Postgame: ND 31-GT 13

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Question for those who watched on TV (ESPN). ...

Does ND have a path to make the 12-team playoff?

My god... the whole broadcast was a "strongly worded letter" to whoever (the playoff committee?) would listen for the ND case on making playoffs.
Well as the game was not in doubt from the 2nd quarter it was a reasonable point to discuss. Louis Reddick (the color commentator) was very good about praising GT. Probably more praise than we deserved.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I am not trying to be an *** but how would you feel if you can only make it to one game a year because of how expensive it has become and that was what you saw?
Understand the frustration, yes it sucks

Maybe the GSU game would have been a better choice if you wanted a a greater chance to see a victory 😉( just picking, not trying to rile you up)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It should be obvious to everyone that we were physically outmatched but our players played their hearts out the whole game. I was at the 2021 game and the progress we have made in 2-1/2 years under Brent Key is outstanding. We are not among the elite teams in the country yet but there is no reason to feel bad about tonight's loss or to blame our players and coaches. We have a damn good chance of winning 2 out of the next 3.
We have improved a lot in Key's time as HC. WE have a ways to go to compete with the top teams as today showed. Miami will be a real problem as their offense is very very good. VT is better than most people think. A healthy King would make a real difference. If he can't go, Pyron will have gained a lot of valuable experience today. Getting Bowl eligible is what I hope for going forward. That is progress.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
The coaches are 100% not above criticism here. 12 players on the field and mismanaging timeouts are coaching issues.
Agreed. This ND team is solid, but not being able to put a kick past the LOS in a game where points are at a premium is an issue.

Tackling is a major issue on defense, though I believe the Defense is getting better on the whole.

Super disappointed in our rushing attack this year, especially compared to where we seemed to be at the end of last year.

Going to try and reserve full thoughts for another day. It is tough to see year over year progress while still in-season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When people are referring to the worst game played this year, they’re likely referring to the countless unforced errors. ND didn’t force 12 men on the field. They didn’t force line drive punts. They didn’t force high FG snaps. They didn’t force terrible use of timeouts. Comments about how good ND is are true, but they’re irrelevant to the point. We’re talking what GT could have controlled. Not us getting pushed around - we can’t control their lineman being better than ours.
Well, you've successfully cherry picked the worst moments. We had some good ones, too, and we hung in with #12 until the fourth quarter.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe you expect a win or a great game just because you bought a ticket. Stick with concerts or a ballet or maybe a broadway show.

I think it’s reasonable to think our coaches would have our team prepared. Whatever the hell we jogged out at STs does not deserve the price of a ticket and it’s been that bad pretty much all year. You can’t look at that performance of that group and simply say “they were better” and that group pissing away 6 points is precisely the reason the game got out of hand. This has been a problem for multiple weeks. That is inexcusable.

You want to say that offense with a backup QB just got beat? I would like to think our genius OC could find a way to get our star running back more than 8 touches with a backup QB. Again, that’s on us. There were much more problems than simply “we got beat by a better team”.

Key was furious with the defensive tackling. What happened there? He was so upset about it he must have believed it was more of our problem and less of a “they were simply better” problem. In the second half the defensive woes did seem to simply be “they were better”, but that doesn’t excuse the first half.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For those needing a rushing breakdown

Seems obvious that "run the ball" wasn't getting it done.

1000006559.png

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Wer are improving.
I think it’s reasonable to think our coaches would have our team prepared. Whatever the hell we jogged out at STs does not deserve the price of a ticket and it’s been that bad pretty much all year. You can’t look at that performance of that group and simply say “they were better” and that group pissing away 6 points is precisely the reason the game got out of hand. This has been a problem for multiple weeks.
Yea, there is no justification for how bad our Special Teams are and basically have been most of the year. I think we are now 6-12 on FG attempts. That is bad HS level play. Falling for two fake kicks by ND, that is absurd at best.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Question for those who watched on TV (ESPN). ...

Does ND have a path to make the 12-team playoff?

My god... the whole broadcast was a "strongly worded letter" to whoever (the playoff committee?) would listen for the ND case on making playoffs.
Well, if they win the Tech game their chances of getting in was 60+% and if they lost they could just about forget it. Looks like they are in because they have a soft schedule I think the rest of the way. They look like expanded playoff caliber to me but I don't watch the factories enough to know. They do have games with FSU, Navy, Virginia, Army, and Southern California left to play. Win all of them, which the Irish should be able to do then they are in the playoffs. Lose any of them and they are likely out. That loss to Northern Illinois may loom large.

Last edited:

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The only chance to beat Miami is to outscore them. Their offense is terrific. But their defense has avg. over 40 points against over the last 3 games
Don’t see us beating Miami. Their offense will steam roll our D and our offense is not good enough or consistent enough to keep pace with them.