Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
As someone has already noted, we stopped them on one drive all night. That is not winning football.
Key did a reasonably good job when TFG was fired after 3 games. Is there a possibility that Thacker gets fired soon, so someone else can come in as DC and maybe make improvements? I would be happy with someone who comes in and just says, “Men, if you are not willing to hit hard and make tackles, you won’t be on the field.”

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Those ticket sales are skewed Colorado wasn’t selling every ticket at $400 as season tickets were sold out in April at $125 a game
We don't sell about 10k tickets to every one of our games. If we were to sell just our unsolds that would be $500k per game, over 7 games that is an additional $3.5m at face value not including the section fees.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
We don't sell about 10k tickets to every one of our games. If we were to sell just our unsolds that would be $500k per game, over 7 games that is an additional $3.5m at face value not including the section fees.
I just looked it up. The SC State game had an attendance of 31000 in a stadium with capacity of 55000.

That’s nearly 24k tickets for this single game.

At $50/ticket you’re making $1.2mm right there, not including concessions.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Next drive 4th and goal. I would have taken the 3. That's essentially 13 pts difference.
I wanted the Fg too then. His decision reminded of the days when CPJ didn't trust his kicker and his defense so he was forced to take risks to try and outscore the other team.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So, after a night to sleep on it here are my following thoughts.

Offense - continues to show promise. Overall yardage stats are good (300-170 ish split). However we still had only 3 points until about 2 minutes left in the third, and were down 24 - 3. Now, we had moved the ball and you could argue that we should have had at least another 10 points based on the offensive production until then. While that is true, the same came be said for Ole miss with their own blocked FG and dropped TD pass. Now if it was 34-13 late in the third it would have been a bit more indicative of what went well vs what went wrong, but it's the same deficit. The other thing to note is that had the game been more competitive we likely don't go for it on 4th and 8 from the 15 and instead kick a FG. We also likely don't go for it on 4th and 1 from our own 35 on our last TD drive. And that is just a general dynamic of lopsided scores (3 possession games). The risks tend to "favor" the offensive stats at the cost of the defensive stats (they had 3 TD set up off short fields because of forced aggressive playcalls late). So overall, I'd say the 23 points is a fairly good number to represent how our offense did. Some missed opportunities that could have let us score more, and some points added on due to the game situation dictating gambles.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is the offensive game plan made sense but I don't think it's the right approach for this team going forward. We tried shortening the game playing fairly conservatively which I think both was to try and limit Ole Miss' strength but also to protect King a bit who has a history of turnover issues of his own and our OL who has shown some pass pro issues. And it worked about as well as it could have. We had drives of 12,13, and 17 plays in the first half. But we scored 3 points, because we had 9 third downs and converted "just" 6 of them. We had no penalties, and few negative plays. Basically, it went as well as could be expected. But it still got us just 3 points. And even if we get the FG that was blocked and kick the one instead of going for it on 4th, that is still just 9 points, and FGs aren't going to get it done with our defense against better teams. Feels like we'll need to be a bit more aggressive earlier in the game.

Defense - this was just bad. Sure, it was hurt by short fields because of issues we had elsewhere (scoring drives of 34, 28, 34, and 50) but it pretty much didn't matter where they got the ball. Only time we forced them to punt was spurred on by a hold that didn't effect the play and a false start putting them at 1st and 25. Otherwise about the only positive is that we forced them into 4 FGA (one of which they went for). Even then, one of those was a end of half attempt that went 32 yards in just over a minute to get in "range". Like the offense I think the score had both inflation due to the game state, but also missed opportunities by UL that could have added more. Also, the offense in the first half kept the ball so much also kept the score "down". Yeah. Just awful. Best silver lining I can see is we did do a good job on limiting Judkins.

Special teams was special.

Anyways, looking forward, our schedule seems to have 3 distinct groups to me at the moment. There is the tier of teams that seem to be solidly above us which I would say is UGA, Clemson, UNC, and Miami. It's possible we could pull an upset, especially UNC at home based on recent history, but unlikely. There is the tier of teams that we are, hopefully, solidly above which would be Bowling Green, UVA, and Boston College. We shouldn't lose to them, but I could also see BC pulling an upset if the second half of their FSU game is something they can build on and they are coming off a bye week against us (and we are as well). The third group is of teams is Wake and Cuse who I view as being bowl hopefuls that are solid but beatable teams. I pretty much lump the three teams we've played into those groups as well with Ole Miss being in the first, SC State in the second and UL in the third. To be on schedule to make a bowl, I think we really have to beat Wake. If we go 1-3 it will both be a bad look symbolically, not that that is really important, but also means we would then have to pull a pretty major upset and avoid any other unexpected losses.

It'll be interesting to see how wake's QB (Griffis) does. He's a sophomore but he's in his 4th year in the program (same year Hartman had his real breakthrough), and put up fairly good numbers (279 ypg, 62% 8-3 TD to INT) against fairly weak competition, and has eaten 10 sacks so far. I would guess he'll be able to have success against our defense, but maybe we can get some pressure on him. If we can't get much pressure in this game, then we likely won't be getting much at all this year. Very winnable game, but also loseable, and it's really important we get this road win.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah it's really annoying. how do they not have a play by play or a working game cast when we're aired on their own network.
I was following the gamecast live and it seemed to break down when the chains fiasco started.

