Postgame: ND 31-GT 13

CubeE

Georgia Tech Fan
Dude. What? How can you possibly say this was disrespectful of your time and money. The team played hard and never quit even though our starting QB and MLB were out. Stayed in the game for 3.5 quarters against a heavily favored and more talented opponent. Do you really think losing a tough game is disrespectful of your time? This was not even close to the same as a Collins era 55-0 or 73-7 loss.
I paid a lot of money for two tickets to watch the 73-7 game, so I appreciate not being blown out like that again, but this game wasn’t great. I want to support the team but for the fans that are out of state, buying flights + hotels + tickets is not cheap. I don’t mind losing (not saying we need to win every game) but at no point after the first quarter did we threaten. It felt like I was watching a team who didn’t care about winning, just didn’t want to get anyone else hurt. It is not wrong to be mad at that type of showing

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Out coached. Again Buster Faulkner lost it for us. Jamal got 8 carries. All day. 8. Let that sink in and then tell me how we didn’t get out coached. Game plan was ****. We threw away the playbook and tried something completely different than GT football.
Jamal got hurt. That limited his carries. I hope he's okay moving forward.

Their D was VERY stout against the run. We were averaging 1.5 yds/carry shortly after halftime. We needed to hit something deep to keep the D back, but didn't have time/pocket to do that.

This loss sucks. We missed King and Efford a lot - here's to a speedy recovery for both of them.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Zach did all that could reasonably be asked of him. Sometimes you just play a better D and today was that day. Still, Zach was 20/38 for 269 yards. Today was not on him.
He just didn’t play well. But the O line didn’t either. Nor the the running backs. Everyone played poorly. So we got our butts kicked…in what was supposed to be a marquis game for us…

I know our QB and MLB were out. But that’s a bad look for us. Many will argue, but it sure didn’t feel like we came with the energy required to compete in this game.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
GT fans complaining about ND running the fakes are embarrassing themselves. ND is thinking about potential obstacles that aren’t even on our program’s radar. It’s literally like a 12 year old complaining about someone’s driving. How do you even know any better? We’re GT. We don’t know what it’s like to have to focus on playoff selection optics.

Everything between Freeman and Key was respectful after the game. Freeman did most of the talking. It’s a non-issue. But I hope GT and Key get to make those kind of decisions in the future.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I paid a lot of money for two tickets to watch the 73-7 game, so I appreciate not being blown out like that again, but this game wasn’t great. I want to support the team but for the fans that are out of state, buying flights + hotels + tickets is not cheap. I don’t mind losing (not saying we need to win every game) but at no point after the first quarter did we threaten. It felt like I was watching a team who didn’t care about winning, just didn’t want to get anyone else hurt. It is not wrong to be mad at that type of showing
I don’t think you watched the same game then. Not executing in no way equates to not caring about winning. You think you care about winning more than the players on the field? I promise you that you don’t.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
GT fans complaining about ND running the fakes are embarrassing themselves. ND is thinking about potential obstacles that aren’t even on our program’s radar. It’s literally like a 12 year old complaining about someone’s driving. How do you even know any better? We’re GT. We don’t know what it’s like to have to focus on playoff selection optics.

Everything between Freeman and Key was respectful after the game. Freeman did most of the talking. It’s a non-issue. But I hope GT and Key get to make those kind of decisions in the future.

you can have that opinion. were I on the field, I would've been flagged

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Appreciate and respect the investment of time and $ involved.
I accept that we busted our asses and mostly did the best we could with what we have.

Jimmies and Joes do make a difference. ND had more talent and depth that wore us down.

slugboy

Staff member
Question for those who watched on TV (ESPN). ...

Does ND have a path to make the 12-team playoff?

My god... the whole broadcast was a "strongly worded letter" to whoever (the playoff committee?) would listen for the ND case on making playoffs.
Yeah, they win out and they’re probably in

CubeE

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t think you watched the same game then. Not executing in no way equates to not caring about winning. You think you care about winning more than the players on the field? I promise you that you don’t.
We have this same conversation every year, and I do not mean to claim the players don’t care, I am sure they do. But if we are trying to drum up support, to get alumni and fans to games, to gather support to get to the “top” of cfb, this **** is not it. This was an embarrassing game. I totally loved spending hundreds of dollars to be chirped all game. That will totally bring me back to Atlanta.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. I said the same thing right before kickoff. But the units that were left played pretty poorly. It’s just hard to take too many positives away from this one. Easily the worst game played this year.
I don't think you're taking into proper account the team on the other side of the ball. It's the best team we've played all year. That was a probable playoff team.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There is another thread complaining about keeping Pyron in and going for 2 to get within two scores. Sometimes people complain no matter what you do. In this case some people are complaining that we stopped trying to protect the players, while at the same time some are complaining that we didn't just give up when there was still a small chance to win.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
No one guaranteed anything. But I keep hearing about how important it is for GT fans to show out, so I felt it was important for me to contribute and come to this game. I want to be part of the answer, not the problem, but this is not the way to do it. Games like this won’t deter me from coming back, but it will for a lot of people. This was disrespectful to people’s time and money
Anyone who felt "disrespected" by the game and its result either do not understand sports or need to simply focus their time on fishing.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you're taking into proper account the team on the other side of the ball. It's the best team we've played all year. That was a probable playoff team.
When people are referring to the worst game played this year, they’re likely referring to the countless unforced errors. ND didn’t force 12 men on the field. They didn’t force line drive punts. They didn’t force high FG snaps. They didn’t force terrible use of timeouts. Comments about how good ND is are true, but they’re irrelevant to the point. We’re talking what GT could have controlled. Not us getting pushed around - we can’t control their lineman being better than ours.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When people are referring to the worst game played this year, they’re likely referring to the countless unforced errors. ND didn’t force 12 men on the field. They didn’t force line drive punts. They didn’t force high FG snaps. They didn’t force terrible use of timeouts. Comments about how good ND is are true, but they’re irrelevant to the point. We’re talking what GT could have controlled. Not us getting pushed around - we can’t control their lineman being better than ours.
Are we allowed to say the gt coaches are also not as talented as nd s coaches and they got pushed around or do we only criticize the players?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
ND is a better team than GT in all three phases of the Game. That was known before the game. Take out our starting QB (20 starts) and replace him with a guy with 2 starts two years ago and you get an offense that was no match for the ND defense.

Our Defense is what it is, a slightly below average P4 defense. Out DL simply can't generate a pass rush. That makes it really hard for the DBs and LBs to cover receivers. Only an infusion of talent will fix that.