitt. We'll see how it ends up, but we've put ourselves in a very manageable position
The VT game is one we really needed to pull out. 6-3 makes the margin for error a little better than 5-4. Either way I never thought we'd be having this discussion for atleast another year. The job JP has done is more impressive than what Hewitt did in 00-01 and that was by far his best coaching job.