Postseason Chances?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we had a terrible OOC schedule. Needed to beat Tennessee or Georgia and Ohio and we'd definitely be in at 9-9, it's a shame we weren't playing well at the time because those might hurt our chances

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Whatever happens for here on in, getting *this* far to even have the conversation is like a dream come true.

I still am pinching myself. If we manage to win Saturday (and I have not yet allowed myself to think we could) I will be delirious.

If we make the post-season, I might just faint......

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
9-9 in conference should do it. Almost a guarantee if we went 9-9 then picked up an ACC tournament win

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
ACC team's have made the tournament with sub .500 records before. I don't remember the last time, but I recall 7-9 getting teams in when there were only 16 games

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you see the data sheets that are produced for each team - there are NO dates on them. There is no way for the committee to tell whether a team finished strong or not - unless it comes from watching outside of committee meetings.

The item to keep you eye on is losses, not wins. not how many ACC wins they get (that's another stat that is not provided. There is no mention of conference record on the data sheets).
Only overall wins and losses.
Note that no team has gotten an at large bid with 14 losses in a number of years. Need to go into the ACC Tourney with no more than 12 losses to have any shot.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Actually, given where are today, it might take six more ACC wins to get in the tournament even though there isn't a metric for that. The RPI today has us with a 4-5 record against the top 50 with 5 top 50 games remaining. Of course those rankings could change, but those five games will be critical. Also, we have 2 games with teams in the 51-100 bracket.

It looks like we have to win at least one of those top 50 games, maybe two. But, more importantly, we need to sweep Cuse and beat BC. Those would be bad losses.

But consider this, we need to win four more ACC games to be eligible for the NIT!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
They may not list the conf record, but they do list D1 record overall and D1 record non-conf. I think even the NCAA Committee can figure out the Conf record although they might need a calculator, abacus or laptop.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If you see the data sheets that are produced for each team - there are NO dates on them. There is no way for the committee to tell whether a team finished strong or not - unless it comes from watching outside of committee meetings.

The item to keep you eye on is losses, not wins. not how many ACC wins they get (that's another stat that is not provided. There is no mention of conference record on the data sheets).
Only overall wins and losses.
Note that no team has gotten an at large bid with 14 losses in a number of years. Need to go into the ACC Tourney with no more than 12 losses to have any shot.

They may not have it on the sheet, but they watch basketball. Hey will remember how well we are playing in recent months even if it's not on the sheet.

Plus I don't care. We could legitimately win he next four games and coast in with a few late wins. I love this team...one of my favorite Tech basketball teams ever. So proud of these guys.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Remaining four at home are all winnable. BC, Cuse, State and Pitt. That gets us to nine wins in Conf. Think we need to win one on the road to get 10 and win first round ACC tourn. That would be a virtual lock for NCAA. If we got 8-10 or 9-9 and lose in first round, we are on the bubble. Bad losses hurt when you're on the bubble.

Barring a collapse, I think NIT is almost a lock now. Just a question of how we do the next nine games to crack NCAA.

For the record, I never ever ever thought I would type those words this year. Huge props to CJP, staff and the players for proving me very wrong

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Remaining four at home are all winnable. BC, Cuse, State and Pitt. That gets us to nine wins in Conf. Think we need to win one on the road to get 10 and win first round ACC tourn. That would be a virtual lock for NCAA. If we got 8-10 or 9-9 and lose in first round, we are on the bubble. Bad losses hurt when you're on the bubble.

Barring a collapse, I think NIT is almost a lock now. Just a question of how we do the next nine games to crack NCAA.

For the record, I never ever ever thought I would type those words this year. Huge props to CJP, staff and the players for proving me very wrong
I think this team would win the NIT Tournament however I think 18-19 wins gets them into the NCAA Tournament since the ACC will have a huge amount of teams in the NCAA Tournament.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I mean... Gonna be honest here, I'll be disappointed if we only make the NIT. It doesn't even feel crazy to say that

fs0my.gif