Post Camp thoughts

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone who is more knowledgeable tell me where the freshmen LBs project as far as Sam/Mike/Will? Some systems cross train the outside guys and see where the kid fits best but I don't know if that's something we do here.
I don't think any of the new guys will play the Mike except for Dingle who is not yet at GT. Sam will be Bruce Swilling and the Will is Jaquan Henderson. TD Roof will also be at the will.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh he!! naw! I've been beating that drum for 2 weeks now. Don't try to steal my thunder!
I've been thinking it longer than that, just not out loud.

I'm excited to see how he performs. I think he could be the "evidence" to show QB's like DW and other highly rated dual-threat QB's that our offense is not a detriment to their progression and that with their unique abilities, this offense showcases their skill sets. We've struggled to get interest from the Watson/Winston/etc. type QBs. This offense just isn't for them. Well, if LJ (at 6'3" long and lean) can excel, then we will have empirical evidence to show potential recruits that our offense is good for ALL quarterbacks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First of all I think our current pitch is pretty much on target. I would add something though, I'd show them examples of NFL players from Georgia Tech who are successful at managing their money and have great jobs or own their own business after the NFL. And then I'd show them examples of factory NFL players who squander their money and then end up pennyless with no skills and no good job after their playing days are done.

glad you feel things are going well on the recruiting

I am acquainted w the safety coach and he is very positive about recruiting in secondary. It is obvious from row 6 behind the bench that we are trending to more football ready recruits. The red shirt freshman were the same size as a number of the starters. That said when i was on sideline pre MIA it is obvious that there coaches have a lot to work with on defensive talent.

i hope you are right and we have plenty of talent to be MUCH better this year .

THIS IS A JOKE -
We regret to inform you we will not be offering you a position as the special nationwide recruiter for defense talent.
Unfortunately we are seeking a more aggressive individual to support our major push to win a natty.

As stated we are so dedicated to getting top nationwide defensive talent that we are going to a much more aggressive scheme that will display their raw ability. We feel that the offense is ready to take the load and we need talent to get them the ball.

Please give our regards to Al Groh for telling you about GT. Many of us remember the day he left! Also your recommendation from Jerry the Jacket is a positive one as he and Ted Roof are good friends.

THIS is not a joke.
We just agree to disagree - i can t stand sending smaller dl players int a meat grinder then expecting them to get sacks.

i do think we all agree the defense is very close to being ready to be more aggressive.

Can you think about what level of improvement is expected on third down eff - i have seen we were 109!!!. from what i see and here we should be at least above 60 by mid season and in top 50 at end. What say you?

As JERRY says

GO JAckets

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Then you have failed in adding to the total number inconsequential posts on GTSwarm about our QB situation. You are doing GTSwarm all wrong! :)

Fwiw, I think you were on the the Lucas or Jay train for a while after I posted this:

This. JT was getting snaps in 2013. MJ is getting snaps in 2015 and 2016. Also I think Lucas is legit and may even challenge for snaps next year.

Also, I'm not sure that this year won't be better than 2014 and don't want to go backwards next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We just agree to disagree - i can t stand sending smaller dl players int a meat grinder then expecting them to get sacks.
Not sure what you are seeing where we disagree, ice. I want bigger DL's for sure. I also want them quicker, faster, better hand technique, better leverage, etc. I said I think our recruiting message is fine.

Our defensive recruiting has gotten better lately, too, but that's mostly on the backside. It's still far from ideal.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
In the past it seems we've recruited too many down hill thumpers at lb who's strong suit is not the ability to play in space. This has hindered us when playing spread teams. I feel like we got a lot more athletic at linebacker in the past recruiting cycle. Hopefully that's the start of a trend.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited for kickoff. Does anyone know when the pregame media guides should be out? I am looking forward to seeing the depth chart.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know you could have the same linebacker discussion about UGA. Very few college level linebackers jump off the page. In actuality there are very few great ones even in the NFL.

Go Jackets!