Portal Watch 2022-23

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping we could keep him to use in a Tim Byerly type of role. However, I completely understand him transferring since Pyron likely has the starter role next year.
I certainly believe Pyron would be especially if we only bring in HS recruits at that position. A top transfer will likely want a guarantee to start before coming in. I can't see BK doing that. Sorry Taisun decided to transfer. He was a huge contributor in the win over UNC.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I can understand Taisun's decision, given that he had little opportunity to showcase his QB abilities while at Tech. He was basically used as a running back in most of the (very few) opportunities he had while here.

He was the #3 rated QB (247) coming out of high school. I'm sure he's been frustrated at how his college career has gone. Despite his injury before transferring to Tech, it's puzzling to me how an athlete so highly regarded would end up so low on the depth chart.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, are we getting killed or holding our own? Or is it too early to tell?

Be Patient Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I can understand Taisun's decision, given that he had little opportunity to showcase his QB abilities while at Tech. He was basically used as a running back in most of the (very few) opportunities he had while here.

He was the #3 rated QB (247) coming out of high school. I'm sure he's been frustrated at how his college career has gone. Despite his injury before transferring to Tech, it's puzzling to me how an athlete so highly regarded would end up so low on the depth chart.
Difference in high school and college football

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Given that there is absolutely no guarantee that Pyron will be ready to play in the fall, much less in the spring, I'm surprised that Phommachanh is thinking about the portal. There's nothing to say that he couldn't beat out Gibson and, if he started in the fall, Pyron might never see the field. But perhaps he has been hearing - indirectly, of course - that a spot will be opening for him elsewhere. I'm sure someone will take a flier on his talent alone.

Well, again, good luck, Taisun! Thanks for your efforts for Tech. I enjoyed watching you play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Given that there is absolutely no guarantee that Pyron will be ready to play in the fall, much less in the spring, I'm surprised that Phommachanh is thinking about the portal. There's nothing to say that he couldn't beat out Gibson and, if he started in the fall, Pyron might never see the field. But perhaps he has been hearing - indirectly, of course - that a spot will be opening for him elsewhere. I'm sure someone will take a flier on his talent alone.

Well, again, good luck, Taisun! Thanks for your efforts for Tech. I enjoyed watching you play.
The RPO every down has left the building.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I was hoping we could keep him to use in a Tim Byerly type of role. However, I completely understand him transferring since Pyron likely has the starter role next year.
C’mon, really. Isn’t it inherently obvious that someone whispered in Taisun’s ear that he didn’t have a place in next year’s plan? I think the coaches offered a palatable exit strategy good for all parties. Key has a plan.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
C’mon, really. Isn’t it inherently obvious that someone whispered in Taisun’s ear that he didn’t have a place in next year’s plan? I think the coaches offered a palatable exit strategy good for all parties. Key has a plan.
I don’t think we’re in a position to actively be running off experienced QBs unless we’re very confident we’re going to bring others in. It’s far more likely Taisun is fully healthy going into the off-season and wants one more shot to be a full-time starting QB somewhere. Even if that means dropping down to the G5 or FCS level a la Jordan Yates and Lucas Johnson.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I myself 100% acknowledge and appreciate real honesty in this day of age! Let’s bring him in…
So you want to go ahead and roll the dice on someone who openly undermines the leadership at his current school? Ok, sounds like a sure win

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Also we are now (apparently according to some recruits) rescinding offers from high schoolers for that of portal recruits. Including those who were committed. Not sure how I feel about that tbh
They can choose to not sign on signing day. How do you feel about that?