Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's staggering how our highly educated fanbase fails to master basic finance, a level of math many people master when they were 12. With a decent team, we're bringing in $12-15M more per season just in ticket sales. It's really not that difficult a concept, but I guess it's a lot easier to use the age old excuse of we can't afford it.
Glad it all worked out for Colorado, but none of this was guaranteed to work that way here and at $200 million in the hole it would have been an existential gamble. No, we couldn't afford it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hindsight is always 20/20. At the 50,000-foot level, I don't have a problem with the call. Key's stated game plan on offense was to be aggressive. This high-risk/high-reward approach was likely the only realistic path to winning the game.
Same for the failed fake punt, where he also was trying to control the ball and keep the opponent's offense off the field. This strategy was mostly successful. I think Key recognizes that our defense is not going to be of much help in winning games this year, although he's not likely to admit that in public.

On defense, I believe that many of our issues (poor tackling/arm tackling/bad angles, etc.) are related to lack of speed. This weakness is more apparent against teams that have speedy offenses and running QBs. It is unlikely to be corrected easily through coaching. We are going to need to recruit better and hit the portal hard. We had a couple of playmakers last year that were able to mask some of our weaknesses in this regard. I'm not saying we should give Thacker a pass by any means, but he doesn't have the ingredients for a defense to match our offense this year.

Looking ahead, I haven't seen anything from a Sam Hartman-less Wake Forest that should intimidate us. Unless Old Dominion is a lot better than I thought. They will score some points but so should we.
The fake punt would have worked had the refs called a screamingly obvious defensive hold on the intended receiver.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I wish I was as confident as many of you that we beat Wake. They are a good team and very well coached
We got this

Dj Khaled Win GIF by QuickBooks

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thacker is a dead man walking. He knows it by now because he’s not stupid. Key also knows it but it won’t happen during the season because Thacker is a good dude and nothing to gain by letting him go in season.

Special teams have to be addressed or Key will be seen as non-serious by the coaching community. Faulkner will be hired away this off season as this job was an audition and he’s already passed. I hope I’m wrong but its pretty obvious an SEC team will grab him up which would set him up to be a head coach within the next 4 years.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
A tale of two sides:

1 sack in three games is staggering.

The improvement over the past is that the issue is clear and isolated instead of every single facet of execution.

For the rest of this year at least a team that's good at *something* is a lot more entertaining to watch than a team that's generally liable to be bad at everything any given week.

I'm not convinced that keeping Thacker wasn't a pocketbook-led decision and that it'll be easier to find new money for a better DC in year two than it was on top of the buyout and all last year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Our talent differential with Ole Miss is massive. It was very easy to see watching the game. We are clearly getting some better offensive players via the Portal. We still are overall a lower 1/3 P5 team in talent. The defense has zero difference/playmakers. Just a bunch of average 3 star guys. 2 or 3 elite defenders would change the whole complection of our defense. Whit made a huge difference on defense by himself last year.
I think we ultimately just need to gamble more on defense. When you have super talented LBs and DLs you can be pretty conservative and get stops. If we are going to give up TDs by being conservative then we oughta just gamble and at least get a lucky stop every now and then - or some havoc turnover.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this one. It's a bad look when you don't have a plan for what happens if a player gets hurt...you should have that planned out for every starting position on the field.
Not sure I understand this sentiment. Joshua Taylor subbed in and punted a 40-yarder. Not superb, but considering he's a true freshman making his first punt, not too bad. What am I missing?