#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A G5 qb showed he wasn’t ready for the P5 stage.
I am not sure I would play him if he were on my G5 team but that's just me. Understanding the usual poor performance by the line but he missed wide open receivers and took sacks rather than throw the ball. That said, it was all on the offense. We even had a couple of dropped passes. As for UVA, Armstrong was the difference but even he cannot catch the ball for them. Everyone of their experienced receivers back from last year dropped a pass and there was one dropped in the end zone. Any ACC teams watching either of these two teams must be salivating in anticipation of a beatdown.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My eyes are bleeding from watching that game. This sealed the deal for This staff and made batts decision very easy. The rest of the season is going to be seeing who stays on the team or not.

Defense played their heart out and I give them all the respect in the world. I wish we had this defensive effort when Paul was here, we would have won a lot of games.

Sims is an ok QB at best, but with that said, what’s behind him is…searching for a word to describe it…well you know why he is still starting. My question is if Pyron can’t beat out Gibson…then what does that say?

Will be an entirely different team/look next year with a new coach with new schemes and with players transferring in and out. I don’t expect to be good next year with all new changes, but hopefully 2024 is our year!
"...if Pyron can't beat out Gibson...then what does that say?" It says that he better not count on being drafted and that his future may be in Division III ball.

slugboy

Staff member
Do I really want to watch this??
She did a good job, but
Homer Today GIF

It's a lot easier than sitting through the full press conferences.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
"...if Pyron can't beat out Gibson...then what does that say?" It says that he better not count on being drafted and that his future may be in Division III ball.
Hopefully it says that the he can be something good long term and we would like for him to have two more years after sims is gone instead of one. True frosh, right? Burning eligibility this year doesn’t make much sense and if key/ long did that, we probably would not look back favorably on them for it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That was a brutal game to watch. UVA is a terrible team. Our D played well, but a lot of the low production was due to UVA's insanely inept offense and comical kicker. The offense with Sims was pedestrian, but with Gibson it was painful. 3 of his first 16 passes. Seriously?

The next five games could be tough. VPI is one we could legitimately win. The other four would be upsets of moderate to massive scale.
What I do not understand is that three of their top receivers: Thompson, Wicks, and Kemp were back from last year and all of them were dropping passes last night. Armstrong passed for well over 4,000 yards last year but that offense sputtered all night long with dropped third down passes, penalties, etc. Armstrong is now the career leader in touchdown passes at UVA but he looked like he was about to tear his hair out at times last night. I guess their offensive line is just really bad while last year they had a veteran front. They looked a whole lot better last year under Bronco than they do this year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I do not understand is that three of their top receivers: Thompson, Wicks, and Kemp were back from last year and all of them were dropping passes last night. Armstrong passed for well over 4,000 yards last year but that offense sputtered all night long with dropped third down passes, penalties, etc. Armstrong is now the career leader in touchdown passes at UVA but he looked like he was about to tear his hair out at times last night. I guess their offensive line is just really bad while last year they had a veteran front. They looked a whole lot better last year under Bronco than they do this year.
I think it is a couple of things.
First their OL is really bad - they lost all 5 starters from last year.

Second, their WR's are not playing nearly as well as last year - a ton of drops (I think they said something like 39 coming into this game - that is over 6 per game)

Third, they are running a different offense this year and I think Armstrong is less comfortable with it.
FWIW, their OC from last year is now at Syracuse. Syracuse QB Shrader this year is 106-152 for 1,434 yds, 12 TD, 3 INT in 6 games. He also has 300 yds rushing on 78 rushes. Last season Shrader was 123-234, 1,445 yds, 9 TD, 4 INT in 12 games. He did rush for 781 yds last season in 12 games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully it says that the he can be something good long term and we would like for him to have two more years after sims is gone instead of one. True frosh, right? Burning eligibility this year doesn’t make much sense and if key/ long did that, we probably would not look back favorably on them for it.
Pyron can play in 4 games without burning his red shirt. We have 5 left. Get him some minutes. Who knows what the roster will be next year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Second, their WR's are not playing nearly as well as last year - a ton of drops (I think they said something like 39 coming into this game - that is over 6 per game)

Third, they are running a different offense this year and I think Armstrong is less comfortable with it.
FWIW, their OC from last year is now at Syracuse. Syracuse QB Shrader this year is 106-152 for 1,434 yds, 12 TD, 3 INT in 6 games. He also has 300 yds rushing on 78 rushes. Last season Shrader was 123-234, 1,445 yds, 9 TD, 4 INT in 12 games. He did rush for 781 yds last season in 12 games.

There were also some blatantly bad throws from Armstrong last night as well. Throws that last year he made.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

A good OC can make a huge difference can't they?

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can’t quite understand why our OC doesn’t modify our passing game to something that can actually have a prayer to work with such a bad OL. 3 second drops, short quick passes- pump & dump, West Coast offense style

Here's why: When they know you can't protect, the defense plays tight coverage at the LOS. That takes away your short throws 'cause there is no cushion to throw in front of. By the time your receivers get 20 yards downfield to get open, the QB is on the ground. This is why we tried to throw long several times - IF you can block, you're gonna have someone open 30-40 yards downfield. We had that several times and either got interfered with or missed the throw.

When you can't block, nothing works.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just going to share what I know and have been told.
Sims situation: Sims played hurt, was thought to be able to play through it but would have some limitations such as running the ball. Sims tried to come back into the game on his own, trainer walked up to him and told him he was done for the night, sims slammed his helmet when he was told he was done. Sims tried coming back in again after that but the staff took his helmet and pads away.
Gibson: He can’t run this offense, he’s a passing QB that’s a negative runner which in result gives you what you saw tonight. He can not run the spread option at all. Gibson was another bad evaluation by Collins, you could clearly see he wasn’t a spread offense QB.
Taisun Phommachanh: He sucks. He was once again another bad evaluation by Collins. I’ve seen him in practice (pre Collins firing) and he’s just straight up bad. He was the 2nd horrible evaluation at QB by Collins in 1 recruiting class which you can’t afford at all. I do know he had a pretty serious injury while at Clemson and hasn’t played for a while.
Zach Pyron: Staff wants to maintain his redshirt and knows he can’t be thrown into the fire with our OL situation. He is now QB3.
QB depth chart from what I’ve been told:
Sims
Gibson
Pyron
Phommachanh
There’s so many things I could say about the QB room and how it’s gone down over the years.
Thank you it makes me feel better knowing that Jeff wants the ball even when it is in his best interests to sit. Disappointing about Taisun. Another reason to be wary of 4 and 5 stars in the portal that have not played much I suppose. IIWII

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Our offensive coordinator should resign after last night, he did NOTHING to help Gibson out. No quick screens, no quick slants, nothing creative to try to open up the offense. Gibson didn’t do much to help himself but Chip ultimately called the worst game I’ve ever seen. He never adjusted until the last series and then it was too late. I’m just so ready to clean house after season and move on!
Disagree. The screen we missed on was a potential TD. We missed open guys downfield multiple times, whether through bad throws or interference. We had WR's dropping critical passes. The plays were there, we didn't make them. That ain't on the playcalling.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Makes sense but as it is now Jeff is the only one in that room that seems to know what is going on. This is inexcusable but not surprising. GT2019 is probably right. Two bad quarterback evaluations in one year has left this team in a pickle.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There were also some blatantly bad throws from Armstrong last night as well. Throws that last year he made.
Last year, it seems they had a big, I mean huge, tight end that was a security blanket of sorts for Armstrong. I don't think they have him this year. The changing of coordinators and offense has clearly frustrated Armstrong. Imagine over 4,000 passing yards in a year. That is really something.