Post-2016 NFL Draft - GT Players

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Tyron Taylor, Drew Bree's, Russell Wilson have all done well at 6'1 or shorter and Aaron Rodgers is only an inch taller.

IMHO VL is nowhere near a Bree's or Wilson talent. VL played against weaker competition after he left GT and it's laughable to think anyone would draft him. When you choose to leave a power 5 conference you just made it many more times difficult to play in the NFL. Especially at QB.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMHO VL is nowhere near a Bree's or Wilson talent. VL played against weaker competition after he left GT and it's laughable to think anyone would draft him. When you choose to leave a power 5 conference you just made it many more times difficult to play in the NFL. Especially at QB.
I agree, I was just saying you can be shorter and still successful at QB in the NFL

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Andy Hall left Tech to play at Delaware and managed to be drafted and stick on a roster for a couple years. The two are about the same size as well.

Andy Hall > Vad Lee?

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
It certainly could happen but I'm saying it's extremely difficult. Getting a tryout is a far cry from getting drafted which is a far cry from signing as an UDFA. Although starting as an UDFA is less difficult making a 53/PS roster than starting your NFL career on a tryout.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It certainly could happen but I'm saying it's extremely difficult. Getting a tryout is a far cry from getting drafted which is a far cry from signing as an UDFA. Although starting as an UDFA is less difficult making a 53/PS roster than starting your NFL career on a tryout.

If you aren't an all-pro in year 2, then you're no better than any other college football player. Am I doing it right, @dressedcheeseside ?

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't believe GT grads think that having a bunch of seniors picked up as UDFA camp bodies indicates a quality talent level in the program. An NFL UDFA camp guy is the equivalent of a guy being picked in the 37th round of the MLB draft to fill out a rookie league roster for a season. A college baseball program whose claim to having a good level is having 2-3 (scaling that number down from a college football team since baseball teams are smaller) guys taken in rounds 30-40 is...bad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe GT grads think that having a bunch of seniors picked up as UDFA camp bodies indicates a quality talent level in the program. An NFL UDFA camp guy is the equivalent of a guy being picked in the 37th round of the MLB draft to fill out a rookie league roster for a season. A college baseball program whose claim to having a good level is having 2-3 (scaling that number down from a college football team since baseball teams are smaller) guys taken in rounds 30-40 is...bad.

I can't believe a sports fan regardless of education could have made this post in this thread.

At the start of the summer, the 32 NFL teams have a 90 man roster made up of the 63 guys, if that, from last year's team plus practice squad with the rest filled out by guys from waivers, draft, udfa, etc.

A major league baseball club with 5 farm teams will ultimately have 150 players under contract after cuts.

Obviously, the standard for signing differs between seeking a top 53 and seeking a top 150.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe a sports fan regardless of education could have made this post in this thread.

At the start of the summer, the 32 NFL teams have a 90 man roster made up of the 63 guys, if that, from last year's team plus practice squad with the rest filled out by guys from waivers, draft, udfa, etc.

A major league baseball club with 5 farm teams will ultimately have 150 players under contract after cuts.

Obviously, the standard for signing differs between seeking a top 53 and seeking a top 150.
The point is still valid regardless. You make too much of a camp tryout.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The point is still valid regardless. You make too much of a camp tryout.

LOL. I haven't made that much of it. All I said was that it is harder to blame our struggles on D on talent.

Do you seriously disagree? Would you seriously argue that it would say nothing about talent if none signed as udfa? Lol

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL. I haven't made that much of it. All I said was that it is harder to blame our struggles on D on talent.

Do you seriously disagree? Would you seriously argue that it would say nothing about talent if none signed as udfa? Lol

If very few or no GT seniors made camp tryouts, that WOULD say a lot about our talent level, since being signed as an UDFA is very easy. However, the fact that many do make camp tryouts does not mean anything positive about our talent levels. Every P5 school worth anything at all will have all of their graduating seniors who had meaningful playing time be picked up as UDFA.

The UDFA signing process simply isn't a strong enough filter to draw any conclusions from the fact that our players tend to make it to that point.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gotsis got hurt early against UVA, so he missed that one, VT, Miami, and UGA. And 3 of those games were within a single score. Based on how the rest of the season went, we probably would have still found a way to blow those games anyways. It was just that type of "kick in the nuts" kind of season.
He also missed most of UNC (another game we should have won) because he got chucked in the first half for targeting. Missing Gotsis was a huge factor in our season results.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Missing Gotsis was a huge factor in our season results.

I think we've had this discussion on here before, and I won't argue that he was clearly our best player. I just just don't see how the results from before his injury were much different. Might have looked different on film, but the results stayed about the same.

Here are the points we gave up vs. Power 5 teams before his injury (I won't count unc either way):

30, 34, 43, 31, 16

Here are the points we gave up after his injury:
27, 23, 38, 13

It seems to me like GT not being able score more than 21 points without him was the much bigger factor.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
With only 7 rounds of the NFL draft, UDFA play a much bigger role now than they did when there was 15 rounds. A camp tryout is much different IMO than a UDFA contract.