Positive press

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The big question is... does GT keep moving the financial needle to pay for the coaches. At one point winning means a higher consistent price to maintain.

So when we have to pay Key $6-9m a year and each OC $1.2-1.5m a year will GT faithful answer that call? If GT becomes a perennial playoff contender then Keys salary likely hits close to $10m

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Slow down there, folks. Like the short-sighted enterprising “analyst” that he is, he won’t stop from making backhanded compliments in his quest for clicks.

Fk him. Faulkner will earn a chance to be a HC soon. "Back at UGA"? What's the point of saying that as a supposed unbiased observer.

Maybe there are reasons he left. Maybe he didn't like his family being around them soulless aholes. Maybe he didn't enjoy living in Bumfunk, GA.

The idea that, to be at an elite spot, he has to leave for 'another' program is rich. And, yes, that's how I think he meant that to be taken.

#It'sAlwaysHateWeekBois

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Fk him. Faulkner will earn a chance to be a HC soon. "Back at UGA"? What's the point of saying that as a supposed unbiased observer.

Maybe there are reasons he left. Maybe he didn't like his family being around them soulless aholes. Maybe he didn't enjoy living in Bumfunk, GA.

The idea that, to be at an elite spot, he has to leave for 'another' program is rich. And, yes, that's how I think he meant that to be taken.

#It'sAlwaysHateWeekBois
You forgot to add, maybe he does not want his kids on the streets of “GTA-Clarke County”, once they get their driver’s licenses.

Edit: Or is it “Fast & Furious - Athens Drift”?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

#It'sAlwaysHateWeekBois
I doubt he jumps at just any offer. He can be picky and take a good fit for him. Some have reported he has a son still in Athens so if true, he could easily be hired back there at OC for more than we can match. I hope he likes working on this staff. We also seem to have a bunch of good kids on this team that are fun to coach. Sometimes there are more reasons to stay or leave than just money.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he jumps at just any offer. He can be picky and take a good fit for him. Some have reported he has a son still in Athens so if true, he could easily be hired back there at OC for more than we can match. I hope he likes working on this staff. We also seem to have a bunch of good kids on this team that are fun to coach. Sometimes there are more reasons to stay or leave than just money.
Knock on wood… we don’t have that destructive culture that is currently in Athens. My theory is guys like that typically don’t last more than 2 semesters at Tech.

Last edited:

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There is this also. GT wins 10 games and he will be worshipped as a hero. Win 10 games at UGA and the team and coaching will be seen as a failure. Can be more motivating to climb the mountain than try and keep from falling off.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
If we’re winning enough that warrants folks wanting to poach our coordinators, I have a feeling the money to match will magically appear. Considering how much we’re paying some of these artists to play helluva block party, I think we’ll be alright.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
My way too early thought process on Key. What if the Bama coach flops? Bama has the deepest pockets of almost anyone else.

I have a very hard time believing Key would leave us on his own accord. He loves this school/program and I think if he’s doing well enough that a factory wants him then we’d find the money to get it done (whether that’s as much as the factory was offering or not).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I have a very hard time believing Key would leave us on his own accord. He loves this school/program and I think if he’s doing well enough that a factory wants him then we’d find the money to get it done (whether that’s as much as the factory was offering or not).
Agreed, and I don't think you have to look any further than Josh Petty to know we have donors who are aligned and willing to pony up against the big boys to build a successful program. If CBK is taking us to the playoffs, the money will be there.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, and I don't think you have to look any further than Josh Petty to know we have donors who are aligned and willing to pony up against the big boys to build a successful program. If CBK is taking us to the playoffs, the money will be there.
Agreed. Donors will pay up for Key before they pay for another Petty.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I said this before in a couple different threads after he got hired. I believe, this is where Key wants to be long term and he will do whatever it takes to make this program successful. His contract has a lower base salary than TFG but has more incentive based pay. He did this so that he could have more money to pay for better assistant coaches because he knew that would help the program. He is also betting on himself because if he doesn't make Tech a better program, he doesn't get paid nearly as much. This man bleeds white and gold!

As others have mentioned, I think that if he has improved this program to the point the major factories look to hire him at HC, the Tech donors (and administration) will get enough together to make sure money is not a factor. It also likely won't need to be nearly as much as the factories are willing to pay.

I do worry about our assistant coaches moving on but currently I think it would be more due to position promotions (i.e. coordinator to HC or position coach to coordinator) and less due to a lateral move to a bigger program. However, if our coaches are moving on to better jobs, it just means our program is successful and that's a good thing. Plus Key has shown he knows how to pick good quality coaches.