Post Camp thoughts

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Terrell Lewis is gone this year, and Brant is a Junior. We are not very deep at LB. CPJ has said multiple times that the freshmen LB will play. You will most definitely get your wish.
He's also said he'll play a guy only if he's better than the other guy. He won't play a guy just to get a certain number of guys in the rotation. If you're saying it's a sure bet they earn a spot on the 2-deep, then ok.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's also said he'll play a guy only if he's better than the other guy. He won't play a guy just to get a certain number of guys in the rotation. If you're saying it's a sure bet they earn a spot on the 2-deep, then ok.

Wait, are coaches don't play guys just because we want them to? :)

Brant, Lewis, and Vicious are NOT going to play every down? Tyler Cooksey, Jacob Brashear, Trey Jackson, and David Curry are the only other LBs in the group outside of the freshmen. None of those guys have the speed/size/athleticism that the freshmen have. That doesn't mean much of anything if the guys don't know the system to coaches liking, but CPJ did say the freshmen LBs will have to play this year. That leads me to believe the guys will get snaps.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm starting to wonder if there's some truth to the recruiting line about "you guys face a goofy offense in practice and never get better..." line. I used to sluff that off because coach does, but he has to, imagine how it would impact recruiting if he actually admitted it. Other than drill work, all of spring and fall camp scrimmage is against our O. Only the second to last week before the season do they go full bore against the scout team D, the week before is dialed down contact for the most part. And then in the season, tackling is dialed down as well. What is it, one day of tackling a week, if that?

It is impossible to know but I personally don't buy it. There are plenty of spread offenses that have really good defenses like Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State, TCU etc. and just as many pro-style teams like Vanderbilt, BC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State (until last year) that have good defenses as well. The Nebraska Blackshirts were some of the best defenses ever when they ran the wishbone in the late 90s, but it is always hard to compare different eras like that. The problem is nobody runs the flexbone spread in the P5 so we only have one data point to go off of.

Deleted member 2897

I just hope Henderson and Swilling get the same opportunity that VA and BM got, playing time as freshmen.

Yup, both 4* LBs on campus now. Justice Dingle (if he stays at LB) is in the 2018 class and a 4*. And we have literally like 5-6 guys as DBs who are 4* in the last class and current. The better the other guys are at their positions, the better the LBs will be too.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to wonder if there's some truth to the recruiting line about "you guys face a goofy offense in practice and never get better..." line. I used to sluff that off because coach does, but he has to, imagine how it would impact recruiting if he actually admitted it. Other than drill work, all of spring and fall camp scrimmage is against our O. Only the second to last week before the season do they go full bore against the scout team D, the week before is dialed down contact for the most part. And then in the season, tackling is dialed down as well. What is it, one day of tackling a week, if that?
IMO tackling needs to worked on a lot in Spring and first week of Fall camp. Does no good to be able to read a D if you can't tackle. Tackling and blocking are the fundamentals of football.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Julian Burnett had NFL talent, not fair to him to say that he didn't.

really, then why isn't he in it? I am missing something...if you say size, then I would say if he has NFL talent he makes it. Those are two different things. Look at sam mills etc. So, I don't agree with you man. Size is part of the talent equation too...etc...

someone below said neck injury. I remember that now..that could be one reason...but...i still say he wasn't an nfl pick..just my opinion.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The moral of the story, Roof sux. We get it. We have a pretty long thread on it.

ps You left ballin off you party list, shame.

oh, was he all-acc? My second list I think was all-acc so if I left him off my bad (i think hall, davis and burnett all made a team or honorable mention right?)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, a few points.
1) We send roughly the same percentage of 4* and higher recruits to the NFL as Alabama does. So there is never any guarantee that any given player will end up being your savior.
2) Vic Alexander was not a 4* recruit.
3) Vic Alexander has 2 full years of eligibility left.

Same goes with the other guys. There was a question about 'is it the system' or 'is it recruits'. We have a step change of recruits coming in according to the ratings, so we'll see in the next 1-2 years.

I fully admit the jury is still out on the guys we have today. But its not been too great the last 4-5 years....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn't he have a pretty significant neck injury?

i recall that...not sure if that means without he would have been nfl or not...maybe...but its not many on this list and he was recruited like what 7-8 years ago? The recent rash of LB's...has been not as good as we can imo

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please add to your line of thinking .
Main question.
How do we get to be consistently Good and possibly great (easily beat the weak teams in acc and go in even or better than even against miami uga) ?

IMO
Without consistently getting better defensive players this is not possible.

As u note we do all that practice against the defense in various sets spring and fall to prepare the Offense . Imo our defense knows our offense as well as anybody so the practice should be effective. As far as I can tell we only have SCOUT SPEED SIZE guys simulate the opposing offense.

To me it seems like the Offense should be able to carry us early in the season while the defense gets better.

Case 1A Currently the Head Coach and the DC this by asking smaller dl guys to occupy the line of scrimmage , play soft coverage till red zone. After we get into season the d has enough experience and can take more risk. We hear from coaches dc that players aren't coachable (talent) to be good at base defense.

