Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here’s why we HAVE to find ways to win some of these games: a lot of our top players may not be here next season if we keep losing. We have to go to a bowl game. That’s the reality in the transfer portal era.
Well, then that means that we pretty much HAVE to beat Wake next week. Losing that Louisville game puts just that much more pressure on a young team. IIWII

slugboy

Staff member
We will see. Dart is one of the better quarterbacks in the SEC but I would be willing to bet they lose the next two games. They have impressive talent on both sides of the ball.
I’m almost rooting for Alabama next week (I’ll probably root for a temporal rift sending both teams far away, but that ain’t happening)

The defense doesn’t have that one player who really brings the lumber. Charlie Thomas could hit and wrap up. Dart could run without consequences tonight.

Major errors in the secondary

Lots of people calling for Thacker’s job, but it’s not like any one position group on defense played well all game—there was a lot of inconsistency, and if a runner got into the secondary they were wreaking havoc.

If Thacker isn’t coaching like he should, which of the defensive coaches is?

If we are going to play a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5, the secondary has to be solid against the run and be able to tackle and have to beat their blockers. In the 4th, they got behind the receivers, too. They’re half the defense—they have to make plays.

We can’t switch to a 3-4 or a 52 in the middle of the season, but a front 6 doesn’t seem to be enough for us. We need tacklers.

Ole Miss’ defense rushed hard to the ball. We had speed and a lot of other success, but we didn’t make them pay for overcommitting. The offense is better, but it’s not improved enough.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m almost rooting for Alabama next week (I’ll probably root for a temporal rift sending both teams far away, but that ain’t happening)

The defense doesn’t have that one player who really brings the lumber. Charlie Thomas could hit and wrap up. Dart could run without consequences tonight.

Major errors in the secondary

Lots of people calling for Thacker’s job, but it’s not like any one position group on defense played well all game—there was a lot of inconsistency, and if a runner got into the secondary they were wreaking havoc.

If we are going to play a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5, the secondary has to be solid against the run and be able to tackle and have to beat their blockers. In the 4th, they got behind the receivers, too. They’re half the defense—they have to make plays.

We can’t switch to a 3-4 or a 52 in the middle of the season, but a front 6 doesn’t seem to be enough for us. We need tacklers.

Ole Miss’ defense rushed hard to the ball. We had speed and a lot of other success, but we didn’t make them pay for overcommitting. The offense is better, but it’s not improved enough.
A pity that they can't both lose.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We’re up 28-13 against Louisville at half … we’re up 28-0 just before the half against SCSt … we’re down 10-3 at half and 24-17 in 4th tonight … why do you think our defense falls apart and can’t step up later in the game? Coaching? We let up? Obviously lack of pressure and missed tackles/blown coverage. What gives?
Lack of playmakers on defense. Lack of depth on defense. Not very well coached at all 3 levels on defense. Besides that we are ok on defense!

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Mississippi scored 24 points in the last 7 and a half minutes of the game. To think I used to complain about the defense when Coach Johnson was running through defensive coordinators like peanuts. During one play in the third quarter, a Rebel running back broke three tackles on one play. Beyond embarrassing.
This is a reflection of our lack of depth on defense and was completely predictable.

Here’s what I said in the chat at halftime:

“The worry I have is that we don’t have the depth on defense which might leave us exposed in the second half as the starters tire. “

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree… I honestly wouldn’t waste breath on that either. I had actually just told my son that’s the kind of stuff losers hold dear.
Vanderbilt fans have been saying that for many years, decades actually while they collect a hefty paycheck to keep their athletic program afloat.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As for my thoughts, I've been saying all week our offense will give us a chance, but we needed the defense to improve. The defense did not improve. I though Haynes King looked good, as did our WR group apart from the drops.

Lots of people calling for Thacker’s job, but it’s not like any one position group on defense played well all game
He has been the defensive coordinator of our worst defenses, and is co dc of this current catastrophe. He should have been gone before 2022, and he certainly should have been out the door along with Collins last year. I'm glad the defense did well to end last season, but these first three games have looked very much like 2019-2021 defenses.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
Lack of playmakers on defense. Lack of depth on defense. Not very well coached at all 3 levels on defense. Besides that we are ok on defense!
In our first 3 games of 2022 we scored 45 points versus 105 so far. For first 3 games of 2022 we allowed 100 points versus 100 points so far. Sure, this is a very crude measurement, but speaks to our offense is very much improved but no improvement on defense. Our defense improved after Key took over in 2022 - so we’re back to square one now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Also find a way to hold onto Jamal Haynes and Eric Singleton, and also find a way to start turning close losses into close wins please. I'm ready for that step in the process.
Why would they stay?

We needed to adjust defense - only a few plays w lb on los.

Offense ran clock to 8 or less during 4th q.

Playing to get close- not playing to win.

JacketFan137

Banned
We’re probably #1 in the nation in fewest penalties
that’s great but we also play awful on special teams and play undisciplined defense when it comes to tackling. the amount of passes that should be 3 yard gains that turn into 20+ is unacceptable and it’s costing us games and a lot of momentum.

i wanna like key, i really do cause the collins years are easily the worst tech years of my lifetime, but settling for “we don’t commit penalties” is not enough any more. we gotta win some damn ball games

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Check the Ole Miss drive chart. Remember that "DOWNS" = they ended their drive with a dropped pass in the end zone. "FGA" = drive ended because of 1st half clock.

View attachment 14748

Add in our very special Special Teams.

Ugly.

Offense can do some things, but we have problems.
Our defense is just flat out bad. No sugar coating it. It was always going to be a struggle replacing the DE and LBs, but we’ve done about as poor a job as could be expected. Very disappointing.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
that’s great but we also play awful on special teams and play undisciplined defense when it comes to tackling. the amount of passes that should be 3 yard gains that turn into 20+ is unacceptable and it’s costing us games and a lot of momentum.

i wanna like key, i really do cause the collins years are easily the worst tech years of my lifetime, but settling for “we don’t commit penalties” is not enough any more. we gotta win some damn ball games
I’ll just agree to disagree on how well-coached we look versus Collins. But I don’t understand why tf you’re immediately bringing up Collins in a post game thread in 2023. It’s weird.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Can we not talk about players transferring out at the end of the season? It’s Game 3 and whether you want to believe it or not, good things are happening at Georgia Tech. The program is full of hope now - a distant cry from the past few years.
Yeah but that’s the reality of college football now, and a reason why I’m losing interest in it. What’s the point in getting excited for talented young players when they might be playing against you next year? Jahmyr Gibbs, Nate McCollum, Jordan Domineck, Jared Ivey, and more. I hope our guys like Singleton, Jamal Haynes, Avery Boyd, and Zach Pyron stick around to see this rebuild through. But when they leave to go to the highest bidder it defeats the purpose of recruiting and developing young talent. Fans don’t get to see their freshman stars developed as upperclassmen and it hurts the entire product.

It would be like baseball fans watching young prospects rise through their team’s minor league system, and then just swap teams when they were ready for the majors. There’s no payoff there, so the time and care invested seems wasted and pointless.

JacketFan137

Banned
I’ll just agree to disagree on how well-coached we look versus Collins. But I don’t understand why tf you’re immediately bringing up Collins in a post game thread in 2023. It’s weird.
i just find it very WEIRD how a lot of the same defenses i’m seeing for key were used for collins and a lot of the same fonts jumped all over anyone for saying the same things.

the moral victories are getting very old. i’m not trying to hear that we look better than before. key was a part of this mess before and so was thacker and frankly neither of them are delivering. it’s time for some accountability and for tech fans to quit settling for “at least we were in the game”