Post Camp thoughts

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Any idea where UT's weaknesses are, and where we have a good matchup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The two times I saw them what stood out was excellent speed and athleticism. Exceptional talent at quarterback (gone I know), running back (ditto), and wide receiver. I forget his name but he will be the best we will see this year. He is the dude that caught the Hail Mary in the end zone with about half the Georgia team around him. Really fine defensive ends (both of them gone) kind of shaky at linebacker and good talent at defensive back but decimated by injuries by the end of the year. Not a good tackling team but loaded with speed on defense in some spots. Recruited the number one ranked high school offensive lineman last year and he will start. A talented team similar to Miami, UNC, and UGA that has a history lately of underachieving for a variety of reasons. They beat Virginia Tech in the opener and lost to Vanderbilt at the end of the season. Kind of tells you the story right there.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The two times I saw them what stood out was excellent speed and athleticism. Exceptional talent at quarterback (gone I know), running back (ditto), and wide receiver. I forget his name but he will be the best we will see this year. He is the dude that caught the Hail Mary in the end zone with about half the Georgia team around him. Really fine defensive ends (both of them gone) kind of shaky at linebacker and good talent at defensive back but decimated by injuries by the end of the year. Not a good tackling team but loaded with speed on defense in some spots. Recruited the number one ranked high school offensive lineman last year and he will start. A talented team similar to Miami, UNC, and UGA that has a history lately of underachieving for a variety of reasons. They beat Virginia Tech in the opener and lost to Vanderbilt at the end of the season. Kind of tells you the story right there.
Jajuan Jennings is the guy who caught the hail mary, I believe.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody know how the 5 true freshmen offensive linemen looked? If 2 or 3 of them played well, then that would add much needed depth to a really talented, but kind of thin O-line.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody know how the 5 true freshmen offensive linemen looked? If 2 or 3 of them played well, then that would add much needed depth to a really talented, but kind of thin O-line.
Agree it would be nice to have 1 more OG and 1 more OT to emerge, whether it be a freshman or a guy that's been on he team.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anybody else watch their Spring game? Kind of weird program. Started it out with a Butch Jones spiritual (I exaggerate) and then went into Oklahoma drills to fire people up. Very weird scoring system like extra points for making a first down on 2nd and longer than 8. A GT mathematician couldn't figure it out so I know Vol fans couldn't. More drills.

The essence of what I saw from the scrimmage was a spread offense with an accurate throwing QB who is not a runner. I don't think we will see much read option like with Dobbs. Don't mean to run him down though because his passes were on target albeit many were short throws and screen passes. Really spread the field out of the shotgun and a lot of read plays for both the running backs and wide receivers. Meaning try to get them the ball in space and let them find a path to run. The run game centers on spreading you out and then deep handoffs. Don't think Kelly even played. Hard to evaluate their defense against that type of offense. It's so different than ours.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I have no direct idea, but the second team offense was able to do okay in scrimmage apparently, and that would likely be several of those guys.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's why I said to an extent. Of course he's not your dream guy in doing that. But he has shown flashes of being able to do it to an extent. His issue imo in playing sideline to sideline is when he has the 1 on 1's. If he's able to just pursue on runs that stretch out wide he does ok. I'm not saying I want him doing this at all times, but I don't think it's accurate to say he can't play sideline to sideline at all.

I noticed brant doesn't hit the flats fast enough...and I am convinced he is not reading his keys and guessing run. I hope, this can be a maturity issue. he is not good, sideline to sideline IMO. What is the reason? Ability? Read keys? Guessing? Bad pursuit angles and getting caught in the wash. Yes to all. But...3 of those 4 can be taught. Ability can't. So while, he will never be great at it, he has to and can be better. He has enough ability...not NFL ability. But enough to be better than he has. And I would be he would be the first to admit it.

My biggest issue is this. Why is it, our LB's seem to be as big a weak link as anything? The DC coaches them. He recruits them now for 4-5 years. He played it. And, the D is actually geared to helping the LB somewhat in that the DL is asked to try to occupy 5 with 4.

So. Is it recruiting?
Is it coaching em up?

What is it?

I don't get it. There is no excuse to have anything below above avg LB play at tech (meaning top half of ACC). Its a position in NCAA even if you are not NFL ideal you can be all-acc (ie shorter or lighter); should be easier to recruit to as a result, and historically we have been REALLY good at that position except the last 4-5 years.

I mean look at our names dating back to 1997
Brooking (nfl)
Rogers (small nfl stint)
Uremovich
Smith (nfl)
Wimbush
key fox (nfl)
Reis for 1-2 seasons (nfl)
Guyton (nfl)
wheeler (nfl)
watts (nfl)
sneezy (hyrbid 3-4 but a LB in the nfl)
Gerris Wilkinson

Second level, not NFL talent but all-acc types or really good NCAA players
pj davis
julian burnett
kamichael hall

there may be more, but it just seems like lately its a big gap. really since 2013.

A good NCAA LB, can be an awesome starter by soph year or RS Soph year...so...its not a long cycle position like DL or OL...

anyway we should be better. We should have hit on these recruites better 2-3 years ago. Maybe we did. I hope to hell this season shows it.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I noticed brant doesn't hit the flats fast enough...and I am convinced he is not reading his keys and guessing run. I hope, this can be a maturity issue. he is not good, sideline to sideline IMO. What is the reason? Ability? Read keys? Guessing? Bad pursuit angles and getting caught in the wash. Yes to all. But...3 of those 4 can be taught. Ability can't. So while, he will never be great at it, he has to and can be better. He has enough ability...not NFL ability. But enough to be better than he has. And I would be he would be the first to admit it.

