Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
i just find it very WEIRD how a lot of the same defenses i’m seeing for key were used for collins and a lot of the same fonts jumped all over anyone for saying the same things.

the moral victories are getting very old. i’m not trying to hear that we look better than before. key was a part of this mess before and so was thacker and frankly neither of them are delivering. it’s time for some accountability and for tech fans to quit settling for “at least we were in the game”
I just don’t understand why you care so much about other posters being hypocritical, to the point where you can’t even talk about the game itself (in the post game thread) without immediately bringing up previous regime. I also don’t remember you jumping into accountability talk three games into the Collins regime. But I guess you learned your lesson and realize accountability should always be present when discussing head coaches.

JacketFan137

Banned
I just don’t understand why you care so much about other posters being hypocritical, to the point where you can’t even talk about the game itself (in the post game thread) without immediately bringing up previous regime. I also don’t remember you jumping into accountability talk three games into the Collins regime. But I guess you learned your lesson and realize accountability should always be present when discussing head coaches.
yeah i’m not defending this staff because key and thacker were part of the problem for years.

i am talking about the game but i find it really weird that you seem to care so much that i have chosen to hold this staff accountable for their lackluster performance in our two big games thus far.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
yeah i’m not defending this staff because key and thacker were part of the problem for years.

i am talking about the game but i find it really weird that you seem to care so much that i have chosen to hold this staff accountable for their lackluster performance in our two big games thus far.
What? Hold this staff accountable all you want. I literally just said in the comment that you’re responding to that all head coaches should be held accountable always. I don’t care at all about that. I care about you unnecessarily bringing Collins up into it. But whatever, do you.

Edit: the coaching job was well below average today. You got the wrong person lol

JacketFan137

Banned
What? Hold this staff accountable all you want. I literally just said in the comment that you’re responding to that all head coaches should be held accountable always. I don’t care at all about that. I care about you unnecessarily bringing Collins up into it. But whatever, do you.
brother the head coach and defensive coordinator were a part of collins staff. they are an extension of his time here.

you do you too lmfao

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
I think context is important here. Ole miss has one of the best offenses in the country and we were within a TD to tie it in the 4th. Realistically, I still see us getting 6 wins and doing very well in conference play. Defense can’t handle playing all 4 quarters, so we have to learn how to win with this limitation. By next year, we should have enough players from the transfer portal to play all 4 quarters without being exhausted. If this is the case, I can see us being ranked next year. In the meantime, let’s beat Wake next week!

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
a lot of excuses for key sound eerily similar to the excuses that weren’t allowed for collins. still terrible special teams and don’t know who our kicker and punter should be.

we are not a well coached team yet
Bro it’s the third game in, I normally agree with your posts, but let’s not freak out yet. Certain things are marginally better such as the O, not as many stupid penalties, agree that D and special teams need work as well as overall effort. I’m more focused on the the teams progression and development throughout the year.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
We had two drops that would’ve ended in touchdowns, and another that was caught a step out of bounds from being a touchdown. Group that with the blocked fg that gave them their only td of the first half, and there were a lot of things that went wrong today. That’s college football. I saw a lot of positives from this game today though, most is that our offense is competent. Not satisfied with the d or special teams yet, but we will get there. I really like this team. We have some definite playmakers, I just hope we can hang onto them through the portal.

JacketFan137

Banned
Bro it’s the third game in, I normally agree with your posts, but let’s not freak out yet. Certain things are marginally better such as the O, not as many stupid penalties, agree that D and special teams need work as well as overall effort. I’m more focused on the the teams progression and development throughout the year.
i agree that they can improve over the course of the season but there’s a fine line between progression and us just lacking some fundamentals and basic qualities a football team needs to have.

we cannot keep making so many errors on special teams. from shanked punts, blocked field goals, not having an idea who the best kicker and punter are on the roster, this is something that’s been going on since 2019. it’s not new and it’s killing us. i think that also carries into other areas of the game. nothing more demoralizing than getting deep into enemy territory and not getting points, or even worse getting blocked and giving the defense awful field position.

we also cannot tackle in our secondary. i have lost count on how many plays that were 3 yard gains have turned into 15, 20, 25 yard plays because we have awful tackling.

both of those things are not new to this week, they’re not new to this season and they aren’t new to this coaching staff.

our offense really does look promising and i do think we are one or two outside playmakers away from really tearing teams apart and i think our RBs are punching way above their weight. i just don’t see how we can pretend to be happy about progression when this is YEAR 5 for part of the staff that is dragging us down the most

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at this game from the paper right now (I passed out drunk at halftime)
Crazy happy with offense but sounds like our players didn’t execute when it was crucial to, like dropping passes that could have resulted in a win
We got our FIRST sack of the season. Guess we should have hit the portal more on defense. Or reacted more when Kiffin bought Akelo Stone. Whatever
I saw one clip where we missed about 6 tackles in one play, felt about right. I wildly overestimated our secondary this year. Hate to be a Thacker hater after last year but there is clearly something missing.
I don’t think Key is dumb or holds irrational relationships like the last guy, and adjustments are made in the off-season.
All in all, I still think this is a good first year for Key (still drinking the Koolaid) go jackets

Last edited:

