Portal Update

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I have personally sat in a room where it was said. I have personally sat in a room and heard we are not paying you this much money to ride the pine. I have far too many baseball connections from East to West and yes, players have been told they will start. While most of those players have jobs or are playing pro now, I still know a handful in college and it still happens. Believe what you want but it happens, and at GT.
I have no doubt it happens at some schools. When you say you have personally sat in a meeting and heard it said was that at Georgia Tech? And if so, who was the player that was told to? If you are going to make claims like that please provide specifics otherwise it just sounds like something stated out of spite for whatever reason.

I can see a player being told we are not paying you this much money to ride the pine, but that is a big difference from a player being promised they will be a starter without having to earn it on the field. I can see a player being told we see you starting for us next year as part of recruiting but again that is a far cry from being promised a spot. As far as I'm concerned every recruit should be viewed as a potential starter otherwise why recruit them at all. I don't think our coaches are recruiting backup players. That would be foolish.

So if you are going to make claims that Tech is being shady then back it up with facts and specifics or you won't be believed. The internet is full of unsubstantiated rumors.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It's too not to and I never watch the trash on CNN. You say you won't put a player's name or a parent to your claims but you have no problem disparaging our head coach with your claims. How is that any different? So I will choose to trash your comments just like you choose to trash our coach with them and I won't lose any sleep over it either.

Shanna

Georgia Tech Fan
Just as a point of discussion, mainly just highlighting your point about top level programs pulling the best from the lower level schools:

Have you looked at UGa's list of incoming transfers? Right now they have 19 players coming in, including Alabama's leader in saves from this past season, two of Georgia State's top hitters based on OPS, UNC-Asheville's CF and top hitter, Wofford's catcher and one of their top hitters, Florida Atlantic's 2B and top hitter by OPS, UT-Arlington's 2B and RBI leader, Air Force's 2nd best hitter.

OK Shanna, I'm gonna take your advice and "ask around". I'll start by asking you...why is Kovala leaving?
He lost his scholarship. It was given to an incoming transfer. He did not want to leave
Not true, it was all about the money. Going to school overseas is expensive, especially at Tech.
Like I said - nothing to d
It sounds like you are saying he left because they didn't promise him he was going to be a starter. If that's the case, then I'm not that sorry he left. Starting positions have to be earned, not given. If I was a coach and a kid came to me and said he wanted to be a starter I would say good then show me what you got this off season. I certainly wouldn't promise him that he would be a starter just because he asked. I'm sure virtually every pitcher on the roster wants to be a starter.
That wasn't the conversation. The guys want to compete. They thrive on competition. He was told he is no longer needed.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

Trying to keep a running tab. I've got 15 so far. Anyone know which 3 I'm missing? And if the answer is any combination of Burress, Jaros, Kerce, or McKee, I may just go hide under a rock somewhere.

Kovala
Finateri
Graziano
Lovett
Jolley
Diamant
Smith
Senese
Minnick
Byers
Gaspard
Sabathia
Craska
Busse
Romano

Shanna

Georgia Tech Fan
100%. I don't believe it happens. Even if a recruit (or his mother) tells me it happened... I don't believe it.
Then you are choosing not to live in reality. There are also texts to recruits as the "court" them to commit. Many promises are made and many are not upheld.

And Jaros just entered the portal today. I have been told 2 more are likely this week.
With all due respect Tech has a top 10 class for the next three years as of right now. I do not like us getting players from the portal and would rather us develop OUR guys so what goes on when they get there can be up for discussion.
Well, I guess we will have to see who gets drafted/opts not to come to Tech, who gets cut, and who quits after the fall. I think portal speaks volumes for GT baseball right now. This team was one of the most talented teams in recent years. You cannot expect incoming freshmen to carry an ACC team. A few, yes, not 26-30.
I have no doubt it happens at some schools. When you say you have personally sat in a meeting and heard it said was that at Georgia Tech? And if so, who was the player that was told to? If you are going to make claims like that please provide specifics otherwise it just sounds like something stated out of spite for whatever reason.

