Positive press

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I see a lot of "If other teams come calling, we can increase his salary to stay".

That's too late. If he is worth that money then he needs to get it before he is being interviewed.

Don't wait until someone has a better offer in hand to offer them a raise, that doesn't work well in the corporate world and it won't work well here.
Having the best position coach while playing big time teams will give plenty of film to get to NFL.
Money for w r that can get open when the pressure is max.

We have a qb who tied the hiesman qb in yds and tds. He had to be the coach on field in a high risk run the ball offense, who ran for key first downs, made drive extending passes with a dirty pocket. Good film about order out of chaos

Is the faulkner offense a route to nfl as well as winning. Or do your stats get labeled as scheme stats.

Eric singleton got very few pass targets. I think he caught his second pass,at end of game. The NCSt wr is targeted all the time by the transfer qb. Both are hoping for nfl chance.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ was offered the Auburn job (turned it down) and expressed interest in the Tennessee job, but didn’t follow through. He later said he just enjoyed the environment and kids at Tech and didn’t want the pressure of a big time program. I think Key is from the same bolt of cloth.

I've heard CPJ mention getting other offers. I don't think I've ever heard a specific team named. But I trust you'd know the truth of it if you're sharing. Would that have been in 2012 Auburn offered? Really interesting 'what if' to ponder... I imagine it would've been conditional on him 'updating' his offense... He'd have given Saban fits running option over there. Who would M-Bob have hired to replace him at Tech? (I shudder to think.)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've heard CPJ mention getting other offers. I don't think I've ever heard a specific team named. But I trust you'd know the truth of it if you're sharing. Would that have been in 2012 Auburn offered? Really interesting 'what if' to ponder... I imagine it would've been conditional on him 'updating' his offense... He'd have given Saban fits running option over there. Who would M-Bob have hired to replace him at Tech? (I shudder to think.)
He was to replace Chizik.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
B*** L**** was still young enough at that time.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious as to whether the new environment with (potentially) direct payments to players from athletic department revenues will slow the increase in coaches' salaries. On the one hand, it does seem that carving out a piece of the pie to go to the player should reduce the ability to spend on coaches. On the other hand, the new environment seems to be a lot more stressful and you might need to compensate coaches to keep them in the college ranks. Going to be a fascinating time.

yoshiki2

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ was offered the Auburn job (turned it down) and expressed interest in the Tennessee job, but didn’t follow through. He later said he just enjoyed the environment and kids at Tech and didn’t want the pressure of a big time program. I think Key is from the same bolt of cloth.
I agree. Pressure at Tech is not the same as the pressure you get at Ohio State or Alabama.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
People inquire about jobs, express interest in jobs, are offered jobs, and turn down jobs all the time. How serious any of this was is likely only know by Paul and the schools involved.

I enjoyed watching him coach our team. The highs were as high as you can get without winning the natty and the lows were few, but still had memorable moments (2015 fsu).

As for Key, who the hell knows. He went to Tech, but grew up in Alabama and coached under Saban (which I guarantee everyone related to the Alabama football program is keenly aware of right now). Let’s enjoy him while he’s coaching and hope we have the resources to keep him if he’s successful. That’s the best we can hope for.

yoshiki2

Jolly Good Fellow
People inquire about jobs, express interest in jobs, are offered jobs, and turn down jobs all the time. How serious any of this was is likely only know by Paul and the schools involved.

I enjoyed watching him coach our team. The highs were as high as you can get without winning the natty and the lows were few, but still had memorable moments (2015 fsu).

As for Key, who the hell knows. He went to Tech, but grew up in Alabama and coached under Saban (which I guarantee everyone related to the Alabama football program is keenly aware of right now). Let’s enjoy him while he’s coaching and hope we have the resources to keep him if he’s successful. That’s the best we can hope for.
It comes a point where you earn enough money, and you need to decide not only about money but also quality of life. That's why Messi moved to Miami. He's able to go around and shop at a supermarket, or live a somehow normal life. Something he's not able to do in Europe. I agree with you, though. Hopefully we can become a top 10 team.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Practice like you play. Efford is a tackle monster.

Tackle Waterboy GIF by The Human Tackboard