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
If the OL continues to improve this offense will be one of the best in the ACC as we get into conference play. I’ve seen enough of Thacker. He shouldn’t have been retained, and I’d imagine Key is regretting that decision now. Have to make some changes on the defensive staff in the off-season.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
We’ve lost to 2 very good football teams that’s got more talent. Just comparing Ga Tech to my other favorite team Penn State. I believe Ga Tech is better at QB, WR and OL. Penn St is better at Defense at all positions but one thing I do notice about Techs defense is they fight and play hard we just gotta get a few more studs and that takes a little time it’s the man first year for goodness sake. We played 3 games and imo we’re right where we should be 1-2 losing to 2 top 25 teams. I know it’s frustrating losing folks but we all know Brent Key had work to do and after the last 4 years of Collins you can see with the naked eye that this team is so much better today. They don’t give up and they fight until there’s no more time on the clock. Defense got tired last night just like they did in the Louisville game, it’s happens when you’re on the field a lot. Man the offense looked good last night just gotta clean up a few things and we’re going to make a bowl game this year. Just my 2 cents

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
The score got away from us at the end but the progress we have shown from last year to this year is apparent. This is not a one-year turn-around but the right parts are falling into place.

1. King is a great QB for us the next 1-2 seasons
2. Our staff has proven that they can scout offensive skill talent in the portal. If our staff stays together, that will be key to keeping our offense performing at a high level
3. Injuries, especially to Shanahan, influenced the flow of the game. Lets hope either Shanahan gets to feeling better or we can get a punter ready for next week
4. Tackling remains a problem and I doubt this is something we fix this year.
5. Ditto regarding the pass rush.
6. I think we are going to continue rolling Birr out there on field goals. Hopefully we get some consistency out of that position.

Key and Thacker have a history, they were both on the UCF staff together, so I don't think Thacker is on as short of a tether as others here. That said, the defense has to start performing better. Louisville's offense does not look to be anything special, we gave SC State the best game they have had this year, and missed tackles left and right vs. Ole Miss. Also, can anyone on this board explain to me how our defense always makes the opposing QB look like they run a 4.4 40? Doesn't matter what team, who our HC is, what our scheme is, we have always had trouble with QB contain.

I think the improvement on the offense is absolutely insane. We went from not being able to consistently move the ball against anyone for 4 years to having multiple 10+ play drives agains a top-20 opponent. Outside of the one long pass, the big play was non-existent for us last night which, I think, gives us cause to be optimistic in our ability to extend drives.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We're still in the early stages of building a program IMO, my biggest worry is hanging on to good players long enough to build up our personnel to have a competitive team. Our first phase was working our way through players that were never going to fit, we've now completed that and are in the second phase. We had a deep, deep hole to work our way out of and it was always going to take time. Hopefully CBK can get us to the final level, at this point I'm trusting he can and will. I am seeing progress and believe we will keep making progress.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The score got away from us at the end but the progress we have shown from last year to this year is apparent. This is not a one-year turn-around but the right parts are falling into place.

1. King is a great QB for us the next 1-2 seasons
2. Our staff has proven that they can scout offensive skill talent in the portal. If our staff stays together, that will be key to keeping our offense performing at a high level
3. Injuries, especially to Shanahan, influenced the flow of the game. Lets hope either Shanahan gets to feeling better or we can get a punter ready for next week
4. Tackling remains a problem and I doubt this is something we fix this year.
5. Ditto regarding the pass rush.
6. I think we are going to continue rolling Birr out there on field goals. Hopefully we get some consistency out of that position.

Key and Thacker have a history, they were both on the UCF staff together, so I don't think Thacker is on as short of a tether as others here. That said, the defense has to start performing better. Louisville's offense does not look to be anything special, we gave SC State the best game they have had this year, and missed tackles left and right vs. Ole Miss. Also, can anyone on this board explain to me how our defense always makes the opposing QB look like they run a 4.4 40? Doesn't matter what team, who our HC is, what our scheme is, we have always had trouble with QB contain.

I think the improvement on the offense is absolutely insane. We went from not being able to consistently move the ball against anyone for 4 years to having multiple 10+ play drives agains a top-20 opponent. Outside of the one long pass, the big play was non-existent for us last night which, I think, gives us cause to be optimistic in our ability to extend drives.
Some of our best defensive players were on the opposing team last night.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I like Coach Key, I like the coaching staff he put together on offense. Still not sure what to think about the defensive coaching staff. I can see 100% improvement in the offense and yes even the offensive line. I still think we will have a winning record this year. I feel sure coach Key will watch the tape of this game and look hard at the defensive play in the 4th quarter and see if each player was given 100%,
Sometimes after a game it's better to stay off the board and wait till you calm down. Anyone who thought we would win 10 games, or more was not using their head but only their heart,

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think context is important here. Ole miss has one of the best offenses in the country and we were within a TD to tie it in the 4th. Realistically, I still see us getting 6 wins and doing very well in conference play. Defense can’t handle playing all 4 quarters, so we have to learn how to win with this limitation. By next year, we should have enough players from the transfer portal to play all 4 quarters without being exhausted. If this is the case, I can see us being ranked next year. In the meantime, let’s beat Wake next week!

Defense played 21 minutes yesterday. We had 39 minutes TOP. Our best defense was keeping them off the field by our offense.

We are not "tough" on D. But back to the days of CPJ and death marches and maybe we have a chance to hide our D and ST.