Post Game

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
From this game forward there can be no more 3 or 4 man pass rushes. GTech just does not have the ability to get it done like that. The secondary has to tighten up, not give such a cushion. Time to take chances to get stops. Four teams have now gashed GTech for lots of rushing yards. Go Tech.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I didn't understand given a rhythm type QB in UNC why we didn't blitz early or try to get him out of rhythm early. Seems to me that keeping everything in front just allowed a rhythm QB to get into his groove.
Because even when we bring more people than they have blockers we still can't get to the QB...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am in favor of keeping CPJ, not because I am a CPJ homer, because I don't want to lose the recruiting class.

I understand that. But, have to do what you have to do...when it comes to firing a coach you can't take that class into account.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
From this game forward there can be no more 3 or 4 man pass rushes. GTech just does not have the ability to get it done like that. The secondary has to tighten up, not give such a cushion. Time to take chances to get stops. Four teams have now gashed GTech for lots of rushing yards. Go Tech.
I have been saying this since last year. If we are going down, I would rather go down blitzing and trying to make something happen on D vs just sitting back and getting gashed.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have really struggled with the zone read concepts on defense all year. It started with Wofford and it hasn't let up.

When Smelter turned the corner at it was apparent that he would get the first down, I was yelling go go go. When it looked like he was going to go all the way, I was yelling no no no. It is just surreal that I am sitting here playing the "what if" game, that losers often do, but this time I am thinking "what if Smelter hadn't gone for a score?" like it is a bad thing.

UNC is a good offense. There is no doubt about that. However, we needed to play them better than that. Any reference to them not being a good team on that side of the ball is just wrong IMHO. In fact, I would say their team is a lot like ours.

It is hard to imagine our offense could have played much better.

That false start on the TD was a killer. Couldn't afford to settle for 3 there.

Why didn't Butker dive on the on side kick?

I really don't think Roof is the source of the problem. The roster on defense at the LOS, just isn't where it needs to be. The lack of pressure with 4 or even 5 is beyond poor. I guess I feel compelled to ask what specifically any of us would do differently than he is doing? The only thing I can think of is bring a ton of pressure and hope for the best. We got burned when we did a few times today, but to me, it almost seems better if they score really quickly, when they are destined to score anyway. At least with pressure the chances of a negative play or a TO go up.

Their WRs blocked the crap out of our DBs all night.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Then recruit better? When is the last time we have been a 3 win program for several seasons?

I am not saying keep CPJ or fire CPJ...Just saying you can't be afraid of that. If you aren't happy with the results then you have to do something to try and fix it instead of just status quo.

I totally agree. But we need to fix school things at the same time for any change to matter. We had this same discussion with gailey. Its like groundhog day. One thing is consistent. Gt.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I totally agree. But we need to fix school things at the same time for any change to matter. We had this same discussion with gailey. Its like groundhog day. One thing is consistent. Gt.

Yep, but that isn't going to happen.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Interested in seeing how the team responds next week.

This was a heartbreaker of a loss, not sure how the young guys will respond to all the adversity they are going to see.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
We're moving the ball and we're scoring plenty of points on offense. Our offense isn't our problem. Our problem is the defense and has been the defense...through three different defensive coordinators and schemes. So don't waste your frustration on the offense. Offense simply isn't a problem unless you want to believe that scoring too quickly is a problem. And now that we are finally beginning to recruit some defensive players, let's not be in such a hurry to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
First last minute loss like this that i dont even feel bad about. I am like totally numb to the results now. Took 20 years. But i am like eh what a shock. I hate that too.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

This was a heartbreaker of a loss, not sure how the young guys will respond to all the adversity they are going to see.
I think we roll Pitt. Nothing special about there offense. James Conner and that's it.

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan

I for one bashed JT inappropriately last week which I should not have done, but I thought he responded well and did not try to force things this time around. Sad to see Laskey go out. Pitt is 2-1 in the division so I hope that they do not let it get to them to much.