#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sympathy and empathy are not at all the same thing.

Never said they were. Empathy works in this situation. I've made bad decisions that cost my teammates. I can empathize with Gibson. I can also sympathize with him. It's pedantry to pick on a word choice instead of dealing with the fact that we're trashing a young man because we didn't like the choice he made. It's not like it was a premeditated decision. He was pressured and made a bad choice. I'm sure, if we're being honest, we can all empathize with that.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Never said they were. Empathy works in this situation. I've made bad decisions that cost my teammates. I can empathize with Gibson. I can also sympathize with him. It's pedantry to pick on a word choice instead of dealing with the fact that we're trashing a young man because we didn't like the choice he made. It's not like it was a premeditated decision. He was pressured and made a bad choice. I'm sure, if we're being honest, we can all empathize with that.
Empathy, not everyone is capable of it

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
And yet you are fixated on this and not on the actual point I made.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Look what Gibson did in the last drive.
During my pee wee ol coaching career - rule 1 everyone get one defender. If 2 of u end up on same guy then destroy him.
In pee wee we didn't pass block a lot and I know this is way above pee wee but why did Gibson make 4 guys block 1 guy? Just kidding - really a seldom used "double double team take down blocking technique on both of the uva dt.

Silly Gibson. He should have known he only has 2.5 seconds. The de beat the lt and the lb beat the #2 te as they arrived at the qb. Maybe it was a qb sneak.

Attachments

• double double team.jpg
    double double team.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, you can mind read the entire team to know they are over it and mind read me to know I am not. Your powers are amazing.

I don't have to. I talked to a former players dad today. His son told him that the team is a lot tighter than we think and pretty understanding about it. They're as upset with him as they are with themselves. They have a team mentality. They aren't looking to tar and feather Gibson out of the program.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't have to. I talked to a former players dad today. His son told him that the team is a lot tighter than we think and pretty understanding about it. They're as upset with him as they are with themselves. They have a team mentality. They aren't looking to tar and feather Gibson out of the program.
And I work with a father of one of the starters.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And I work with a father of one of the starters.

Then you should know that the players aren't being too hard on Gibson. As far as this conversation goes, I am done with it. I have stated my piece and will stand by it. If you and others continue to castigate this young man, that's on you, but keep it civil. We have rules in place about how we deal with student athletes on these boards. This board will not be a place where people can come in and denigrate our athletes. Period. Discuss their mistakes, but the name calling will end now.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Then you should know that the players aren't being too hard on Gibson. As far as this conversation goes, I am done with it. I have stated my piece and will stand by it. If you and others continue to castigate this young man, that's on you, but keep it civil. We have rules in place about how we deal with student athletes on these boards. This board will not be a place where people can come in and denigrate our athletes. Period. Discuss their mistakes, but the name calling will end now.
What name did I call him?

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I did a double take. Had to make sure this was a current post.
We used to blame A Back motion for doing this when we were failing to block people too...

I think it may be more a function of just getting pushed around up front. Guys are standing in our backfield because we're slow off the ball and missing assignments, or just getting run over. But it sure looks like they are getting an unfair advantage somehow...
Yeah I remember that too, but CPJ would get smart and have the A-back stop his motion beside the B-back to add a wrinkle against the defense. He could still run whatever play was called, just out of that modified motion formation. With the way plays are designed now in our offense, I doubt we could do something similar to throw off the defense, but would love to see them draw the defense offsides a few times a game like you said to keep them honest.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Nah that's not accurate. I failed a number of tests at GT where I had studied for hours and I just didn't get the material. I didn't fail many across all my years as a student and for sure a couple of them were totally because I didn't study. My point is simply that the results don't always tell you the path that got a person there. Not saying you're wrong, just that you MAY not be right.

I had a professor at Tech that told me that I showed a poor effort in preparing for an exam that I bombed. I was pretty upset by this because I had spent hours and hours studying , but I clearly didn't understand the material. He looked me in the eye and told me that I needed to grow up - the end results are all that matter. The effort and time spent to prepare don't matter to anyone if you're floundering and spinning your wheels. It was tough love that I needed at time.

I ended up barely getting a C in that class, but I'm more proud of that C than I am of any grade I ever earned...

So yeah, I agree 100%. Sometimes we fail because we didn't try hard, sometimes we fail despite trying hard. Failure doesn't always mean a lack of effort. Usually yes, but it can also show a poor understanding of how to get it done. In the case of our team, that would mean poor coaching and/or schemes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had a professor at Tech that told me that I showed a poor effort in preparing for an exam that I bombed. I was pretty upset by this because I had spent hours and hours studying , but I clearly didn't understand the material. He looked me in the eye and told me that I needed to grow up - the end results are all that matter. The effort and time spent to prepare don't matter to anyone if you're floundering and spinning your wheels. It was tough love that I needed at time.

I ended up barely getting a C in that class, but I'm more proud of that C than I am of any grade I ever earned...

So yeah, I agree 100%. Sometimes we fail because we didn't try hard, sometimes we fail despite trying hard. Failure doesn't always mean a lack of effort. Usually yes, but it can also show a poor understanding of how to get it done. In the case of our team, that would mean poor coaching and/or schemes.
In the mid 60's a math prof named Fulton was a hard *** that gave lots of FFFs. Known as Steamboat Fulton. If u fell behind u were screwed. 2 very smart and driven dorm buddies from south ga had his class. I tutored them because i had calc in high school math club. All i did was read in clear words what the symbols meant.
They both got Bs and were very proud. One became nuclear sub commander and other owned gasoline refineries.

These Student athletes are learning so many life lessons.

I keep up w Wesley Wells who was perfect in fgs when Cpj had Brad Stewart hold for him. He is working in a small commercial real estate investment firm. Got promoted, helping formulate and present deals. His team just closed a good deal. Someday he maybe be a business owner.

These players are the guys in the ring.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
In the mid 60's a math prof named Fulton was a hard *** that gave lots of FFFs. Known as Steamboat Fulton. If u fell behind u were screwed. 2 very smart and driven dorm buddies from south ga had his class. I tutored them because i had calc in high school math club. All i did was read in clear words what the symbols meant.
They both got Bs and were very proud. One became nuclear sub commander and other owned gasoline refineries.

I keep up w Wesley Wells who was perfect in fgs when Cpj had Brad Stewart hold for him. He is working in a small commercial real estate investment firm. Got promoted, helping formulate and present deals. His team just closed a good deal. Someday he maybe be a business owner.

Regarding Wesley Wells, I've always wondered what went so wrong from one season to the next. Do you have any insight into that?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Wesley Wells, I've always wondered what went so wrong from one season to the next. Do you have any insight into that?
The new head coach wanted a kicker w more range and conducted practice as weekly competition. When Brad Stewart was Ws holder, his kicks were straight as arrow w high trajectory. He was solid from 40 on in and won a game w longer fg.

Instead of working w W to get new holder and slowly add range, the new coach went w wide open competition to get long range fg. He git neither .

Sadly for us Wesley dropped gt football w bitter taste. But he graduated w honors and moved on. We see family at walk up. They love all things gt which don't include the former coach. They did not gripe about him until this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Was that Robert Fulton? If so, he was my first cousin.