Case 3B flip the 3A script and EARLY in the year had a very aggressive defense (safety blitz etc) with the idea of "even if we make d mistakes early we believe our offense will get better as it wears out your defense . We want max reps for offense early in year so it can be study by end of year ( getting reserves pt early in year builds REAL experience and excitement) . The same happens on defense - we may get burned on some plays but we also get better at creating turn overs. As we get better we are committed to bring my more aggressive so we can (when we have the defensive talent ) make the playoffs.

Cheese
YOU ARE BEING HIRED AS RECRUIER WHO MUST CONSISTANTLY GET REALLY TALENTED DEFENSIVE PLAYERS .
What's your pitch - we are committed to 1A as we have 5 years experience and while near bottom again last year. If u come we will get better.
1B we have dropped 1A and are going to build an NFL pipeline for defensive play makers. Our offensive scheme will carry us through the rough patches and when we are strong on D u will help us go after the NAT Champ.

I hope we are in process of the switch.
Average is not where u aim.

Last edited:

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
really, then why isn't he in it? I am missing something...if you say size, then I would say if he has NFL talent he makes it. Those are two different things. Look at sam mills etc. So, I don't agree with you man. Size is part of the talent equation too...etc...

someone below said neck injury. I remember that now..that could be one reason...but...i still say he wasn't an nfl pick..just my opinion.
He led the team in tackles 2 seasons in a row, and he only started in 8 as a freshman... I said he had NFL talent, and that it wasn't fair to have him pegged as a second tier LB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Please add to your line of thinking .
Main question.
How do we get to be consistently Good and possibly great (easily beat the weak teams in acc and go in even or better than even against miami uga) ?

IMO
Without consistently getting better defensive players this is not possible.

As u note we do all that practice against the defense in various sets spring and fall to prepare the Offense . Imo our defense knows our offense as well as anybody so the practice should be effective. As far as I can tell we only have SCOUT SPEED SIZE guys simulate the opposing offense.

To me it seems like the Offense should be able to carry us early in the season while the defense gets better.

Case 1A Currently the Head Coach and the DC this by asking smaller dl guys to occupy the line of scrimmage , play soft coverage till red zone. After we get into season the d has enough experience and can take more risk. We hear from coaches dc that players aren't coachable (talent) to be good at base defense.

Case 3B flip the 3A script and EARLY in the year had a very aggressive defense (safety blitz etc) with the idea of "even if we make d mistakes early we believe our offense will get better as it wears out your defense . We want max reps for offense early in year so it can be study by end of year ( getting reserves pt early in year builds REAL experience and excitement) . The same happens on defense - we may get burned on some plays but we also get better at creating turn overs. As we get better we are committed to bring my more aggressive so we can (when we have the defensive talent ) make the playoffs.

Cheese
YOU ARE BEING HIRED AS RECRUIER WHO MUST CONSISTANTLY GET REALLY TALENTED DEFENSIVE PLAYERS .
What's your pitch - we are committed to 1A as we have 5 years experience and while near bottom again last year. If u come we will get better.
1B we have dropped 1A and are going to build an NFL pipeline for defensive play makers. Our offensive scheme will carry us through the rough patches and when we are strong on D u will help us go after the NAT Champ.

I hope we are in process of the switch.
Average is not where u aim.
First of all I think our current pitch is pretty much on target. I would add something though, I'd show them examples of NFL players from Georgia Tech who are successful at managing their money and have great jobs or own their own business after the NFL. And then I'd show them examples of factory NFL players who squander their money and then end up pennyless with no skills and no good job after their playing days are done.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I never understand these types of comments. Of course they get the opportunity, it's called camp, it's called competition. Win your spot and see the field. Don't and don't. Do you guys actually think a coach would rather play a favorite kid rather than the best kid? Their career rides on every W and L.
I do wonder if sometimes coaches get content with playing a guy who's a junior or senior, even if a true freshman is just as good, simply because he's an upperclassmen. If a freshman is just as good that probably means he has a higher upside and will only get better. I look at situations like Rod and Simmons. Rod was the starter, but every time Simmons was on the field he was making a bigger play. I understand Rod was probably better in his assignment, but sometime you have to weight out if he is that much better in assignment, and if he's not, do you allow that to override play making ability? JMO... I'm not saying this is happening at GT but it does make me wonder.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Terrell Lewis is gone this year, and Brant is a Junior. We are not very deep at LB. CPJ has said multiple times that the freshmen LB will play. You will most definitely get your wish.
That's because they will have to play for depth reasons. That's not what this poster is talking about.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's because they will have to play for depth reasons. That's not what this poster is talking about.

What the heck you talking about, Willis?!!

"They will have to play for depth reasons"?!! OK...did I say anything other than that. OP said he hopes the freshmen get their chance, and I inferred because of depth, they probably will.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone who is more knowledgeable tell me where the freshmen LBs project as far as Sam/Mike/Will? Some systems cross train the outside guys and see where the kid fits best but I don't know if that's something we do here.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What the heck you talking about, Willis?!!

"They will have to play for depth reasons"?!! OK...did I say anything other than that. OP said he hopes the freshmen get their chance, and I inferred because of depth, they probably will.
He was saying he hopes they get their chance, as if he doesn't know if the coach will play the best, that's how I took it anyways. You were saying they will play because of depth. So that's not really saying the will get a chance imo it's just out of necessity if that makes sense. I get what you are saying though, I just think we saw it two different ways, no biggie.