Postgame BC

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, that is the question that gets debated around here all the time, whether it is CTR.
Could be. I sympathize with those who are always calling for more blitzes. Coach Roof says we do not have the players for a more aggressive scheme. Personally, I think we just don't have the horses especially up front. Just the way it is.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't rely on recruiting services to determine talent levels of teams. That is a waste of time IMHO. I just watch the replay, slow down the action, and decide for myself. I'll bet BC has as many players drafted off this defense as any we play, if not more.

I think you are somewhat missing the point here Boomer...if you want to toss out the recruiting rankings, then OK. The larger issue is...what does Addazio and his staff do differently to recruit talent on the D (it was obvious that they had it in spades)? why can't they replicate it on offense? And the same questions (in reverse) for CPJ? Or CCG or CGO'L for that matter? Why are most coaches so disparate in effectiveness in different phases of the game (I realize that there are few who are experts in all phases as coaches)? Ross was the last guy we had who managed to be good in all 3 areas (after he got things up and running).

Perhaps the recruiting rankings are rubbish (I didn't want that to be the point of my post). Maybe the aggregate ranking paints a false picture...maybe, for instance, BC's D recruits if looked at separately would rank #12 and their O recruits, as a unit would have ranked #88, thus yielding a ranking around 45 or so. Maybe the recruiting rankings should be by unit (although so many of these kids switch positions).

But the larger question remains.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, that is the question that gets debated around here all the time, whether it is CTR.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Roof is a bad DC, though I'm on the fence. I just think that there are some rare coaches that know how to develop a team conscious scheme which is much better than the sum of its parts.

GT has that on O, and BC on D.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right Boomer. Some of our OL were getting rag dolled by their DL, and it looked some of our A-backs/WR got out muscled. I also hope there is no truth to the theory that we have a 'tell' or a tendency that they have figured out and are secretly sharing among our opponents. It just seems like they know what is coming now. The MLB and safeties are right where they need to be, but we can't burn them and keep them honest. We need some sort of short passing game. I really liked the calls of the smoke/hitch route once in awhile, but I think it was only really successful once to Jeune?

I would prefer two or three smoke screens to MLD per game. Throw it to a "runner".

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I would prefer two or three smoke screens to MLD per game. Throw it to a "runner".
I'd like to see that too, but I think JT needs to get it out there with more zip a lot of the time. The quicker it gets out there, the sooner the WR gets to attack upfield. I remember Nesbitt used to fire it off hard, which maybe that's part of the reason Bay Bay dropped that big one but he always had room to maneuver when he caught it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think you are somewhat missing the point here Boomer...if you want to toss out the recruiting rankings, then OK. The larger issue is...what does Addazio and his staff do differently to recruit talent on the D (it was obvious that they had it in spades)? why can't they replicate it on offense? And the same questions (in reverse) for CPJ? Or CCG or CGO'L for that matter? Why are most coaches so disparate in effectiveness in different phases of the game (I realize that there are few who are experts in all phases as coaches)? Ross was the last guy we had who managed to be good in all 3 areas (after he got things up and running).

Perhaps the recruiting rankings are rubbish (I didn't want that to be the point of my post). Maybe the aggregate ranking paints a false picture...maybe, for instance, BC's D recruits if looked at separately would rank #12 and their O recruits, as a unit would have ranked #88, thus yielding a ranking around 45 or so. Maybe the recruiting rankings should be by unit (although so many of these kids switch positions).

But the larger question remains.
Could it be that while its important how good you are when recruited, its more important how fast you get better. Since we are limited by academics , we need the best coaches at player development and preparation.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Could it be that while its important how good you are when recruited, its more important how fast you get better. Since we are limited by academics , we need the best coaches at player development and preparation.

Good point. Keith Brooking is a perfect example of this. He was just a player that got noticeably, not marginally, better every single season he played. I saw him in HS and I (and probably everybody else but him) never dreamed he would be a top 10 NFL pick.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Roof is a bad DC, though I'm on the fence. I just think that there are some rare coaches that know how to develop a team conscious scheme which is much better than the sum of its parts.