I wonder if those chains are connected to the data somehow. The commentators were saying something to the effect of them having a lot in them besides just being chains.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The most tilting thing about all of this is this is another game where espn doesn't have our play by play data, so sites like game on paper don't have the breakdown. https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401520241

I don't know what happened there. I was following the game along on ESPN gamecast til somewhere in the late second quarter. Not sure why the stats went completely away.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Also want to add that some folks are saying that we're writing off some of the very criticisms that we had of coach Collins. That's a fair statement, but I think most of us knew by collins loss against the citadel or the first homecoming loss that he wasn't the right fit.

Key no doubt in my mind is the right fit for us, but I'm willing to be patient while he works the kinks out. I lost patience with Collins very quickly

Remember we also have a very tough schedule start

I think on offense, we will be fine, but thacker in my mind is on thin ice right now if defense doesn't improve

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Also want to add that some folks are saying that we're writing off some of the very criticisms that we had of coach Collins. That's a fair statement, but I think most of us knew by collins loss against the citadel or the first homecoming loss that he wasn't the right fit.

Key no doubt in my mind is the right fit for us, but I'm willing to be patient while he works the kinks out. I lost patience with Collins very quickly

Remember we also have a very tough schedule start

I think on offense, we will be fine, but thacker in my mind is on thin ice right now if defense doesn't improve

We had 0 penalties yesterday. While there are issues to be fixed, I can give grace when we are at least playing disciplined football.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I wanted the Fg too then. His decision reminded of the days when CPJ didn't trust his kicker and his defense so he was forced to take risks to try and outscore the other team.
Hindsight is always 20/20. At the 50,000-foot level, I don't have a problem with the call. Key's stated game plan on offense was to be aggressive. This high-risk/high-reward approach was likely the only realistic path to winning the game.
Same for the failed fake punt, where he also was trying to control the ball and keep the opponent's offense off the field. This strategy was mostly successful. I think Key recognizes that our defense is not going to be of much help in winning games this year, although he's not likely to admit that in public.

On defense, I believe that many of our issues (poor tackling/arm tackling/bad angles, etc.) are related to lack of speed. This weakness is more apparent against teams that have speedy offenses and running QBs. It is unlikely to be corrected easily through coaching. We are going to need to recruit better and hit the portal hard. We had a couple of playmakers last year that were able to mask some of our weaknesses in this regard. I'm not saying we should give Thacker a pass by any means, but he doesn't have the ingredients for a defense to match our offense this year.

Looking ahead, I haven't seen anything from a Sam Hartman-less Wake Forest that should intimidate us. Unless Old Dominion is a lot better than I thought. They will score some points but so should we.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I just looked it up. The SC State game had an attendance of 31000 in a stadium with capacity of 55000.

That’s nearly 24k tickets for this single game.

At $50/ticket you’re making $1.2mm right there, not including concessions.
It's staggering how our highly educated fanbase fails to master basic finance, a level of math many people master when they were 12. With a decent team, we're bringing in $12-15M more per season just in ticket sales. It's really not that difficult a concept, but I guess it's a lot easier to use the age old excuse of we can't afford it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
that’s great but we also play awful on special teams and play undisciplined defense when it comes to tackling. the amount of passes that should be 3 yard gains that turn into 20+ is unacceptable and it’s costing us games and a lot of momentum.

i wanna like key, i really do cause the collins years are easily the worst tech years of my lifetime, but settling for “we don’t commit penalties” is not enough any more. we gotta win some damn ball games
Our talent differential with Ole Miss is massive. It was very easy to see watching the game. We are clearly getting some better offensive players via the Portal. We still are overall a lower 1/3 P5 team in talent. The defense has zero difference/playmakers. Just a bunch of average 3 star guys. 2 or 3 elite defenders would change the whole complection of our defense. Whit made a huge difference on defense by himself last year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Oddly I also brought up the conditioning issue when we died in 2nd half vs Lville.(didn't do that great vs SCS also)I think it obvious we are physically not able to sustain effort for some reason. Another thought on missed tackles is lack of strength.Technique plays a role but how much? I have the feeling that most of our defense is either too weak or too slow esp the front 7.
Scoring AT Least 35 a game with NO mistakes or turnovers for rest of season seems very daunting at this point.
I think it might be lack of depth more than lack of conditioning

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
“Smart chains” seem like one of the most unecessary “add computers to it” “innovations” I’ve ever seen. It’s not rocket science, it’s a measuring stick, and not one where you need like sub-millimeter accuracy with digital calipers or anything.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
“Smart chains” seem like one of the most unecessary “add computers to it” “innovations” I’ve ever seen. It’s not rocket science, it’s a measuring stick, and not one where you need like sub-millimeter accuracy with digital calipers or anything.

They’re not smart, they’re genius. They only malfunction when the opposing team is driving and you’d like to get reset on defense without calling a timeout.