Postgame GT 23 - Ole Miss 48

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
a lot of excuses for key sound eerily similar to the excuses that weren’t allowed for collins. still terrible special teams and don’t know who our kicker and punter should be.

we are not a well coached team yet
Did you watch the game or just listen to it? This is a well coached team on offense and a team with holes on defense. I am optimistic we'll get there on defense.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Why are you here?

Party Nerds GIF by IFHT Films

Maybe a week early, but still here

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Check the Ole Miss drive chart. Remember that "DOWNS" = they ended their drive with a dropped pass in the end zone.

View attachment 14748

Add in our very special Special Teams.

Ugly.

Offense can do some things, but we have problems.
We also dropped two TD passes (one was thrown a little behind). Those took 11 points off the board in the first half.
Two Ole Miss scores on short fields after failed 4th down attempts.
No excuse for the awful tackling, but we had our chances.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Tired of losing. Tired of moral victories. Tired of soft defense for what seems like forever. Does college football suck now? Or do we suck and it makes it worse? Or both?

Sorry for being dramatic. But we all know we had to win this season and win NOW.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Check the Ole Miss drive chart. Remember that "DOWNS" = they ended their drive with a dropped pass in the end zone. "FGA" = drive ended because of 1st half clock.

View attachment 14748

Add in our very special Special Teams.

Ugly.

Offense can do some things, but we have problems.
Yep. That the D only managed to stop one drive all game tells you everything you need to know. We will need opponents to make some mistakes to win games, the D isn't going to be making many stops this season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Let's see where Ole Miss ends the year. Not convinced they're very good. We have a ways to go to get where we need, but we're much better than we were. That's encouraging, but still not acceptable.
We will see. Dart is one of the better quarterbacks in the SEC but I would be willing to bet they lose the next two games. They have impressive talent on both sides of the ball.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
Gonna get this in before the usual doomer fans get on.
Regardless of what y'all say we are getting better.
However key really needs to get this defensive tackling thing under control
Special teams are still special

But hey our penalty count is way down.
This game would have been a blow.out under Collins easily

We're just not there yet against these top 20 schools, but I think we're tracking in the right direction at least now
Don’t disagree. We’re within a TD 17-24 in the 4th … even with earlier missed FG and turnover on downs in the red zone. We’re in it! But it is obvious that our defense is unable to step up … too many missed tackles and lack of pressure up front. Something is amiss - and so far Thacker isn’t making any progress.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, my neighbors (next door and across the street) are OM alums. I told them during pregame beers I would be happy after last year's game to be able to be in the second half and still be in the ball game. To think it was 24-17 early in the fourth would seem improbable to the casual fan who will see the score scrolling across their TV screen tonight or tomorrow.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We also dropped two TD passes (one was thrown a little behind). Those took 11 points off the board in the first half.
Two Ole Miss scores on short fields after failed 4th down attempts.
No excuse for the awful tackling, but we had our chances.
I agree about our drops. And the fake punt hold was egregious.

Defensively though, it didn't seem to matter where Ole Miss started its drives.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We will see. Dart is one of the better quarterbacks in the SEC but I would be willing to bet they lose the next two games. They have impressive talent on both sides of the ball.
I think we may have made them look better than they are but did you see Bama today. They have found out what Clemson has found out....when you string of first round QB's is over you don't seem quite as good as you were.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So, my neighbors (next door and across the street) are OM alums. I told them during pregame beers I would be happy after last year's game to be able to be in the second half and still be in the ball game. To think it was 24-17 early in the fourth would seem improbable to the casual fan who will see the score scrolling across their TV screen tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah… it’s a shame we couldn’t tackle anyone all night. We wouldn’t have to waste breath telling everyone how much closer it was than the score indicates
It’s getting better but these kind of games hurt… a lot!