GT has that on O, and BC on D.
So, assuming CTR is a good coach, you are suggesting that Tech's problem, so far, is not having recruited good enough players for the defense? Sounds like the reason CTR gives for not having a more aggressive style of play and using what some call, "bend but don't break."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, assuming CTR is a good coach, you are suggesting that Tech's problem, so far, is not having recruited good enough players for the defense? Sounds like the reason CTR gives for not having a more aggressive style of play and using what some call, "bend but don't break."

I'm saying it's possible CTR's D would be better with better players or more depth. We'll see this year since I think we have more playable depth.

I'm also saying that CTR is not to D what CPJ is to O in terms of scheme, development and playcalling but that Brown probably is.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
As far as the game goes:
The good:
Passing game - QB, WR's, AB's, OL (mostly). This is huge and will give us a chance to win a lot of games. The ability to convert 3rd/4th downs again will get us closer to '14 than '15.
Simmons - Looked like a difference maker.
Defense - Except for giving up the huge run, they looked competent. I liked the way they stopped the run the rest of the time.
OL - decent pass blocking, we were starting to be able to establish the BBack before the Mills fumble against a stout BC midsection.
BBacks
The continued fight in all three phases.
JFT
THE WIN!

The bad:
Option game - bad reads, bad rhythm, a few busted assignments
Giving up a 70+ yard run right up the gut. Where's the safety play?
Fumble by Mills when we were driving, transformed momentum.
Little pressure on QB.
Blitzes weren't disguised well.

The maybe:
Cerge made some plays. He's pretty nimble out there, with that #54 I sometimes mistake him for a LB.
Shamire was still playing hard at the end of the game. We might have a very good OL if we stay healthy and continue to sharpen up.
Special teams - love JJ and Stewart so far, Butker is going to have a monster year and go on to a good pro career, I didn't think Rodwell did too bad either but had some unfortunate bounces. FG block was YUUUUGE!
Terell Lewis looked like he belonged out there.
Would've thought AJ Gray's presence would've been felt more.
I would've thought Lynn Griffin would've gotten some snaps, but I don't remember seeing him out there. Same for Cottrell (though he would be more understandable from the injury).
The DL outside of Simmons. Freeman showed up some but didn't look 100% to me.

I like the look of this team, but the execution level has to ramp up as we go. I don't see anything right now that would rule out the possibility of a 2014 level squad as the season and team mature. First games are hard to judge. CPJ'ism: we've got a chance to be good.
As far as the game goes:
The good:
Passing game - QB, WR's, AB's, OL (mostly). This is huge and will give us a chance to win a lot of games. The ability to convert 3rd/4th downs again will get us closer to '14 than '15.
Simmons - Looked like a difference maker.
Defense - Except for giving up the huge run, they looked competent. I liked the way they stopped the run the rest of the time.
OL - decent pass blocking, we were starting to be able to establish the BBack before the Mills fumble against a stout BC midsection.
BBacks
The continued fight in all three phases.
JFT
THE WIN!

The bad:
Option game - bad reads, bad rhythm, a few busted assignments
Giving up a 70+ yard run right up the gut. Where's the safety play?
Fumble by Mills when we were driving, transformed momentum.
Little pressure on QB.
Blitzes weren't disguised well.

The maybe:
Cerge made some plays. He's pretty nimble out there, with that #54 I sometimes mistake him for a LB.
Shamire was still playing hard at the end of the game. We might have a very good OL if we stay healthy and continue to sharpen up.
Special teams - love JJ and Stewart so far, Butker is going to have a monster year and go on to a good pro career, I didn't think Rodwell did too bad either but had some unfortunate bounces. FG block was YUUUUGE!
Terell Lewis looked like he belonged out there.
Would've thought AJ Gray's presence would've been felt more.
I would've thought Lynn Griffin would've gotten some snaps, but I don't remember seeing him out there. Same for Cottrell (though he would be more understandable from the injury).
The DL outside of Simmons. Freeman showed up some but didn't look 100% to me.

