Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t we fire Al Groh mid-season? That worked out for the best iirc, then we turned around and brought in Roof the next
That wasn't why the fake failed. It was wide open, unfortunately the refs elected to ignore the massive hold on Seither.
Between the refs missing that holding call and problems with the stupid chains while we were on offense was killing me. The ref was right there and missed it. Smh

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think we are all falling victim (myself included) to a bit of revisionist history on our defense from past year. It’s not exactly like we were lighting things up. We had the 84th ranked scoring defense and 85th ranked total defense in FBS. I think we had just been so bad for the few years prior that the slight uptick made us hopeful. Couple that with the slew of turnovers we enjoyed in our wins and the inspired play of Thomas and we all thought we had something going. Now I think we’ve regressed to the mean under Thacker. Unfortunately I just don’t feel he’s going to get it done.

Of all the DCs we’ve burned through in the past 15 years I thought Woody in his one year showed the most potential.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think we are all falling victim (myself included) to a bit of revisionist history on our defense from past year. It’s not exactly like we were lighting things up. We had the 84th ranked scoring defense and 85th ranked total defense in FBS. I think we had just been so bad for the few years prior that the slight uptick made us hopeful. Couple that with the slew of turnovers we enjoyed in our wins and the inspired play of Thomas and we all thought we had something going. Now I think we’ve regressed to the mean under Thacker. Unfortunately I just don’t feel he’s going to get it done.

Of all the DCs we’ve burned through in the past 15 years I thought Woody in his one year showed the most potential.
If I recall correctly, in games where Charlie Thomas was playing the defense was decently aggressive, but whenever he got a targeting call and came off the field, we tended to revert just like this to a much more passive, reactionary defense.

Also agree on Woody, was disappointed to not see a 2nd season for his D to really gel and be effective.His defenses at Army have been much better than anything we've seen the last 4 years. About 5 pts/gm better on defense last year, about 2 TD/gm better in 21 and 20.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If I recall correctly, in games where Charlie Thomas was playing the defense was decently aggressive, but whenever he got a targeting call and came off the field, we tended to revert just like this to a much more passive, reactionary defense.

Also agree on Woody, was disappointed to not see a 2nd season for his D to really gel and be effective.His defenses at Army have been much better than anything we've seen the last 4 years. About 5 pts/gm better on defense last year, about 2 TD/gm better in 21 and 20.
When CPJ announced his retirement one of my first thoughts was “Oh no, we won’t get to see what Woody can do.” I honestly thought he was the long sought after answer.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Between the refs missing that holding call and problems with the stupid chains while we were on offense was killing me. The ref was right there and missed it. Smh
It's why I asked before the game if the refs were SEC refs. They always find a way to ignore obvious penalties when an SEC team plays a non-conference foe. Anyone know who supplied the refs?

slugboy

Staff member

Maybe, but Woody’s first year was worse than any of the Ted Roof years.
Funny thing is, UNC hired away Woody’s predecessor at Army, who had their defense humming, and was thought of as an innovator, to be co-DC at UNC. He got fired from UNC because their defense was awful. Woody had great defensive stats at App State, then bad stats here, and now he has good stats at Army. I guess the environment makes a difference.

I think that we looked a lot better on defense last year. We had a good defense. Some of it was having some ballers. Keion White drew double teams and still caused trouble. Charlie Thomas got key turnovers when other teams drove on us and we couldn’t stop them otherwise.
We weren’t great against the run, and we’re still not. We’re worse against the run than we were last year.
On the other hand, Key got the coaches he wanted on defense—or he got pretty much who he wanted. These guys should be able to coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For out of conference games, the two teams determine before hand who will referee the game. SEC refs were the ones calling last Saturdays game and ACC refs called the game last year.

Our yearly game with uga flips it where ACC refs call our away games and SEC refs call our home games.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Using total points and total yardage is an inaccurate method to determine the effectiveness of offense or defense. Yards per play and points per possession are much better.