Portal Watch 2022-23

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the 247 site no longer lists Nate McCollum in our outgoing portal list.
My “theory” is the 247 site prior to the opening of the real portal, is just a way for players to gauge interest from other teams. I suspect that a lot of them reach out to coaches at other schools that recruited them out of high school. I’m still salty over losing Gibbs and Ivey last year, and suspect they both had guys working a deal for them. It’s a roll of the dice to put yourself in the portal without real interest from a place you would rather be AND with an NIL deal already in place. I think it parallel the recruiting cycle. You’re committed until a better offer comes your way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Midtown: Steps to the Moderator Podium...

Shuffles papers.. Clears throat.. stares at the red and black Coke product an intern left out....

"TFG is traditionally used to refer to "The Former Guy" we are allowing that as a nickname for Coach Collins in the same way people type Bill Lewis as B*** L****.

For those adding the extra "f" to TFG, the mods are interpreting that as a derogatory shot at a former coach, which is an actionable violation of site rules. Other similarly non savory nicknames for former or current players or coaches will also be removed and points awarded as needed.

There is absolutely no reason to continue to dwell in negativity on former players or coaches. Especially in a thread specifically about change"

Slaps the red and black coke product off the podium and suggests the marketing intern find a better color label next time

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
He had rotator cuff surgery as well. I’m going to get @FredJacket & @NavyNuke to fill us in on the recovery time for such.
I'm neither one but 3 years ago (at 63 years old) I had full thickness tears to two of the four tendons that make up the rotator cuff. I was taking full swings with a golf club within six weeks, probably sooner than I should have. A childhood friend who was a baseball playing dwag was my surgeon.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have had rotator cuff surgery. Six weeks with arm in a sling and twice weekly passive PT. Then gradually increasing active PT for 6-8 weeks. This could be less for a young athlete. The primary goal is to build strength and flexibility in the supraspinatus. 100% recovery is likely if treatment regimen is followed.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Shuffles papers.. Clears throat.. stares at the red and black Coke product an intern left out....

"TFG is traditionally used to refer to "The Former Guy" we are allowing that as a nickname for Coach Collins in the same way people type Bill Lewis as B*** L****.

For those adding the extra "f" to TFG, the mods are interpreting that as a derogatory shot at a former coach, which is an actionable violation of site rules. Other similarly non savory nicknames for former or current players or coaches will also be removed and points awarded as needed.

There is absolutely no reason to continue to dwell in negativity on former players or coaches. Especially in a thread specifically about change"

Slaps the red and black coke product off the podium and suggests the marketing intern find a better color label next time
But I still have serious Derogatory thoughts about B*** L****? No F?

I need to get past that looser and then work through TFG. The F helps with the PTSD venting frustrations. :)

But isnt derogatory to imply you are impugning their character/skill set worse than it is. To Imply an untruth? In these cases the truth is just the truth. So one could legitimately argue the extra F is warranted and not derogatory.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

What if the extra F is just because I have a stutter? The f-former guy 😁

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Hey! I was using the extra "F" because I thought he was "Fabulous". Or was it "Fashionable"?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But I still have serious Derogatory thoughts about B*** L****? No F?

I need to get past that looser and then work through TFG. The F helps with the PTSD venting frustrations. :)

But isnt derogatory to imply you are impugning their character/skill set worse than it is. To Imply an untruth? In these cases the truth is just the truth. So one could legitimately argue the extra F is warranted and not derogatory.

It's not a neutral word. It is used either as an expression of fondness, as typified when it was added into the Josh Nesbitt (JmfN) or as an expression of derision. Since there are very few fonts here with any fondness for CGC, so we are deeming the extra "f" to be derogatory.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The coaching change from Collins to Key is a free transfer for any of our players, including Taisun. He won’t have to sit out a year.
@slugboy

That is not the case, this season. Graduate Transfers: yes. Recruits coming in: yes. Players on the team who have used the Portal previously: no!
They are subject to the previous transfer rules from back in 2020.
I assume recruits coming in to GT would not be eligible for this since Key has been announced as the head coach before the signing period in December. My guess is this would only applied to recruits who have signed for the following year and the coach is fired or leaves after the recruit has signed.

slugboy

Staff member
I assume recruits coming in to GT would not be eligible for this since Key has been announced as the head coach before the signing period in December. My guess is this would only applied to recruits who have signed for the following year and the coach is fired or leaves after the recruit has signed.
The coaching change automatic waiver is apparently gone. A couple of the other posters replied to me about that, and the current NCAA info agrees with that.
There are some automatic waivers, like going back to your original school when you got no playing time at the new school. One of the most popular hardship waivers is “run off”, which I read as “they pushed me into the portal, let me play”. Hardship waivers aren’t automatic