I like the look of this team, but the execution level has to ramp up as we go. I don't see anything right now that would rule out the possibility of a 2014 level squad as the season and team mature. First games are hard to judge. CPJ'ism: we've got a chance to be good.
I though I would see Lynn Griffin as well. From what I saw at the end of last year, I thought he would contribute. Don't get me wrong. JJ Green is a good athlete but I saw a lot of missed assignments.

On another note. Guys I am in the hospital preparing for the installation of a LVAD. This is being used to keep me alive until the heart transplant. For those who pray. Lift up one for your boy. For those who don't wish me luck. Thanks

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I though I would see Lynn Griffin as well. From what I saw at the end of last year, I thought he would contribute. Don't get me wrong. JJ Green is a good athlete but I saw a lot of missed assignments.

On another note. Guys I am in the hospital preparing for the installation of a LVAD. This is being used to keep me alive until the heart transplant. For those who pray. Lift up one for your boy. For those who don't wish me luck. Thanks

I pray and I will.

This is largely true. But if you wanted to see fundamentally sound tackling look no further than Jemea Thomas. He would stick people and they generally went backwards. A fine football player.
One of few. They should all learn from him. All to often, we hit a guy, but we don't finish it off, and he breaks free or drags our man along with him for 5 more yards.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm saying it's possible CTR's D would be better with better players or more depth. We'll see this year since I think we have more playable depth.

I'm also saying that CTR is not to D what CPJ is to O in terms of scheme, development and playcalling but that Brown probably is.
I admit that I haven't watched a lot of BC defense but from what I've seen Brown is not a blitz happy type coordinator. It could be talent disparity between the O and D of the two teams but we did only give up one play to them yesterday and I believe that QB is legit. I think we may be better on D this year. Pass defense looked good. The two teams in my opinion were evenly matched on both sides of the ball. The results bear that out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I admit that I haven't watched a lot of BC defense but from what I've seen Brown is not a blitz happy type coordinator. It could be talent disparity between the O and D of the two teams but we did only give up one play to them yesterday and I believe that QB is legit. I think we may be better on D this year. Pass defense looked good. The two teams in my opinion were evenly matched on both sides of the ball. The results bear that out.

Brown has a reputation of being pretty aggressive actually. Here's a nice write-up:
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-new-michigan-defensive-coordinator-don-brown

From that article, here are Don Brown's Defenses:
upload_2016-9-5_16-22-59.png

I don't think BC's new play-caller, Reid, is as aggressive even though he's apparently running Brown's scheme. Still, I think what jumps out from that table is that he's not getting that improvement on D simply from new talent.

Last year's BC offense scored 0.61 ppd vs pwr5 opponents on average and allowed 1.19. By this stat, they were the worst offense that played more than 2 pwr 5 opponents and the best defense. That says something about those who want to blame poor field position from the offense for bad defense and vice versa.

Last year's GT offense scored 1.73 ppd vs pwr5 opp and allowed 2.47 (#55 and #54 of the 78 teams that played more than 2 pwr5 opp's).

In Saturday's game, BC scored 1.4 ppd (more than twice as efficient as their average last year) and allowed 1.89 ppd, which is more than they allowed anybody but Clemson last year. So, I think it's safe to say that our offense will be better than last year. When we score more efficiently than last year's average against a D that returned 8 starters from the best D in FBS last year, that should be a good sign that we're better. However, it's harder to tell whether we'll be better on D because we have no way of telling yet how much better BC's O will be from last year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

That's helpful. I have been conjecturing if CTR's style might, in an odd way, be more like Dabo, without the goofiness. Perhaps his strength, in the long run, is to be attractive to young athletes and eventually woo enough top talent that his scheme is no longer the issue. Of course, if that is even remotely true, it might mean a very successful defense which eventually gets out coached against Alabama during the national championship.