I can see a player being told we are not paying you this much money to ride the pine, but that is a big difference from a player being promised they will be a starter without having to earn it on the field. I can see a player being told we see you starting for us next year as part of recruiting but again that is a far cry from being promised a spot. As far as I'm concerned every recruit should be viewed as a potential starter otherwise why recruit them at all. I don't think our coaches are recruiting backup players. That would be foolish.

So if you are going to make claims that Tech is being shady then back it up with facts and specifics or you won't be believed. The internet is full of unsubstantiated rumors.
LOL It's not "shady" - it's recruiting. My goodness get your head out of the sand. How do you think they "sell" their program to recruits? Playing time! "You're going to throw a lot of innings for us," "You're going to be our starting SS" Do you really think Green would have left NC State if he HADN'T been told this?! ALL SCHOOLS DO THIS!
Trying to keep a running tab. I've got 15 so far. Anyone know which 3 I'm missing? And if the answer is any combination of Burress, Jaros, Kerce, or McKee, I may just go hide under a rock somewhere.

Kovala
Finateri
Graziano
Lovett
Jolley
Diamant
Smith
Senese
Minnick
Byers
Gaspard
Sabathia
Craska
Busse
Romano
Jaros today
Vaughan

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow

Kovala
Finateri
Graziano
Lovett
Jolley
Diamant
Smith
Senese
Minnick
Byers
Gaspard
Sabathia
Craska
Busse
Romano
D1 lists 17
Jaros is one, just went in today. Vaughn is the other.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
He lost his scholarship. It was given to an incoming transfer. He did not want to leave
OK, so this is a decision that I personally disagree with (I think Kovala has a high ceiling), but this is different than players leaving because they hate the pitching coach. Presumably Taylor believes that he can get better use of the scholly from a certain transfer than he can from Kovala. I hate that college sports has become this type of environment, but it is what the players apparently want based on their actions. I agree with posters such as Eli and KillerBee who felt we played too many transfers over some of our freshmen, but I also remember during our hot streak in April when we as a board were celebrating the fact that we were leaning on the veteran players more and thus getting better results. Given that the environment has become one of personnel management a la Alex Anthopolous over developing players, these debates are legit but don't necessarily mean that the coaches are hated. And again, I strongly dislike this new environment we have in college sports and much prefer developing kids over a 2-3 year period.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
D1 lists 17
Jaros is one, just went in today. Vaughn is the other.
Thanks, I could've sworn I had included Vaughn, I suspect in one of my cut/paste actions I must have over-written him (there's a joke there somewhere, but I'll avoid going there :))

Jaros hurts, IMO. He is another player I could see really developing into a strong player. I will be watching to see where he lands, but is this perhaps a case of economics? Or maybe not, as Fitted said, maybe there is a culture issue.

Last edited:

Shanna

Georgia Tech Fan
Ryan Jaros has entered the portal….perhaps there is a culture problem. It has gone from how many players graduated and/or are leaving to how many do we have left?
There is a "toxic environment" that has been used to describe the current situation.
OK, so this is a decision that I personally disagree with (I think Kovala has a high ceiling), but this is different than players leaving because they hate the pitching coach. Presumably Taylor believes that he can get better use of the scholly from a certain transfer than he can from Kovala. I hate that college sports has become this type of environment, but it is what the players apparently want based on their actions. I agree with posters such as Eli and KillerBee who felt we played too many transfers over some of our freshmen, but I also remember during our hot streak in April when we as a board were celebrating the fact that we were leaning on the veteran players more and thus getting better results. Given that the environment has become one of personnel management a la Alex Anthopolous over developing players, these debates are legit but don't necessarily mean that the coaches are hated. And again, I strongly dislike this new environment we have in college sports and much prefer developing kids over a 2-3 year period.
I don't like the portal, NLI and all that college sports has become either. The problem with your statement about giving Kovala's scholarship to another transfer - is when does that stop? If this happens every year, essentially there is no development, and no loyalty to who you recruited. It's simply not sustainable. This would cause a roster flip yearly. Unfortunately it's dog eat dog. Coaches are not "hated" but it is a very toxic environment and guys do not want to play in it. Pitchers are leaving due to Taylor, and that's not debatable. Players will tell you this, other schools will tell you this. Tech was supposed to get a pitcher from another in state school 2 weeks ago but declined due to pitching coach/coaching environment. This stuff spreads quickly among players. Players will protect other players. Tech leads the ACC in portal entries and it still has a few days before it closes. I do feel that a new staff would/could be beneficial.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Its hard to believe we flushed a pitcher who showed promise and yanked his scholly. IMO, this coaching staff are the ones that need to be flushed if that is indeed the case. That is not how GT should operate even in today's world.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a "toxic environment" that has been used to describe the current situation.

