Postgame BC

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Brown has a reputation of being pretty aggressive actually. Here's a nice write-up:
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-new-michigan-defensive-coordinator-don-brown

From that article, here are Don Brown's Defenses:
View attachment 1832

I don't think BC's new play-caller, Reid, is as aggressive even though he's apparently running Brown's scheme. Still, I think what jumps out from that table is that he's not getting that improvement on D simply from new talent.

Last year's BC offense scored 0.61 ppd vs pwr5 opponents on average and allowed 1.19. By this stat, they were the worst offense that played more than 2 pwr 5 opponents and the best defense. That says something about those who want to blame poor field position from the offense for bad defense and vice versa.

Last year's GT offense scored 1.73 ppd vs pwr5 opp and allowed 2.47 (#55 and #54 of the 78 teams that played more than 2 pwr5 opp's).

In Saturday's game, BC scored 1.4 ppd (more than twice as efficient as their average last year) and allowed 1.89 ppd, which is more than they allowed anybody but Clemson last year. So, I think it's safe to say that our offense will be better than last year. When we score more efficiently than last year's average against a D that returned 8 starters from the best D in FBS last year, that should be a good sign that we're better. However, it's harder to tell whether we'll be better on D because we have no way of telling yet how much better BC's O will be from last year.
We'll see like you said it could be how the best players are used. I'm using the eye test and what I saw was one play we gave up. I saw two DCs that basically were playing run offenses with about the same degree of aggressiveness. I saw a QB for them that was a pretty good player. Time will tell.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Surprised JT wasn't for the O with the big plays at the end, and Simmons not on D with the strip sack and a couple tackles for loss.

I suspect that there might be a grading system per play. Missed reads in the option may have balanced out the clutch performance down the stretch for JT. Also, it's possible that Step's coverage kept a lot of passes from being thrown.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We'll see like you said it could be how the best players are used. I'm using the eye test and what I saw was one play we gave up. I saw two DCs that basically were playing run offenses with about the same degree of aggressiveness. I saw a QB for them that was a pretty good player. Time will tell.

Hey, there's no argument against the eye-test. People see what they see.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I though I would see Lynn Griffin as well. From what I saw at the end of last year, I thought he would contribute. Don't get me wrong. JJ Green is a good athlete but I saw a lot of missed assignments.

On another note. Guys I am in the hospital preparing for the installation of a LVAD. This is being used to keep me alive until the heart transplant. For those who pray. Lift up one for your boy. For those who don't wish me luck. Thanks
Thoughts & prayers for your quick recovery & for the doctors who will be working on you.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I suspect that there might be a grading system per play. Missed reads in the option may have balanced out the clutch performance down the stretch for JT. Also, it's possible that Step's coverage kept a lot of passes from being thrown.

Agreed. On rewatching it again, JT missed at least 4 BB reads, though he did a great job holding on to the ball generally, and especially when they had BB in the backfield. Qua had a crack block and two huge TD setting catches.

I don't believe that they have us "figured out" more so than anyone else, unless that means being prepared and athletic enough to be violent in the direction the keys take you. The read keys are as old as the offense, and there is no shortage of information on tendencies, since the software can update per package and pre-snap reads on the fly, and every coach shares knowledge, especially on this scheme.. The trick is getting the D to install and trust the tendencies, even when CPJ is playing games with them.

It's my opinion that BC was a big, athletic defense that was well prepared, like LSU '09. When it appears that they "know the play" it's because they are playing their read at full speed, and we don't have a counter that's meaningful -- e.g. bryan wasn't quick enough on the bootleg on the last drive and they occasionally took fullback in the backfield, bent back the OL and got up after cut blocks to make edge tackles. I count this as a tough win.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Why does this idea keep popping up? The guy has never been a defensive coach in his life.
I have to admit I thought he was the defensive coordinator at BC when the last coach left. I just looked it up not only wasn't he but never coached on that side of the ball. Thanks for pointing that out.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be. I sympathize with those who are always calling for more blitzes. Coach Roof says we do not have the players for a more aggressive scheme. Personally, I think we just don't have the horses especially up front. Just the way it is.

It really irks me that CTR makes this argument. Are we really expected to believe that BC, for example, recruits at that much higher of a level? I put very little stock in recruiting rankings. But for what it's worth, rankings indicate BC recruits slightly worse than GT. Example: GT #55 - BC #66 . Others have made this point as well. Maybe BC really does recruit Saban level talent only on D, but I doubt it. Are we really saying GT has less talent on D than every FCS team that runs bilitzes?

App State was getting after Dobbs and nearly upset Tennessee (E.g.) . If Roof thinks GT's talent level is that far behind the Sun Belt... maybe we should just de-emphasize athletics and be done with it.

If I see Mercer send five next week I'm gonna lose it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I though I would see Lynn Griffin as well. From what I saw at the end of last year, I thought he would contribute. Don't get me wrong. JJ Green is a good athlete but I saw a lot of missed assignments.

On another note. Guys I am in the hospital preparing for the installation of a LVAD. This is being used to keep me alive until the heart transplant. For those who pray. Lift up one for your boy. For those who don't wish me luck. Thanks

Prayers for a good match and successfull transplant up and out for you Leonard.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
With how CPJ talked about how we looked in camp I believe we had an off game. Last year he said that we weren't a good team in camp and we ended up not being good. This year he has said we look like a good team in camp. We didn't look very good against a good team, but we got the W. Let's clean it up this week and execute against Mercer and get ready for the meat of the schedule.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Defense is not our problem. We played very good defense with the exception of the long run. If you hold any team to 14 points you have done a hell of a job in modern day football. We can play better but we played pretty damn good Saturday.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Surprised JT wasn't for the O with the big plays at the end, and Simmons not on D with the strip sack and a couple tackles for loss.
Defense is not our problem. We played very good defense with the exception of the long run. If you hold any team to 14 points you have done a hell of a job in modern day football. We can play better but we played pretty damn good Saturday.

Go Jackets!
we gave up over 7 yards per play, and they didn't run hardly any plays which plays a factor into only scoring 14. Let us play a high powered O and us play D like we did Saturday and we will be in trouble.