Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
He kicked it about 25 yards and fortunately Ole Miss let it roll 15 more.
Ok, so he put the correct spin on it so it would roll in our favor. Again, an acceptable, but not a great punt in a sample size of one, but not seeing how you can conclude that we didn't have a plan.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Only three games in, but the data is starting to correlate...exciting offense and absolutely abysmal defense.
This is exactly what I expected from our defense. The offense has been much better than expected. Several on this board said our defense was good last year and would be solid this year. LOL

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Party Nerds GIF by IFHT Films

Maybe a week early, but still here
Not mad, just disappointed. Happy that we put up a bit of a fight.
a bit? the team fought to the final whistle. Don’t mistake lack of talent in some positions and depth with lack of effort. they don’t quit under Key!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so he put the correct spin on it so it would roll in our favor. Again, an acceptable, but not a great punt in a sample size of one, but not seeing how you can conclude that we didn't have a plan.
Because earlier in the game after he was dinged it basically seemed like they were gonna send shanahan back out there even if he could barely walk. If you distrust the backup that much that’s a problem. Just came off like the coaches had no decent plan b there.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly what I expected from our defense. The offense has been much better than expected. Several on this board said our defense was good last year and would be solid this year. LOL
It's also very frustrating. If someone had said before the season that we would have a top-20 offense and a very disciplined team (no penalties), I would have expected us to be playing for the conference championship. I expected our D to regress some with the loss of key players, but this is ridiculous.
Hoping we can retain our playmakers on offense; it's got to be frustrating for them as well. Jamal Haynes emphasized "complementary football" in his presser afterward. Take that as you want.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Because earlier in the game after he was dinged it basically seemed like they were gonna send shanahan back out there even if he could barely walk. If you distrust the backup that much that’s a problem. Just came off like the coaches had no decent plan b there.
We aren't privy to the conversations that occurred between Shanahan and the coaches. Most players want to go back out and will tend to minimize their injuries. Regardless, I understand how you could have come to your conclusion.
If Shanahan sits out next Saturday and our backup falls short, I will conclude that we failed to have a good backup in place. That's on the coaches, even though that is not a position that normally has a lot of depth. Otherwise, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. In the grand scheme of things, we've got bigger problems.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Please explain how we didn’t quit on Ole Miss final possession.
Whether we did or not remains a moot point imo. While my friends and neighbors who are all Ole Miss grads commented on how we no longer looked like a HS team like we did last year and there WAS noticeable and significant improvement to all observers, I think that OM roster and coaching staff is one where we perhaps would win three times out of a 100. The Louisville game was a different story - that looked like a 50/50 proposition to my untrained eye. Possibly a better effort in the last 4 or 5 minutes might have reduced the overall margin by 10 - 14 points, but this was not a game where we let an inferior or even equal opponent beat us as we have often done in the past.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Our plan is a punter that can line drive a kick 25 yards? That’s not much of a plan.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Please explain how we didn’t quit on Ole Miss final possession.
sure. difference between worn out ( Def played a lot) and giving up. Did you play FB somewhere in your past? I did and having to play majority in any game with short fields makes the 4th quarter hard to ”catch ‘em” . Our team has a questionable D talent to play a top 25 team. OK by me. will still support the team.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
GT had nearly 40 minutes of possession, the D didn’t play a lot in terms of minutes. A lot of chasing players down, maybe, but not a lot of time overall.

They went from largely making OM grind away at drives to breaking down immediately, something looked different. Maybe mentally worn down vs “quit”?

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
GT had nearly 40 minutes of possession, the D didn’t play a lot in terms of minutes. A lot of chasing players down, maybe, but not a lot of time overall.

They went from largely making OM grind away at drives to breaking down immediately, something looked different. Maybe mentally worn down vs “quit”?
Didn't TOP have to do with longer drives and much shorter turnover drives? how many plays for each? Not fighting, just asking.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
sure. difference between worn out ( Def played a lot) and giving up. Did you play FB somewhere in your past? I did and having to play majority in any game with short fields makes the 4th quarter hard to ”catch ‘em” . Our team has a questionable D talent to play a top 25 team. OK by me. will still support the team.
Ole miss ran less than 60 plays. If our defense was tired from less than 60 plays, we should fire our entire strength and conditioning staff.

Kiffin in the post game field interview had to apologize for scoring on the final drive, because he wasn’t trying to. The defense doesn’t deserve to get a pass in this one. The offense played like winners from beginning to end. The defense might as well have stayed on the bus.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Ole miss ran less than 60 plays. If our defense was tired from less than 60 plays, we should fire our entire strength and conditioning staff.

Kiffin in the post game field interview had to apologize for scoring on the final drive, because he wasn’t trying to. The defense doesn’t deserve to get a pass in this one. The offense played like winners from beginning to end. The defense might as well have stayed on the bus.
ok. you win.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Our plan is a punter that can line drive a kick 25 yards? That’s not much of a plan.
I’m puzzled as to why some are making an issue of this. The facts are:
  • Our starting, and presumably best, punter got hurt.
  • We put in our freshman backup.
  • He punted for a net 40 yards.
  • Despite a sample size of only one, we complained that we didn’t have a plan because he didn’t look good doing it.
Ok, you win.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

If he was punting like that in practice I doubt he'd be in the game. Sometimes bad punts happen, especially when it's the first time you kick under the big lights. Bad execution doesn't mean we didn't have a plan.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m puzzled as to why some are making an issue of this. The facts are:
  • Our starting, and presumably best, punter got hurt.
  • We put in our freshman backup.
  • He punted for a net 40 yards.
  • Despite a sample size of only one, we complained that we didn’t have a plan because he didn’t look good doing it.
Ok, you win.
A punt that goes 25 yards, rolls fifteen yards and goes out of bounds is fine with me.