I don't like the portal, NLI and all that college sports has become either. The problem with your statement about giving Kovala's scholarship to another transfer - is when does that stop? If this happens every year, essentially there is no development, and no loyalty to who you recruited. It's simply not sustainable. This would cause a roster flip yearly. Unfortunately it's dog eat dog. Coaches are not "hated" but it is a very toxic environment and guys do not want to play in it. Pitchers are leaving due to Taylor, and that's not debatable. Players will tell you this, other schools will tell you this. Tech was supposed to get a pitcher from another in state school 2 weeks ago but declined due to pitching coach/coaching environment. This stuff spreads quickly among players. Players will protect other players. Tech leads the ACC in portal entries and it still has a few days before it closes. I do feel that a new staff would/could be beneficial.
I agree it's not sustainable from a fan POV (not good for the game), but I think it probably is sustainable from a competition POV.

A baseball team (failing a bunch of injuries) needs about 12 hitters and probably 13 pitchers. To meet those needs you bring in 5 or so hitters each year from the high school ranks, keep 2 or 3 of them for year 2 (this year that is Burress, Kerce, and Lackey for us) and over a 3 year period you have between 6 and 9 hitters. Let's cut that down the middle and say that you have 8 good home grown players per season (4 freshmen, 2 sophomores, 2 juniors). With the shortened MLB draft you can probably assume that you'll have 1 John Giesler type who stick around more than 3 years, so now you have covered 9 of the 12 spots needed with home grown talent. For those final 3 spots you hit the portal for SoCon or C-USA players who have been developing over the past 3 years. That seems sustainable.

The pitching side is more challenging, since scouting is much harder for pitchers than hitters, and also injuries are much more common. But a smart coach will scale for that and bring in about 8 freshmen pitchers each season with the goal of hitting on maybe 3 of them. One each year for a weekend starter, one each year for a mid-week starter, and one each year for a bullpen piece. That's 9 arms, and now you need to find about 4 each year between home grown 4th year seniors and transfer portal additions. Admittedly we have struggled in this area, as this year (for example) I only see McKee as the weekend starter piece, Ballard as the mid-week starter piece, but apparently NOT Kovala as the bullpen piece. And years prior to 2024, I don't see a whole bunch homegrown talent there outside of Riley Stanford.

Its really not any different than how a major league team builds their roster. They need homegrown talent for sure, but very few teams can depend on strictly homegrown talent. The biggest issue, from where I sit, is that these are college kids hopefully trying to get an education while also playing ball, not grown men who know they are entering a cut throat industry.

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Jaros would have been a starter another guy with a high ceiling just the same as Grazziano. I think we need to clean house Ramsey isn’t the guy

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Starting to smell funny around GT Baseball. Say what you want about other posters, and their tales of woe. That's a lot of folks going into the portal, and I haven't seen anything extraordinary coming back in.

My impression is now firmly in the camp that Batt has decided to leave this well enough alone until he has football (#1 revenue sport) and basketball (#2 revenue sport) firmly under control.