Postseason Chances?

slugboy

Staff member
Good points here. Another thing working in favor of GT right now is the perceived strength of the ACC. Many have called this the strongest/deepest league they've seen in a while; I personally think that it's deep but lacks that elite team or two, which is kind of a microcosm of the NCAA this year. I have seen some say they would take a 10th or even 11th team out of the ACC over a 4th team in the SEC, which tells you a lot about both conferences.

If you want to map out a road to 6 more wins to get us in the discussion Red mentioned, here are my thoughts.

ND - Fence L
@Clem - Fence L
@Wake - Fence W
BC - W
@Miami - Fence L
Cuse - Fence W
NCSU - Fence W
@ND - L
Pitt - Fence W
@Cuse - Fence L

We'd need a couple of the "Fence" games to go our way to push to the 6 (most likely and helpful candidate would be this Saturday vs. ND).

Bottom line is the fact that we're even talking about a tourney team at this point is pretty amazing. Let's enjoy the ride and keep things in perspective as we move down the stretch.
In RPI/KenPom/Sagarin we're about even with Syracuse/Pitt/NCST, even with the "weak" early season schedule. If you rely on those ratings, we shouldn't be in the building with Clemson, Notre Dame, Wake, FSU, etc., but we're playing great.
I think we've got great odds of knocking off Syracuse twice, Pitt once, NCState again, and BC for 5 wins. Dumb luck probably loses us one or two of those. Then, we've got ND x 2, Wake, Clemson, and Miami. NIT looks possible, with a little luck. Getting to the NCAAs would take a bunch of luck.
We're #74 in RPI now. We were nowhere to start the ACC season

KenPom (them) -- KenPom (Us).
ND - +20.78 +8.98
@Clem - +17.19 +8.98
@Wake - +16.52 +8.98
BC - +1.29 +8.98
@Miami - +14.97 +8.98
Cuse - +11.96 +8.98
NCSU - +9.36 +8.98
@ND - +20.78 +8.98
Pitt - +8.70 +8.98
@Cuse - +11.96 +8.98

UNC is +27.98, UVA is +30.32, and VT is +14.19, and FSU is +21.65. So, we've already beaten teams better than any left on our schedule, and I'd say the last three games were really good games.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this really a young team? 3 seniors, a junior, and one dynamic freshman is not a young starting five. Team has definitely grown throughout the season. Very pleasant surprise. I rate as NIT probable. NCAA seems like a real long shout without 20 wins and plus .500 in conference.
Maybe inexperienced is a better word then. According to ESPN, they have the most inexperienced team in the country. This year is the first Lammers has really played much. Heyward rarely played recently. Most people would consider this a young (again, "inexperienced" is probably the better word) team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, seems we have a legit shot.

Hate we lost to that crappy UGA team. Talk about heading in opposite directions.
Honestly, it's crazy how our guys turned it on, once ACC play began. Looked pretty underwhelming before hand, besides the win at VCU. Barely squeaked by literally, the worse team in the nation, 3 days before we beat UNC.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
According to CJP, that is the third good game on a row. He thought we played very well against VT and UVA.
I heard him say that on the post game. But 2 were losses. My question, not clear I realize now,
is can they knock off two highly ranked teams in a row, #6 and #14?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Is this really a young team? 3 seniors, a junior, and one dynamic freshman is not a young starting five. Team has definitely grown throughout the season. Very pleasant surprise. I rate as NIT probable. NCAA seems like a real long shout without 20 wins and plus .500 in conference.

It's a matter of experience not age. We are (were) the least experienced team minutes wise in D1 coming into the season

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
How is Pitt still in there? They are 1-6 in the conference, and have not been playing well at all.
The article was posted on 1/16, so Pitt was 12-6 (1-4) at the time. I'm sure they'll be out of it when he posts his next one. Also, he posted it a day after we beat UVA, so we were 11-6 (3-2) at that time. I think the FSU overshadows the losses to UVA and VT, so we would probably still be an 11 if not a 10.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Palm has been the most bullish for a week or more. Had been hanging in his last few out on occasion. Gt has the record against the top 50 that is NCAA quality.

The key is can gt win enough games ( or keep from losing too much) where our overall record keeps us out

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
The article was posted on 1/16, so Pitt was 12-6 (1-4) at the time. I'm sure they'll be out of it when he posts his next one. Also, he posted it a day after we beat UVA, so we were 11-6 (3-2) at that time. I think the FSU overshadows the losses to UVA and VT, so we would probably still be an 11 if not a 10.
WOW! Does that mean he had us at an 11-seed before last night?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If we make the NIT again I'm hoping for a repeat of playing at George Washington.

Why? because I live right near their campus thats why.... I'd like to see the game.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Man, seems we have a legit shot.

Hate we lost to that crappy UGA team. Talk about heading in opposite directions. They stink out loud. So much so that Fox couldn't last even 1 half in their game last night.

https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/mark-fox-becomes-livid-gets-ejected-georgias-game

:ROFLMAO: Dude's had a rough stretch. His rear's gotta be sizzlin'. This was supposed to be one of his most talented teams.

Mark Fox is ready for the NBA with the fake tough guy "hold me back" mentality

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Mark Fox couldn't coach a High School team. UGAG does a lousy job of picking head basketball coaches.

Well, I'll say this, he had been a pretty decent X's/O's guy at NEV. However, he can't recruit his way through a wet tissue. 1-ply!

He belongs in a lesser league where the talent differential is low enough that his poor recruiting doesn't hinder him as much. Sounds like a coach I used to know. *cough* BG *cough*