Postseason Chances?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Really good discussion of brackets and teams by Palm - compares to GT to IND.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-one-day-as-no-1-seed-kansas-the-beneficiary/

Georgia Tech has a couple of home run wins over FSU and UNC, a couple of questionable losses at home to Georgia and Ohio, and a high number of games against some of the lowest-rated teams in D-I. The difference is that the Yellow Jackets are just 12-8 overall, which is the bare minimum record in terms of games above .500 to have a chance to get into the bracket. They are just 6-8 against the RPI top 200. So, while those big wins have pushed Georgia Tech into the field for now, its margin for error is very small.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I would LOVE to see us beat the Twerps. F**k them. They want out of the ACC for the B!G Ten / 12 / 16 (whatever) TV money? Good riddance. The only think better than not having their trailer park trash fans around is beating their ***

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Well, I'll say this, he had been a pretty decent X's/O's guy at NEV. However, he can't recruit his way through a wet tissue. 1-ply!

He belongs in a lesser league where the talent differential is low enough that his poor recruiting doesn't hinder him as much. Sounds like a coach I used to know. *cough* BG *cough*
You know who is calling for Mark Fox to be fired:LOL::ROFLMAO:

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Can I just point out one thing with all the talk about going .500 or better in conference. Do folks realize that the last time we went .500 in conference was '06-'07 and the last time we were over .500 was '03-'04 (barely breaking .500 at 9-7). Before that, you have to go back to '95-'96 to have a winning conference record at 13-3.

Hewitt got his first team to 8-8 in '00-'01, and I thought it was an amazing coaching job. If Pastner is able to do it with this team, it would be nothing short of miraculous!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can I just point out one thing with all the talk about going .500 or better in conference. Do folks realize that the last time we went .500 in conference was '06-'07 and the last time we were over .500 was '03-'04 (barely breaking .500 at 9-7). Before that, you have to go back to '95-'96 to have a winning conference record at 13-3.

Hewitt got his first team to 8-8 in '00-'01, and I thought it was an amazing coaching job. If Pastner is able to do it with this team, it would be nothing short of miraculous!

I agree 100%. I think Hewitt's first season is one of his 2 best coaching jobs at GT (along with the NC Game year). Great job of taking a modestly talented team of motley parts and getting them to come together into a whole.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Getting to 500 this year means 5 more conf wins. We do that with BC, Pitt (both at home), and splitting Syr and ND, plus one more. It doesn't seem nearly as far-fetched to me today as it would have last week.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is a lot of talk this year about our offensive struggles, yet we seem to have improved a lot since the beginning of ACC play. One thing that has been consistent and was mentioned last night by the FSU players. Every shot is vigorously contested by our D. That has been our strength of late. The result is the chart below. The first column is each team's season FG%. The second is their FG% against us.

UNC 47.5 33.3
Duke 48.1 55.7
UL 44.9 38.3
Clem 45.0 36.7
NCSU 48.1 40.6
VT 48.7 40.0
UVA 49.6 45.8
FSU 48.6 28.2

Maybe we just caught seven potential NCAAT teams on off nights. But it could be the key our surprising season is that we defend our basket pretty well. Now, it is also true that Duke, UL, and NCSU lit up the scoreboard from beyond the arc. We have four games with ND and Cuse. They are #2 and #3 in the ACC in 3P%.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
the last time we went .500 in conference was '06-'07 and the last time we were over .500 was '03-'04 (barely breaking .500 at 9-7). Before that, you have to go back to '95-'96 to have a winning conference record at 13-3.

I've been pointing this out since the end of the Hewitt era. People forget that for 20 years, we've had one winning record in the ACC. One. If CJP gets to .500 he will tie for the second best conference record in the last two decades. Think he deserves a statue out front if he does that with this squad and the conference as loaded as it is this year!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Getting to 500 this year means 5 more conf wins. We do that with BC, Pitt (both at home), and splitting Syr and ND, plus one more. It doesn't seem nearly as far-fetched to me today as it would have last week.
The VT game would've been a huge W. Those are the kind of games we will have to pull out on the road the rest of the way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Interesting data as it stands on 1/27/2017

AJC Link

Compare Tech with Wake Forest, which is 12-8 overall, same as Tech, and Georgia, which is 12-8 and beat Tech at home.