My biggest issue is this. Why is it, our LB's seem to be as big a weak link as anything? The DC coaches them. He recruits them now for 4-5 years. He played it. And, the D is actually geared to helping the LB somewhat in that the DL is asked to try to occupy 5 with 4.

So. Is it recruiting?
Is it coaching em up?

What is it?

I don't get it. There is no excuse to have anything below above avg LB play at tech (meaning top half of ACC). Its a position in NCAA even if you are not NFL ideal you can be all-acc (ie shorter or lighter); should be easier to recruit to as a result, and historically we have been REALLY good at that position except the last 4-5 years.

Brooking (nfl)
Rogers (small nfl stint)
Uremovich
Smith (nfl)
Wimbush
key fox (nfl)
Guyton (nfl)
wheeler (nfl)
watts (nfl)
Gerris Wilkinson

pj davis
julian burnett
kamichael hall

there may be more, but it just seems like lately its a big gap. really since 2013.

A good NCAA LB, can be an awesome starter by soph year or RS Soph year...so...its not a long cycle position like DL or OL...

anyway we should be better. We should have hit on these recruites better 2-3 years ago. Maybe we did. I hope to hell this season shows it.
I think Julian Burnett had NFL talent, not fair to him to say that he didn't.

Deleted member 2897

So. Is it recruiting?
Is it coaching em up?

What is it?

Brooking (nfl)
Rogers (small nfl stint)
Uremovich
Smith (nfl)
Wimbush
key fox (nfl)
Guyton (nfl)
wheeler (nfl)
watts (nfl)
Gerris Wilkinson

pj davis
julian burnett
kamichael hall

Well, we have 3 or 4 guys at Linebacker now who are 4* recruits, so give it some time - I think we only get better from here at that position.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

So. Is it recruiting?
Is it coaching em up?

What is it?

Brooking (nfl)
Rogers (small nfl stint)
Uremovich
Smith (nfl)
Wimbush
key fox (nfl)
Guyton (nfl)
wheeler (nfl)
watts (nfl)
Gerris Wilkinson

pj davis
julian burnett
kamichael hall

The moral of the story, Roof sux. We get it. We have a pretty long thread on it.

ps You left ballin off you party list, shame.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

So. Is it recruiting?
Is it coaching em up?

What is it?

Brooking (nfl)
Rogers (small nfl stint)
Uremovich
Smith (nfl)
Wimbush
key fox (nfl)
Guyton (nfl)
wheeler (nfl)
watts (nfl)
Gerris Wilkinson

pj davis
julian burnett
kamichael hall

I agree with this. That's why when I said he has the ability, but he's playing slow, I said I don't think it's his speed. More of a read, or guessing type of thing. Here's to hoping it gets better. I understand he's not the greatest at playing sideline to sideline but he definitely has the ability to an extent. He's shown flashes of it before.

FlakJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, we have 3 or 4 guys at Linebacker now who are 4* recruits, so give it some time - I think we only get better from here at that position.
We said the same thing about Mitchell, Alexander and Cooksey. Remember signing day when it was announced that Vic signed with us instead of Cal?? The room erupted with elation, as our problems at lb were then solved.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to wonder if there's some truth to the recruiting line about "you guys face a goofy offense in practice and never get better..." line. I used to sluff that off because coach does, but he has to, imagine how it would impact recruiting if he actually admitted it. Other than drill work, all of spring and fall camp scrimmage is against our O. Only the second to last week before the season do they go full bore against the scout team D, the week before is dialed down contact for the most part. And then in the season, tackling is dialed down as well. What is it, one day of tackling a week, if that?

Deleted member 2897

We said the same thing about Mitchell, Alexander and Cooksey. Remember signing day when it was announced that Vic signed with us instead of Cal?? The room erupted with elation, as our problems at lb were then solved.

Well, a few points.
1) We send roughly the same percentage of 4* and higher recruits to the NFL as Alabama does. So there is never any guarantee that any given player will end up being your savior.
2) Vic Alexander was not a 4* recruit.
3) Vic Alexander has 2 full years of eligibility left.

Same goes with the other guys. There was a question about 'is it the system' or 'is it recruits'. We have a step change of recruits coming in according to the ratings, so we'll see in the next 1-2 years.

FlakJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, a few points.
1) We send roughly the same percentage of 4* and higher recruits to the NFL as Alabama does. So there is never any guarantee that any given player will end up being your savior.
2) Vic Alexander was not a 4* recruit.
3) Vic Alexander has 2 full years of eligibility left.

Same goes with the other guys. There was a question about 'is it the system' or 'is it recruits'. We have a step change of recruits coming in according to the ratings, so we'll see in the next 1-2 years.
I just hope Henderson and Swilling get the same opportunity that VA and BM got, playing time as freshmen.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just hope Henderson and Swilling get the same opportunity that VA and BM got, playing time as freshmen.
I never understand these types of comments. Of course they get the opportunity, it's called camp, it's called competition. Win your spot and see the field. Don't and don't. Do you guys actually think a coach would rather play a favorite kid rather than the best kid? Their career rides on every W and L.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Terrell Lewis is gone this year, and Brant is a Junior. We are not very deep at LB. CPJ has said multiple times that the freshmen LB will play. You will most definitely get your wish.